Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

On 12/11/2017 at 17:46, Donathan said:

Absolutely no foreign football fans are attending art galleries during their time here.

I'm still annoyed that I missed the Alphonse Mucha exhibition when I was in Prague last year - I was outvoted on that one and we ended up at the David Cronenberg exhibition at the City Gallery instead, which was worth seeing.

On 11/5/2017 at 20:37, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf, SFA rent Hampden from QP for a few hundred £ or whatever it is. This would almost certainly be less than Murrayfield would cost, but lets leave that by-the-by.

Having rented Hampden they get accommodation for their offices, museum, sports injuries centre, etc.

They also host all of their internationals, cup SFs and Final; receive rental from SPFL for their League Cup SFs and Final; and can (and do) sell it left right 'n centre for concerts, dinners, etc.

They also pocket the cheques from big events like EL Finals, Commonealth Games, Euro 2020, etc.

If you rent Murrayfield you're not getting that accommodation or those income streams.

Nor, I'd suggest, would they be renting Murrayfield for everything - given factors like crowds and availability. So multiple rentals - many on an ad hoc basis - without efficiencies of scale.

Considering all the above I don't understand why people continue to state that there isn't enough money available to rebuild/redevelop. Clearly the scope of any project would be huge and any private borrowing would have to be done over a long period of time, but with the money it brings in as well as the money it saves thanks to the on site facilities I don't see how we cannot afford a suitable upgrade. Is it simply down to the ownership situation and the SFA not wanting to pay for something they don't own?

On 11/10/2017 at 01:03, Worktheshaft said:

Has anyone pointed out the obvious flaw in using Murrayfield yet, being, an old firm cup final and 60,000 bigoted fans attempting to travel through from Glasgow all at once?

Why would 60k fans be traveling through from Glasgow? According to most on here, Celtic and Rangers fans are all glory hunters who travel from everywhere else in Scotland to get to Glasgow every other Saturday...

52 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:

Still don't see how Murrayfield would be better than Hampden. Too far from the pitch behind the goals and is there not a running track down one touchline?

That's correct though they resurfaced it a few years ago with astroturf, logos, and such like so isn't actually the 8-lane 100m straight now. I'm never sure what it was for... the New Year Sprint after it left Powderhall and before it went to Musselburgh?

murrayfield11.jpg

For football purposes only the East stand - older, smaller one - hugs the pitch.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Considering all the above I don't understand why people continue to state that there isn't enough money available to rebuild/redevelop. Clearly the scope of any project would be huge and any private borrowing would have to be done over a long period of time, but with the money it brings in as well as the money it saves thanks to the on site facilities I don't see how we cannot afford a suitable upgrade. Is it simply down to the ownership situation and the SFA not wanting to pay for something they don't own?

Why would 60k fans be traveling through from Glasgow? According to most on here, Celtic and Rangers fans are all glory hunters who travel from everywhere else in Scotland to get to Glasgow every other Saturday...

I'm fairly certainly that for the Edinburgh Derby cup final Hibs fans had trains put on from Haymarket to Queen Street and Hearts fans travelled from Waverley to Central Station.  Don't see there being an issue with doing something similar for a Glasgow Derby being played at Murrayfield.

I'm fairly certainly that for the Edinburgh Derby cup final Hibs fans had trains put on from Haymarket to Queen Street and Hearts fans travelled from Waverley to Central Station.  Don't see there being an issue with doing something similar for a Glasgow Derby being played at Murrayfield.

Wait, WHAT?!?!

If they genuinely happened then heads need to roll, given that Tynecastle to Haymarket and Easter Road to Waverley are both roughly 15 minute walks, whilst the other way round as you’ve suggested is three times the distance for both sets of fans.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Wait, WHAT?!?!

If they genuinely happened then heads need to roll, given that Tynecastle to Haymarket and Easter Road to Waverley are both roughly 15 minute walks, whilst the other way round as you’ve suggested is three times the distance for both sets of fans.

Perhaps "I'm fairly certainly" should read "I'm talking oot my hole and getting the train stations mixed up".

On 14/11/2017 at 12:44, Worktheshaft said:

Just read that Ibrox is in a terrible state. Can anyone confirm?

Still don't see how Murrayfield would be better than Hampden. Too far from the pitch behind the goals and is there not a running track down one touchline?

Strange that some ex Celt would be all over the papers slating Ibrox while there's calls to move away from Hampden.

Hampden isn't perfect but it's our national stadium and should stay so.

Strange that some ex Celt would be all over the papers slating Ibrox while there's calls to move away from Hampden.
Hampden isn't perfect but it's our national stadium and should stay so.

Plus he’s about 103 and tries to put his socks on his hands every day, senile old b*****d. All he’s good for is wheeling out whenever they’re reminiscing about Lisbon for the 3 millionth time.

On 11/14/2017 at 13:41, HibeeJibee said:

That's correct though they resurfaced it a few years ago with astroturf, logos, and such like so isn't actually the 8-lane 100m straight now. I'm never sure what it was for... the New Year Sprint after it left Powderhall and before it went to Musselburgh?

murrayfield11.jpg

For football purposes only the East stand - older, smaller one - hugs the pitch.

For viewing football, Murrayfield is very similar to Hampden, just a slightly bigger version. One stand that runs alongside close to the pitch, a main stand that gives a decent view but is pretty far away from the pitch, and stands behind each goal which are miles away from the pitch (when set up for football and not rugby). The bigger capacity would probably just mean 17,000 extra empty seats, and the accesibilty argument is pretty subjective.

I'm not really fussed either way what happens, but I don't really understand the argument that is based on Hampden being a crap venue to watch football, Murrayfield would be no different.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Looks like Queen's Park have had enough of one-sided coverage and so a substantial article with quotes from them appears in today's paper.

Basically it clarifies SFA currently pays £308, 907 in rent - which QP say they make back with profit just from leasing office space to other football bodies, the Museum, plus Injury Clinic... i.e. before taking into consideration concerts, dinners, conferences or income from internationals and cup SFs & Finals.

They say reports of an £800k rent which appeared in the press are misleading as it includes £500k SFA is effectively paying to itself - until 2014 some £200k went to QP and £600k to debt interest, but once the debt was cleared £800k was continued with £500k represented as stadium maintenance in the budget.

QP say they've had no evidence of why it would cost "many, many millions" to renew - and if over poor maintenance that's due to SFA.

Finishes with stuff about flexibility and cultural significance.

Whatever happens, it needs to be a transparent process. Seems like the SFA are just flashing their knickers at whoever wants them in order to get some free hospitality. 

I would like to see the games moved around the country, but some of the arguments against Hampden are laughable. No parking and poor public transport. There are at least 3 rail stations in a ten minute walk. Major bus routes on all sides and I've never struggled to get a parking space around the stadium.

Accessibility for the rest of Scotland, particularly midweek on the motorway network has more legs to it but the other stuff is muddying the waters.

Upgrading Hampden would be preferable. Bringing the West and East stands closer to the pitch and making them steeper or two tier . However, I can’t see the SFA wanting to spend money on that.

For me all the talk of moving is a bit smoke and mirrors to get a better deal.  

6 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

For me all the talk of moving is a bit smoke and mirrors to get a better deal.  

They only pay £300k currently.

Even if it stops being index-linked or gets reduced by X% it's surely chickenfeed against their annual turnover of £36M+.

They only pay £300k currently.

Even if it stops being index-linked or gets reduced by X% it's surely chickenfeed against their annual turnover of £36M+.

Where are you getting that figure? Don't think I've ever seen SFA accounts. They certainly don't seem to get as much coverage as club finances do

If you search online for "SFA turnover" you'll find various press releases, news articles and such like.

For the 2016 financial year, reported in June this year, the turnover of the "SFA group of companies" - i.e. including Hampden Park Ltd, the Museum, the Sports Clinic and possibly SSC + Business Club - was £35.8M.

Annual Review - on website - broke down turnover excluding those subsidiaries (£30.8M) as:
* 35% TV/radio
* 22% Scottish Cup
* 13% UEFA/FIFA
* 11% commercial
* 10% football development
* 5% international gate receipts
* 4% other

Previous 4 years were £29.4M, £31.8M, £28.5M, £29.6M. Average over 5yrs = £30.1M.

Incidentally expenditure broke down as:
* 35% payments to member clubs
* 25% staffing
* 18% match costs
* 10% football development
* 9% other administrative
* 3% departmental

Edited by HibeeJibee