Curriculum Vitae

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I had tendonitis in my arm once and needed two weeks off work and my arm had basically seized and i couldn't do anything. My back is also constantly sore when working and another thing that might just give way at any time, so if i hadn't moved on in life i could be at the risk of being physically incapable of working in my 40/50's without anything else to fall back on. It still could have been worse though, you get a strong feeling of satisfaction from doing building work and admiring your finished article, you don't need to deal with angry clients/customers and you don't really need to be particularly polite or sociable or presentable when you're at work either. You do have to deal with complete moron coworkers though.

My knees are humped and I'm in my early 30s. Doc told me recently I've got ligament damage in both knees caused by wear and tear. And nine times out of ten the repairs we do are in flats, so I'm always up and down stairs, up and down ladders etc. Murder.

f**k going back to building sites though. Working on building sites wa hard enough when I was in my mid 20s. And in the winter thay are miserable places to be. Never doling that again.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My knees are humped and I'm in my early 30s. Doc told me recently I've got ligament damage in both knees caused by wear and tear. And nine times out of ten the repairs we do are in flats, so I'm always up and down stairs, up and down ladders etc. Murder.
f**k going back to building sites though. Working on building sites wa hard enough when I was in my mid 20s. And in the winter thay are miserable places to be. Never doling that again.

I have only done building work in the summer since I have lived in Edinburgh so it’s always been okay on that front, my main problem is people that I’ve had to put up with overall and the attitudes of coworkers. When you’re working with people you get on with then work can be enjoyable and I’ve had spells of genuinely enjoying going to my work so it’s not all bad. If I have a son then I don’t think I’ll talk him into doing a trade though.

I was invited to dinner in Georgia to a two storey house that was delivered from a factory in 2 sections and assembled in a day. All the plumbing and electrical work was already there, it just had to be plugged in and they moved in. The ground work was already prepared of course, and it was on stilts as it was close to the sea in a hurricane zone. I can't see robots taking over repairing old houses though for a long time, it's not repetitive enough.

That robot is making some amount of mess. You'd need a guy behind it cleaning it up.
I'm sure if the bricky would be faster if he didn't bother doing a tidy job.

No way, the robot can lay 3000 bricks in 8 hours. A top bricky could do 1000.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

I had good grades at school but just completely went to f**k when i turned 18 and started drinking so had to drop out of uni and then didn't think I could have the motivation to stick it out so did a trade which i didn't really want or have any interest in so I eventually got to the point I wanted out of it and my CV didn't really include anything other than having a trade so it wasn't easy to switch careers at the time despite applying for various positions so I just thought i was as well getting a degree before i had children/proper adult commitments. If i hadn't done it at that time then theres no chance i would go back into education at the age of 31 so I'm happy i did it.

Punctuation. Use punctuation. Or is it that when you slip in to the 'throbber character' you have to write a certain way? Don't think I've not noticed it.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Punctuation. Use punctuation. Or is it that when you slip in to the 'throbber character' you have to write a certain way? Don't think I've not noticed it.

No idea what you're talking about. 

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

A while back, I had my CV up on some recruitment sites for graduate jobs. It was very clear that I had just spent four years on a degree and my full work experience was detailed.

So many phone calls from thick agents saying shite like 'OK, I have something that looks good for you but I just need to double check if you have fifteen years experience in the construction industry?'. I must have just missed that part out in between my coding experience. Also trying to waste everyone's time by sending me to interview for jobs that I really am not qualified to do.

I got a phonecall from one of these once (it only ever happened the once, mercifully) who has a position in Stirling or somewhere similar. "Can you drive there?" Aye mate I must have just forgotten to put that on my CV which says I'm an unemployed former student. I get that they're more concerned with just phoning people and getting them in positions but a shred of common sense wouldn't go amiss.

Just now, throbber said:

No idea what you're talking about. 

Yes you do. You post in a certain way when you go 'full throbber'. It reads like someone talking quickly and at length without pausing for breath.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Yes you do. You post in a certain way when you go 'full throbber'. It reads like someone talking quickly and at length without pausing for breath.

Its just the way i communicate though, I'm not putting on any sort of show here. 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Could the robot tell you stories about peeing up a girl's arse like your bricky pals though? 

I was about to say that you would get far less of the dirty talk from a robot. People who work with cement are the dirtiest of people I have found. 

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I was about to say that you would get far less of the dirty talk from a robot. People who work with cement are the dirtiest of people I have found. 

Laboured for brickies and scaffolders as my summer job from uni and "my" brickies sounded a similar bunch to your gang. 

1 minute ago, kilbowie2002 said:

See in all seriousness get that to fcuk, give absolutey no employer in the private sector any information like that, I've got to for my vetting which is fair enough, but some companies just want to be nosey etc and will have HR checking up on your posts etc which if you're not public sector (specifically police/fire/civil service) I don't really see why it's the employers business which friends character you really are etc. From friends I have in recruitment type jobs I know some of these recruiters will research your email addresses/mobile numbers etc so pretty much anything you've posted will be visible (and they will go back years). If you literally have to put in an email address/facebook etc then do the sensible thing.

Do you have to tell them about Pie and Bovril? Does Pccabe?

All employers will probably search your name into Facebook just for a wee nosey probably, i never say anything remotely controversial on Facebook nowadays but I had to go over some old posts from a few years back and delete them as I didn't give a shit back then about what i posted. 

I had tendonitis in my arm once and needed two weeks off work and my arm had basically seized and i couldn't do anything. My back is also constantly sore when working and another thing that might just give way at any time, so if i hadn't moved on in life i could be at the risk of being physically incapable of working in my 40/50's without anything else to fall back on. It still could have been worse though, you get a strong feeling of satisfaction from doing building work and admiring your finished article, you don't need to deal with angry clients/customers and you don't really need to be particularly polite or sociable or presentable when you're at work either. You do have to deal with complete moron coworkers though.

019e04c56cb4dcb4a2001a9e12826146.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Laboured for brickies and scaffolders as my summer job from uni and "my" brickies sounded a similar bunch to your gang. 

Not all of them are like that and i have worked with a variation of guys over the years, some guys I've worked with have been very wholesome and very traditional types of people who take masonry very seriously. Its only the occasional nut job who wants to talk about shagging constantly but they end up bringing down the tone of conversation for everyone else. Most guys I've worked with have had an alcohol or cannabis penchant as well. 

Archived