Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

It's absolutely ideal for Scotland's needs. Closer to the pitch, tiered all round and has a retractable roof. If designing a national stadium what else would we need?

A "Hooters" Franchise getting the rights for all catering with waitress service to your seat!!!

To be honest I'm struggling to think of many grounds where the regulars prefer a modern stadium to their older versions. Perhaps Brighton and Huddersfield but they are more recent examples. I thinks stadium design went through a bad patch in the later 90s and early 00s. It's understandable, there was pressure target hooliganism, improve crowd safety and better accessibility.

St Johnstone??

Preferred Muirton Park. 
Although our soulless stadium was built in the 80s.
All seater stadiums just dont sit right with me but with the youngest lad, he hates terracing. Hes been brought up with seats and thinks terracing is feral.

I blame the parents...

11 hours ago, TartanTyneArmy said:

To be honest I'm struggling to think of many grounds where the regulars prefer a modern stadium to their older versions. Perhaps Brighton and Huddersfield but they are more recent examples. I thinks stadium design went through a bad patch in the later 90s and early 00s. It's understandable, there was pressure target hooliganism, improve crowd safety and better accessibility.

Tynecastle, Celtic Park, Ibrox...

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/10/2017 at 17:49, dogmc said:

Presumably if the lease is run out then as well as leasing stadia for games they will also need to source office space for all the staff. That won't be cheap either. 

This.

Follow the money.

For 250k a year the SFA have a 50,000 seater stadium to use for four or five internaionals a year, two cup semis and a final. they can alzo rent it out for concerts where their takings must be into six figures each night. They also get Thousands of square feet of office space with unlimited parking and thousands more square feet of space for their museum. No doubt theyalso get a few quid off the SPFL for their office space and the league cup semis/finals.

What would that cost in the real world?

On 10/7/2017 at 18:51, DA Baracus said:

Check out Friends Arena in Stockholm. Dreadful name but would be perfect for us.

friendsarena10.jpg

Roughly what I've suggested/imagined - mirror the south stand and north stand, bring the east and west in, but with a huge single kop behind each goal instead of multiple tiers.

Been several articles in the paper about this over the last few days... SFA had people observing at Hearts v Rangers at Murrayfield yesterday and presumably the Glasgow grounds will follow. As regards Murrayfield there apparently remains the "biggest hurdle" of "significant sums of money being ploughed into another sport rather than being filtered back into football".

Other option is said to remain alternating between Ibrox and Parkhead, with minor games at Easter Road, Tynecastle and Pittodrie.

Article in today's Scotland on Sunday also adds... "public opinion seems to be against a renewal of the lease at a ground which many feel lacks atmosphere and is no longer fit for purpose".

Must say I'm unsure what has established Hampden isn't fit-for-purpose, or what has gauged public opinion, tbf.

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Been several articles in the paper about this over the last few days... SFA had people observing at Hearts v Rangers at Murrayfield yesterday and presumably the Glasgow grounds will follow. As regards Murrayfield there apparently remains the "biggest hurdle" of "significant sums of money being ploughed into another sport rather than being filtered back into football".

Other option is said to remain alternating between Ibrox and Parkhead, with minor games at Easter Road, Tynecastle and Pittodrie.

Article in today's Scotland on Sunday also adds... "public opinion seems to be against a renewal of the lease at a ground which many feel lacks atmosphere and is no longer fit for purpose".

Must say I'm unsure what has established Hampden isn't fit-for-purpose, or what has gauged public opinion, tbf.

Surely the biggest hurdle for Murrayfield is the acre of grass behind each goal? May as well leave the rugby posts up and put a net in the middle. 

18 hours ago, banana said:

friendsarena10.jpg

Roughly what I've suggested/imagined - mirror the south stand and north stand, bring the east and west in, but with a huge single kop behind each goal instead of multiple tiers.

Multi tiers would suit better. it means for semi finals for example when the game is not going to sell out you can close the top tier of one or more stands and the ground can still look busy.

1 minute ago, thisal said:

Multi tiers would suit better. it means for semi finals for example when the game is not going to sell out you can close the top tier of one or more stands and the ground can still look busy.

Agree, tiers would help a lot. For the kops, they can be opened as far back as the tiers that are open in each game.