Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

When Murrayfield's set up for football and you're behind the goal you're far, far further away from the pitch than you are behind the goal at Hampden.
I'm firmly in the camp that if you were building a stadium from scratch in an ideal world you'd just have a bigger version of Tynecastle with steep stands right on top of the pitch, but I still think people vastly overstate how bad Hampden is. Unless you're directly behind the goal the view is fine: the vast majority of seats in the East and West stands provide an excellent view of the whole pitch. While a full Parkhead has a better atmosphere and a good seat at Ibrox gives an excellent view, those stadiums both have far more seats with a crap view than Hampden does. Murrayfield is a non-starter due to the segregation issue before taking into account the distance from the football pitch with the rugby end zones taken in,  the SFA's reluctance to plough money into the SRU and the SRU not wanting to let their precious sport be tainted by footballing luddites on a permanent basis.
If someone can propose a better idea than Hampden and a feasible way to redo it financially I'm all ears, but none of Parkhead, Ibrox and Murrayfield are a better option.

All of that is pretty much correct aside from the sru attitude...they would 100% be delighted to host sfa games whether they be international matches or finals / semis. All of this chat is however redundant...theyre clearly going to keep Hampden

Talk of what our ideal ground might look like is redundant in the context of this discussion.  Nothing new, big and shiny can be afforded, so it's a question of continuing with Hampden, or playing all big games at either of Glasgow's other big two stadia.  

Given that, it's an absolute no-brainer.  We'll need to stay at imperfect old Hampden.  It's bad enough giving that pair lots of money for staging internationals, but far worse paying them to enjoy huge advantages in the late stages of our cups.  

We need to have a ground that's separate from either of them and even if it's not great, it's important to run with it.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Only way Scotland could afford to build a new stadium would be if they teamed up with the SRU. Zero chance of that happening in the near future.

I'm certain the SRU wanted to redevelop Murrayfield with the SFA back in the 90s when both needed a new stadium, clowns at the SFA knocked them back.

Regarding view behind goals at Murrayfield, maybe you are further back but in the upper tier at Murrayfield I can 100% confirm you have a better view.

The main problem with Hampden for me though is the fact it's utterly horrible trying to get there and even worse trying to get away from there. Just building a 'massive tynecastle' won't fix that.

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I'm certain the SRU wanted to redevelop Murrayfield with the SFA back in the 90s when both needed a new stadium, clowns at the SFA knocked them back.

Regarding view behind goals at Murrayfield, maybe you are further back but in the upper tier at Murrayfield I can 100% confirm you have a better view.

The main problem with Hampden for me though is the fact it's utterly horrible trying to get there and even worse trying to get away from there. Just building a 'massive tynecastle' won't fix that.

The rampage back to Queen Street and the cramped train back to Edinburgh was part of the reason I skipped the Slovakia game. 

16 hours ago, dogmc said:

Presumably if the lease is run out then as well as leasing stadia for games they will also need to source office space for all the staff. That won't be cheap either. No idea how QP would fund the upkeep of Hampden either. On that basis alone I'd be pretty shocked if the lease isn't renewed. As said earlier that decision in the nineties was very poor.

They'd also need to find a new auditorium for hosting events etc e.g referee monthly meetings.

Let's also remember that - according to press reports - Celtic made more from 2014's Scottish Cup Final than either of the finalists.

EDIT: Plus of course the SF between Rangers and Dundee Utd that year was held at Ibrox, after it was claimed waiting until QFs had been played wasn't enough notice...

Celtic and Rangers both earned more than double what we earned, both were paid instantly, while we waited about six months for payment.

Hampden is a pig sty. We should move the national stadium to the capital. Murrayfield is much better transport wise, capacity, parking, facilities etc and has superior views, especially behind the goals. I would never attended an international match at Ibrox or Celtic Park. Those two milk our game enough already.

Murrayfield looks like it is miles worse behind the goals when the pitch is actually a football one.

I’m a Thistle fan who no longer attends Scotland games so I don’t really know why I’m posting on this thread...

I was at the 2015 Cup Final in the East (ICT) Stand and it was fine. A development of Hampden Park III would be great but I don’t see it being feasible financially. 

Hampden is a pig sty. We should move the national stadium to the capital. Murrayfield is much better transport wise, capacity, parking, facilities etc and has superior views, especially behind the goals. I would never attended an international match at Ibrox or Celtic Park. Those two milk our game enough already.

Murrayfield has NO facilities.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

The rampage back to Queen Street and the cramped train back to Edinburgh was part of the reason I skipped the Slovakia game. 

If we played at Murrayfield fans from the west of Scotland would have similar problems.

I was behind the goals in the East on Thursday and the place was rocking, the view's not great but it was absolutely acceptable especially when you experience a night like that. It's keep Hampden for me.

If we played at Murrayfield fans from the west of Scotland would have similar problems.
I was behind the goals in the East on Thursday and the place was rocking, the view's not great but it was absolutely acceptable especially when you experience a night like that. It's keep Hampden for me.

True. They don't have the inevitable 45 minute walk to Queen Street though, mount Florida is usually carnage. One thing I would say is that Haymarket is just not built to cope with that kind of thing, it struggles for day time rugby games so a 2145 finish at a fitba game would be horrific

True. They don't have the inevitable 45 minute walk to Queen Street though, mount Florida is usually carnage. One thing I would say is that Haymarket is just not built to cope with that kind of thing, it struggles for day time rugby games so a 2145 finish at a fitba game would be horrific

What they should do is a massive redevelopment of Murrayfield into a multi sport national stadium including building a new train station right next to the ground. The line already runs past it so it shouldn’t be a major problem. Rugby can use Hampden for the meantime. Queens Park can groundshare at Firhill or get a new much smaller ground.

150,000 seater stadium in the centre of Stirling. Railway links from every major Scottish town and city into the heart of the stadium. A modest airport across the road for expats from Canada, Australia and the likes. Lights that project our starting line-up into the night sky. Extra lasers.

The extent that the SFA have ripped off their mug fan base over the years means they should be able to afford the above twice over with change.

150,000 seater stadium in the centre of Stirling. Railway links from every major Scottish town and city into the heart of the stadium. A modest airport across the road for expats from Canada, Australia and the likes. Lights that project our starting line-up into the night sky. Extra lasers.

The extent that the SFA have ripped off their mug fan base over the years means they should be able to afford the above twice over with change.

Needs more monorail.

Are you able to name a U.K railway station ready for anywhere between twenty and forty thousand people showing up at the same time?