Curriculum Vitae

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randomly got sounded out for a job yesterday - no CV required or nuffink. Meeting with the area manager tomorrow. Never had this happen before.

I get the impression that employers are like potential sexual partners; you suddenly become more attractive as soon as you're involved elsewhere. Until you get past a certain age and suddenly you're viewed as useless for work or play, of course  :(

21 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Randomly got sounded out for a job yesterday - no CV required or nuffink. Meeting with the area manager tomorrow. Never had this happen before.

I get the impression that employers are like potential sexual partners; you suddenly become more attractive as soon as you're involved elsewhere. Until you get past a certain age and suddenly you're viewed as useless for work or play, of course  :(

It's far easier to get a job when you already have one.

Years ago I was interviewing for a position, and we picked our top 6 applicants to interview. The one I remember was a Spanish girl. Very well qualified, and the CV was very nicely put together. It mentioned in the CV that she had recently moved to Scotland to live with her boyfriend. 

When she showed up for interview, she couldn't speak English at all. The guy doing the interview with me was shooting me glances and trying not to laugh. The only word we got out of her was "Boyfriend", who I assumed had written the CV for her. Interview lasted 4 minutes.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Years ago I was interviewing for a position, and we picked our top 6 applicants to interview. The one I remember was a Spanish girl. Very well qualified, and the CV was very nicely put together. It mentioned in the CV that she had recently moved to Scotland to live with her boyfriend. 

When she showed up for interview, she couldn't speak English at all. The guy doing the interview with me was shooting me glances and trying not to laugh. The only word we got out of her was "Boyfriend", who I assumed had written the CV for her. Interview lasted 4 minutes.

That's a marathon for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Heard a bunch of PhDs with one of them showing his new CV with his photo at the top and different sections in little boxes like some sort of community newsletter, asking if it was a good idea or not. The rest seemed to think it was good and edgy etc but I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'd simply assume he was a trying-too-hard arsehole based on that. Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Heard a bunch of PhDs with one of them showing his new CV with his photo at the top and different sections in little boxes like some sort of community newsletter, asking if it was a good idea or not. The rest seemed to think it was good and edgy etc but I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'd simply assume he was a trying-too-hard arsehole based on that. Thoughts?

You're bang on.

Anyone with a photo is automatically a tosser and if you use text boxes you're a c**t.

This is doubly true if you use an agency as they will need to C&P in to a common format.  The photo gets binned and the rest of the CV does too if the format is too tiresome to work with.

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Got a CV the other day which boasted "Fluent in English and too in Spanish". 

Right you are. 

I had a CV this afternoon from an engineer with an MSc from UCL (probably true) which detailed his experience in designing electronic circuitry for a leading sattelite company and then used the same word with the same spelling twice more.

I wrote an article for an industry newsletter recently and since then, have been inundated with requests from people wanting me to hook them up with jobs. It's pretty obvious that most of them never even read the article or took the trouble to click on the link provided which would've told them what my company does.

12 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I had a CV this afternoon from an engineer with an MSc from UCL (probably true) which detailed his experience in designing electronic circuitry for a leading sattelite company and then used the same word with the same spelling twice more.

I'm constantly amazed how some people think their CVs are acceptable. Fair enough if English isn't your forte or even your first language, but do people not write CVs in Word and wonder what all the squiggly lines mean?

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Can you not just employ a sparky from the yellow pages like everyone else?

May I borrow your Nokia 3310 as I thumb through the yellow pages?

Edit: I had a CV through this morning wherein the girl spelled the name of her street wrongly. Tsk tsk.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived