1898/99

Ludo*1

Bit obscure but seen on FM that Dundee hold the top flight record for lowest points tally ever with a grand total of 4. Just inquiring if anyone knows the background as to what happened that season? Just a brutal team or was there something more to it than that?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bit obscure but seen on FM that Dundee hold the top flight record for lowest points tally ever with a grand total of 4. Just inquiring if anyone knows the background as to what happened that season? Just a brutal team or was there something more to it than that?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

They don't, it's Abercorn (1896-97: 3pts).

Only 18 league games and 2pts for a win - their 4pts is akin to 10pts or slightly more now (still be pretty dire, tbf). They were only 2pts behind Partick. Next season Clyde also got 4pts. During 18 game era (1890-1902) "wooden spoonists" were:

1890-91 ... 6pts - Cowlairs (after being deducted 4pts for fielding ineligible players) (season was 20 games until Renton were expelled for professionalism)
1891-92 ... 5pts - Vale of Leven (22 game season) ... Vale of Leven didn't win a game
1892-93 ... 6pts - Clyde
1893-94 ... 4pts - Renton
1894-95 ... 7pts - Leith Athletic & Dumbarton
1895-96 ... 8pts - Dumbarton
1896-97 ... 3pts - Abercorn
1897-98 ... 5pts - Clyde
1898-99 ... 4pts - Dundee
1899-00 ... 4pts - Clyde
1900-01 ... 10pts - Partick (20 game season due to special admission of Queen's Park)
1901-02 ... 7pts - Morton

9 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Interesting question, but a google search reveals no indication of any specific reason for such a poor season. It might just be that Dundee were garbage that particular season.

I was very tempted to add "as usual" after garbage, but I like Dundee, so I won't. (I hope I haven't given anybody else ideas...)

Fall out from their 1898 implosion probably. The League had to finance the last few fixtures to see the club through to the end of the league programme. But they still realised that to be a 'national' league clubs outwith the central belt had to be protected, hence their re-election to the first division after that disastrous season.

Archived