TLC: Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2017

JamieStevenson

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would've preferred a stronger late flurry from Asuka before the Asuka lock. It would've been better to sell her as an unstoppable force while putting Emma over as valiant but ultimately not on the same level but it was still a decent match.

Everyone seems to be raving about how amazing the main event was, but...meh.  It wasn't bad by any means, and there's been far less enjoyable matches, but it was just a bit of a confused mess.  Kurt clearly wasn't quite ready to step in, and I hope it's just that he hasn't quite conditioned himself with him moving a little uneasily.  The match had its moments but it was a bit boring at times.  They painted themselves into a corner by having it 5-on-3, particularly when it became 2 to protect Angle.  Then it really lost its way when Strowman and Kane had their own mini match - sure it was enjoyable, but it just showed that they had no idea what they were doing once their first plan fell apart.  Good to see more attempted murder on screen though, and the confused screeching coming from the announce table, who seemed to not know quite how to react to seeing someone put into a compactor.

Jordan/Elias...deary me.  The shot of him wheeling his wee trolley full of veg away, wearing his gear, grinning with all the terrified notes of "pleeeeeease like me" was pretty bad.  They've made a complete abortion of a storyline with this.

Think they played the Asuka/Emma match almost perfectly.  Think she should have been slightly more dominant, maybe with a stronger late flurry like NotThePars mentions, but I don't think it was right to just completely squash Emma.  She fought dirty at times, never really fully in control of Asuka, and eventually well beaten.  Good match.

Styles/Balor was great, despite zero story and zero build.  Might be a blessing in disguise that Wyatt got injured, I'd actually build a story into this one now and let them go 1-on-1 at Survivor Series.  Give Wyatt a break and try and develop the Sister Abigail stuff while pumping JoJo (not both at the same time, mind) then bring him back later to feud with Finn.

Aye Kurt really shouldn't be wrestling. He's clearly too broken down from years of being an absolute mentalist and pushing himself harder than anyone, and working through mad injuries (like multiple broken necks!). The poor guy looks to be in pain quite often, and you can see this from his he stands and how he walks. Watch it again and you'll see how nervous he looks before the match during the entrance. 

He was strongly protected, barely taking a bump, and just busting out a few suplexes and Angle Slams. 

Sad as it is, the guy is done and has no business wrestling any more. He's gave enough and they should be telling him 'no more'. Sadly, because they're so desperate, we probably will see him again. He's one of the best of all time, but to see a slowed down version of him does no one any favours.

Aye Kurt really shouldn't be wrestling. He's clearly too broken down from years of being an absolute mentalist and pushing himself harder than anyone, and working through mad injuries (like multiple broken necks!). The poor guy looks to be in pain quite often, and you can see this from his he stands and how he walks. Watch it again and you'll see how nervous he looks before the match during the entrance. 
He was strongly protected, barely taking a bump, and just busting out a few suplexes and Angle Slams. 
Sad as it is, the guy is done and has no business wrestling any more. He's gave enough and they should be telling him 'no more'. Sadly, because they're so desperate, we probably will see him again. He's one of the best of all time, but to see a slowed down version of him does no one any favours.

A few reports on Reddit seem to say he passed the Medicals just, Vince only suggested Angle when they realised how bad Reigns was.

*casual fan alert*

Why do they ruin all decent surprises nowadays?  I'm aware that they announced Kurt's in-ring return beforehand probably to spike buy rates for the PPV but it completely took away from a pop of excitement at the match. If Kurt's music had hit before the match and he came out as the Shield'd partner, having had no prior knowledge of it,  I would have lost my shit big time. My interest would have been spiked for a number of weeks/months and I would have spent more money on the product. Seems like a bit of a false economy to me, everything they do is for an instant hit of cash.

They did the same with the Goldberg return and to a lesser extent Kurt's announcement as Raw GM was fairly obvious as he was inducted into the HoF the night before.  The return of the Hardy's was such a great moment with such a great reaction, which for me made a shite Wrestlemania worth the money, I just don't understand why they don't do more shit like that nowadays. All the fun has been sucked out it.

I read the wrestling part of the forum here as i like to be kept upto date but in reality all it is is guys moaning about how shite the WWE is now, why do people bother? Through hope that'll get better?

We had the in-ring return of one of the greatest wrestlers ever being thrown last minute into a complete clusterfuck of a match to plug a gap. Absolute madness.    

While I agree with you mostly (although surprises are something they always try desperately to keep, but the internet ruins it) I don't think they can be blamed for this one.  They were in a really shitty position whereby their huge jewel in the crown was now dead in the water.  Had they not announced anything, they'd have had some very angry customers in the lead up, and not sure a surprise Angle entrance would have saved it coming so late in the day.

You're right though, when they really do manage to swerve you in a good way and hit a surprise, it's amazing.  Best moment watching wrestling in recent memory (I was a pretty recent returner to watching) was Bryan winning at WM30 because I was sure they weren't going to do it.  That and Goldberg squashing Lesnar the first time, which was absolutely unbelievable at the time.  I bother because for the most part I still enjoy watching the constantly unfolding stories, even though they could be so much better, and the hope that they're going to pull out these surprises every so often.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I think with time to run up to it, he could easily get through a match with the right guy on the big stage.  I think the problem came because he was clearly in no fit state yet.  He's keeping himself in shape, obviously, but there'll be a big difference between in-shape and ring-shape.  He'll return for a big match at WM I'd imagine, and if you put him with the right opponent, and give him the time to put in the work, you'll probably see a lot better.

51 minutes ago, forameus said:

While I agree with you mostly (although surprises are something they always try desperately to keep, but the internet ruins it) I don't think they can be blamed for this one.  They were in a really shitty position whereby their huge jewel in the crown was now dead in the water.  Had they not announced anything, they'd have had some very angry customers in the lead up, and not sure a surprise Angle entrance would have saved it coming so late in the day.

You're right though, when they really do manage to swerve you in a good way and hit a surprise, it's amazing.  Best moment watching wrestling in recent memory (I was a pretty recent returner to watching) was Bryan winning at WM30 because I was sure they weren't going to do it.  That and Goldberg squashing Lesnar the first time, which was absolutely unbelievable at the time.  I bother because for the most part I still enjoy watching the constantly unfolding stories, even though they could be so much better, and the hope that they're going to pull out these surprises every so often.

I think with time to run up to it, he could easily get through a match with the right guy on the big stage.  I think the problem came because he was clearly in no fit state yet.  He's keeping himself in shape, obviously, but there'll be a big difference between in-shape and ring-shape.  He'll return for a big match at WM I'd imagine, and if you put him with the right opponent, and give him the time to put in the work, you'll probably see a lot better.

Announce AJ as part of the main event and have someone else fight Finn Balor. AJ's popularity keeps the fans happy (let's face it given a choice of AJ Styles or Roman Reigns, a majority would probably pick AJ Styles) and save Kurt's in-ring return for a farewell Wrestlemania feud, where we can all get excited as f**k about one the best going at it for the last time. Seems simple enough to me.

They've managed to kill 2 birds with one stone here and not in a good way.

Archived