Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

Yes. I’ve been for the rugby and the view is excellent from every seat. It holds 68,000 and the atmosphere will be great. It has decent enough transport links too.

The view wouldn’t be excellent for football games. The *** mate I have (yes for shame) said he preferred the back of the West Stand compared to the seat he had behind the goal.

The view wouldn’t be excellent for football games. The *** mate I have (yes for shame) said he preferred the back of the West Stand compared to the seat he had behind the goal.

Pretty sure it would be a perfect view for football from most seats. I’ve been near the pitch in the East, North and South stands. The East Stand would obvious be great as it’s right on the pitch. The North and South stands are no better or worse than other football grounds I’ve been at where you’re behind the goals.

Pretty sure it would be a perfect view for football from most seats. I’ve been near the pitch in the East, North and South stands. The East Stand would obvious be great as it’s right on the pitch. The North and South stands are no better or worse than other football grounds I’ve been at where you’re behind the goals.

But that’s for a rugby pitch

The view from behind the goal at Murrayfield for a football game is as bad as the equivalent at Hampden, if not worse.  DOXkJhNXkAUN7V6.jpg

To be fair, the view from the lower stands in the West, South and North stands doesn’t look great there.

Is there a comparable view from behind the goals at Hampden?

If I was the SFA I’d make those lower stands in North and South stands the cheap seats. Think the SRU do that too.

How did those talks between the SRU and SFA in October go?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/11101998/murrayfield-keen-on-major-football-if-hampden-park-loses-out

I was reading about some of the issues West Ham are having at the Olympic stadium, and one being the disorientating effect of the large green area around the pitch. That's actually a real issue with Murrayfield for me. It just doesn't look right. It would feel like we were borrowing someone else's pitch (which would be exactly what we would be doing) and I'm not sure you'd ever really feel at home playing football there. 

I just don't see it as a serious option for a country that is serious about football. 

Murrayfield was lined to match the length of the park at Tynecastle wasn't it?

That's a relatively small park compared to Hampden which I'm pretty sure is as big as the rules allow.

So if Scotland played there then the stand wouldn't be as far away from the goals as it was for Hearts games.

Not that it would make a massive difference

30 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Murrayfield was lined to match the length of the park at Tynecastle wasn't it?

That's a relatively small park compared to Hampden which I'm pretty sure is as big as the rules allow.

So if Scotland played there then the stand wouldn't be as far away from the goals as it was for Hearts games.

Not that it would make a massive difference

3 or 4 yards closer at either end, so certainly not much of a difference. I don't know what the dimensions were when Celtic played there, but it looked pretty much the same then as well. 

6 hours ago, Ross. said:

FWIW I still don't see how we cannot redevelop the ends behind both goals. Hampden appears to generate a lot of revenue and seems to operate at a profit. Who cares if we have to do it one end at a time, as long as we get it right. F*ck athletics and other sports, it's a football stadium so remodel it thinking only about football. Square off the ends and increase capacity as a minimum and if anything can be done with the north stand it's a bonus. The only real issue I see is structural and whether or not it would be easy to integrate the north and south stands with any redevelopment of each end.

Been done at both Stuttgart and Bremen, both stadiums of similar design to Hampden and been squared off.  Stuttgart cost €50-€70m to re-model.

10 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Been done at both Stuttgart and Bremen, both stadiums of similar design to Hampden and been squared off.  Stuttgart cost €50-€70m to re-model.

Did they do the whole thing at the same time when doing the redesign or did they spend a fortune on one glorious main stand and then have to fit the rest of the remodel around it?

I'm just wondering how they link any newly squared off end onto the main stand which will remain.

On 12/12/2017 at 12:31, craigkillie said:

This survey comes from the SFSA, an organisation with zero credibility.  A glance at their Twitter feed or their most recent newsletter will give you an idea of the sort of people they are trying to attract - a bunch of chip on the shoulder moaners who lash out indiscriminately at everything and everyone.  The Scottish football equivalent of Trump supporters or Brexiteers, if you will.  There is no way this is even remotely a representative survey of Scottish football supporters, and it's mad that so many news organisations are taking it seriously.

They actually do have some good ideas, but they've got too many idiots putting things into the public eye. The guy on Facebook is actually "yer da" in every conceivable way, completely illiterate and lashes out at folk who disagree.

On 12/12/2017 at 13:02, Lurkst said:

Heard their spokesman on the radio this morning, he sounds like an Englishman. Are there no Scots capable of running our football organisations?

Sorry, but what the f**k has that got to do with anything? I know Simon very well and I doubt you'll meet someone more passionate about Scottish football than him. He regularly travels the length of the UK to watch Dumbarton every week and the work he has done for our Trust is honestly ridiculous when you consider the amount of time his actual job takes up. I don't agree with everything the SFSA put out there, but I know if it was a choice between him and Regan for running our game, it's an absolute no brainer. If you think good old Scottish you can do a better job then offer your time and services, I'm sure he'll be glad for the break.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Did they do the whole thing at the same time when doing the redesign or did they spend a fortune on one glorious main stand and then have to fit the rest of the remodel around it?

I'm just wondering how they link any newly squared off end onto the main stand which will remain.

Stuttgart's stadium was an actual athletics stadium, so it was quite a major remodel, which came not very long after a redevelopment of the ground for the 2006 World Cup (which included upper tiers like at the main stand at Hampden). So in a few ways it would be a similar project. The ground level would need to be lowered, and a new cut off point created for the South Stand, but that's what they did in Stuttgart. 

Read into the redevelopment of that ground and you'd get some idea of how the new ground might be shaped. There are obviously a number of other factors, including locality, but if the money was there then there's no reason why it couldn't be done (that's the point though). 

The debate around Hampden is a very helpful distraction for the SFA from the fact that the national team has under performed for almost 20 years and they are largely to blame. I'm surprised the SFSA have bought into this. A stadium does not generate atmosphere by its design (viz. the Emirates, Etihad, new Wembley) rather through attendance and most importantly performance on the pitch. This sudden love in for Murrayfield is bizarre. It's a rugby stadium completely devoid of atmosphere even when Scotland are winning. 

The solution is surely to play the big games at Hampden and rotate around the country for friendlies and smaller qualifiers. France, Italy and England at Hampden are examples of the best atmosphere I've experienced at a football stadium ever. 

If it's architecturally possible to remove the "running track" (when is it ever used?) then let's do so but I doubt this would massively improve a home game against Lithuania or Gibraltar.