Hibs vs Dons 14.10.17

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this as being a huge game for Hibs and a real test of Lennon's ability to motivate his team.  I probably just got caught up in the hype after their great start and dont see this as a disaster.  I still think the battle for 3/4/5 with Hearts and Rangers (sorry Saints) will be good viewing. 

Aberdeen are established as the second best team in Scotland and despite the changes that were made McInnes hasn't missed a beat.  I'm now looking at the Pittodrie match with Celtic in the same way I looked at this match.  Will it be same old same old OR are the Dons ready to make history?

17 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I still don't see it in Dom Ball. Thought his introduction was bad for both the shape and personnel yesterday. He doesn't really look particularly good at defending or passing, the two key aspects of a defensive mid. He also led to us sitting deeper, which is on McInnes. We allowed the pressure to come onto us, even if we did withstand it relatively comfortably. Greg Stewart was also poor when he came on. I'd much rather have seen Wright's  pace to stretch the game as Hibs began to chase. 

Classic McInnes substitution when we were still looking threatening going forward.  He's made this exact tactical change several times and its cost us, not sure why he keeps doing it.  With GMS, May and Christie going off we had no out ball and zero pace so inevitably sat deeper and deeper.  Thankfully hibs were rotten up front so it didn't cost us any points but it will do in tyhe future.

Apart from that it was a thoroughly satisfying performance. 

May's tired lunge aside, there wasn't a bad tackle in the game...although you could possibly say that Stevenson cynically taking out GMS was up there with May.  But of course you won't.
I could also point out that every single newspaper yesterday was complimentary of McLean's handling of the game. It's funny how neutrals see things differently, eh ?
This whining from Hibs fans is becoming boring. It's an attempt to re-write the narrative of the game, and convince yourselves that you were hard done by and should have won 3 or 4-0....when in actual fact, McGinn aside, Hibs are a pretty average side full of journeymen players who huffed and puffed to absolutely no effect at all.

Stevenson taking out Mckay-Steven and (I think?) O'connors booking for bringing down Mcginn were both cynical. They were to stop dangerous breaks before they became more critical.

I haven't remotely said Hibs should have won comfortably (or at all in fact). I said Hibs didn't work the ref which we should have done. That's up to us.

We'll see at Pittodrie in December, but we've played Aberdeen twice in the last 6 months and afaic you're a bit better than us atm, but it's not by a lot at all.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Stevenson taking out Mckay-Steven and (I think?) O'connors booking for bringing down Mcginn were both cynical. They were to stop dangerous breaks before they became more critical.

I haven't remotely said Hibs should have won comfortably (or at all in fact). I said Hibs didn't work the ref which we should have done. That's up to us.

We'll see at Pittodrie in December, but we've played Aberdeen twice in the last 6 months and afaic you're a bit better than us atm, but it's not by a lot at all.

Outside Celtic, pretty much anybody can beat anybody in the top league.

It's far too simplistic to say that Aberdeen are 'better' than other teams, and I won't do that. What I would say is that Aberdeen are in general far more consistent in putting results together than the likes of Hibs.

While Hibs are good at raising their game in matches against the OF and Hearts, it's hard to imagine them putting 5 or 6 wins together or going 9 games undefeated.  Not so with Aberdeen.

Aberdeen have a bit more quality all over the park than Hibs, and that's shown in the way the league table looks even after only 9 games. That's not to say we won't lose against you next time out, anything can happen if one side is off the boil and the other plays well.

48 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Its easy to say there's not a lot between the sides as we've beat you by the odd goal but in truth were 10 points ahead of you after 9 games which shows we are miles ahead of you . You will always compete with us in the fixtures( on occasion probably win) because its a big game and you have a decent squad but in all honesty you are miles away from us in terms of competing consistently  over a long season.

Its easy to say there's not a lot between the sides as we've beat you by the odd goal but in truth were 10 points ahead of you after 9 games which shows we are miles ahead of you . You will always compete with us in the fixtures( on occasion probably win) because its a big game and you have a decent squad but in all honesty you are miles away from us in terms of competing consistently  over a long season.

"Miles ahead" after 9 games. We've still got Hearts and Kilmarnock to play in this round of fixtures. No necessarily easy games, but I'd be looking for 6 points there. You have Celtic and the Rangers in your corresponding fixtures. There's every chance that the difference between the two sides over the first round of fixtures will be solely the game between us...

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Lebowski said:

"Miles ahead" after 9 games. We've still got Hearts and Kilmarnock to play in this round of fixtures. No necessarily easy games, but I'd be looking for 6 points there. You have Celtic and the Rangers in your corresponding fixtures. There's every chance that the difference between the two sides over the first round of fixtures will be solely the game between us...

Easy to write, 'I'd be looking for 6 points', but the odds are against Hibs being able to win 2 games in a row....especially with a defence that just can't keep clean sheets.

Aberdeen's next 2 games are actually home games against Celtic and Ross County. I wouldn't bet against us being further ahead of Hibs in a fortnight.

That's what frustrates you about McInnes management ?

Have you forgotten the games with 7 goals in them, or the 4 goals in them or the 3 goals in them ???

FFS we used to moan that we didn't have guts and fight to bully our way to 3 points. Now when we do our support still isn't happy.

Yesterday was a very "professional" performance. Impressive stuff.

Top of the league, unbeaten and Celtic next at home.

[emoji106]????[emoji1248]????[emoji294]️[emoji294]️????[emoji1248]????[emoji106]

I'm not complaining, I'm a huge McInnes fan. It was effective game management but it will cost us.

We finished the game with arnason, McKenna, shinnie, Logan, Reynolds, ball and o connor all on the park [emoji23]

When we won by 7 we were so far ahead early on it was a foregone conclusion.

I understand why he's done it but it's proper sh*tfesting our way to 3 points and other teams will punish it.

Delighted with the aggression that arnason and McKenna bring to the side, makes a huge difference when your defence doesn't get bullied.

Bring on the ****!

Virtually every time we win a game, the opposition fans  go on about how we're nothing special and there's not much between us and them (Hearts fans being the absolute kings of this).

We then proceed to finish miles ahead of everyone apart from Celtic, even though our players invariably throw all our post-split fixtures to give the rest of you a chance.

JS70099448.jpg

Hearts and Hibs fans even teaming up on here to have a go at the dandies, utter class and total jealousy.  Were getting a new team together and still manage to remain unbeaten in the league and joint top with the so called invincibles of celtic.  We know how to win matches in this league when the chips are down and were not playing well. We seem to finally have a defence & goalkeeper that give us a platform to win games by the odd goal.  Yes were not going to pass teams off the park like celtic do week in week out but what we will do is not get humped at home by Hamilton 3-0 and we will grind out wins in tight games against the likes of hibs.

Archived