The other match tonight at Wembley.

Marinello

I know our thoughts are solely on Hampden tonight.

But remember Slovenia need to win at Wembley. A defeat and they are out of contention. A draw and they would need snookers.

Bottom line is that if they dont win they will regard our match on Sunday  as a dead rubber . This would make matters a lot more straightforward for us.

For this to happen though we need to win tonight. I`m going for 3-1 to us tonight.  

Sorry, since when?

Even if you assume Slovakia will beat Malta*: Slovenia can afford to draw tonight providing we beat Slovakia - then beat us on the last day and it goes down to GD between them and Slovakia.

*without that there is no scenario, except England and Slovakia winning tonight, by which Slovenia are out of reckoning on the last day.

If we're still playing for something on Sunday, so will Slovenia be, except they might be holding out hope for Malta.

Sorry should have made my point clearer. The excitement is getting to me!!

If Slovenia were to draw tonight and Slovakia lose they would still be miles behind Slovakia on gd. This difference would then grow further on Sunday. Thus why I said they would need snookers and why it would be like a dead rubber for them.

11 minutes ago, Marinello said:

If Slovenia were to draw tonight and Slovakia lose they would still be miles behind Slovakia on gd. 

'Miles behind'? The difference is two goals. 

Contrary to joyous exclamations, Kane's winner at Wembley didn't really change anything. Slovenia still need to beat us and hope Slovakia don't beat Malta - in theory 0-0 would've allowed a Slovakia-Slovenia 'goal chase' with both able to win; but Slovakia would've been starting the night +1 ahead and with 4 more goals for, effectively +2, and you'd get very long odds on Slovenia thrashing us whilst Slovakia scraped past Malta.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Contrary to joyous exclamations, Kane's winner at Wembley didn't really change anything. Slovenia still need to beat us and hope Slovakia don't beat Malta - in theory 0-0 would've allowed a Slovakia-Slovenia 'goal chase' with both able to win; but Slovakia would've been starting the night +1 ahead and with 4 more goals for, effectively +2, and you'd get very long odds on Slovenia thrashing us whilst Slovakia scraped past Malta.

Thats the only relevant bit, in bold. Its a dead rubber for them

Slovenia aren't mathematically out, but they need three things to go their way - them to beat us, Malta to take something from Slovakia, and even after that, they need to hope that 11 points is enough in the 2nd placed table.  I'd have my doubts about the last two of those.  Definitely not out, but it's an enormous task for them now.  Two late goals, two absolute sickeners for Slovakia and Slovenia.

One thing it does mean though, Slovenia will have to come out on Sunday.  We know how absolutely bereft we are against teams that sit in, so good news for us.

Slovenia aren't mathematically out, but they need three things to go their way - them to beat us, Malta to take something from Slovakia, and even after that, they need to hope that 11 points is enough in the 2nd placed table.  I'd have my doubts about the last two of those.  Definitely not out, but it's an enormous task for them now.  Two late goals, two absolute sickeners for Slovakia and Slovenia.
One thing it does mean though, Slovenia will have to come out on Sunday.  We know how absolutely bereft we are against teams that sit in, so good news for us.

Would be ideal if Slovakia could score early.

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Would be ideal if Slovakia could score early.

Initial thought was "would it?" but I suppose you could be right.  I don't think it really matters what happens over there now to be honest.  I can't see Slovenia hearing Slovakia are winning and then sacking it on the pitch.  I just hope they don't sit in, because that's a surefire way to make us look poor.

Initial thought was "would it?" but I suppose you could be right.  I don't think it really matters what happens over there now to be honest.  I can't see Slovenia hearing Slovakia are winning and then sacking it on the pitch.  I just hope they don't sit in, because that's a surefire way to make us look poor.

Id agree that normally we dont fare well against sides sitting in but then we have decent delivery from Robertson (please can someone teach forrest to cross) and martin or fletcher to come off bench. Always the hope too that if Slovakia are scudding Malta that some Slovenia players have a heads gone n give away a set piece or a red card. Anyway its a relief that we have our fate pretty much in our hands. Itll be fecking torture though

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This. Called this out last night. Slovakia will not fail to beat Malta at home. It's a dead rubber for Slovenia. If they had got a point last night that would not be the case.

It effectively was, though... because if you're saying that "Slovakia will definitely beat Malta so leave anything else of out consideration", it's equally true that Slovenia weren't going to beat us by 2-3 goals more than Slovakia would beat Malta by.

Archived