Plastic Whistle v Managerless Relegation Fodder

What has happened to Thistle?

They were miles better than we were last season, playing decent football and totally bossed us all over the park.

They were absolutely pish today.

Same manager, almost same players.

OK we were much improved from before  but I dont get the angst against Archibald.

What has changed?

Another genuine question, but  why sign a striker who has shown he can score goals and play him out wide?

And another, why play Sammon at all?

I guess that I've just answered my original question.

I seriously hope Thistle  get themselves sorted out as I enjoy the rivalry.

As an aside. I cant seriously  believe I'm actually taking the moral high ground as a Killie fan who has witnessed such utter pish over the past few years.

Alcohol and a belief that we may actually be about to turn the corner helps.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

What has happened to Thistle?

They were miles better than we were last season, playing decent football and totally bossed us all over the park.

They were absolutely pish today.

Same manager, almost same players.

OK we were much improved from before  but I dont get the angst against Archibald.

What has changed?

The midfield has changed quite a bit, and the current situation at CM is the real issue. The lack of Osman as an enforcer has been a big loss for the majority of this season, as even when he's playing poorly he's still a big fucking lump in the middle that's hard to get by; something we were crying out for today. Barton and Edwards as a CM pairing doesn't work, because neither is a ball winner and neither will take the ball and drive with it either. This area of the pitch being so weak hinders us in two ways: it doesn't provide sufficient cover for the defence, and it doesn't give the attacking players anything to work with either. Essentially, because the centre of the park has just about completely broken down, the whole team is a fucking mess as a result.

I don't really know what the solution here is either. Osman is out, Bannigan has fallen off the face of the earth, Gary Fraser is a complete waste of a space in the squad, and the other alternatives are young boys. Might be worth trying Andrew McCarthy, but I'm not really sure chucking in an 18-year-old to try and change the fortunes of a poor team is the right idea. Until Osman and Bannigan return, we'll most likely continue to be a fucking shambles no matter what we do.

On the other hand, I thought Killie played things perfectly today. It felt like the original plan was to sit in, keep compact and try to nick one on the counter. But as they realised we weren't as good as expected and had nothing about us, they adjusted, became more proactive in trying to win the game, and completely bossed it as soon as they did. Jones and Frizzell ran us ragged, and the big lads at the back had the cigars out. Almost certain you won't get an easier win all season.

The consummate ease with which Killie dealt with us today was depressing to watch.

I was saying to QLP, formerly of this parish, before the game that your central midfield would be fundamental our getting anything out of that game, and given the groans from the Killie boys in the pub about Alan Power starting, I thought it maybe represented our best chance of winning a midfield battle with our dwindling numbers.

That was not the case and we were soundly beaten although the first goal was fortunate in the sense of just utterly humming defending - another total departure from last season where although we conceded cheap goals, it wasn't happening every week.

This was Archie's first genuinely serious important game at the bottom end of the table since the 4-2 at Tynecastle in 2014 and he failed dramatically. The fans are right to be wanting him gone, although I don't see who would be a feasible replacement and he's also dealing with an injury crisis that's making a mockery of his whole "Small squad, more quality" idea.

It's still a long way to go but I'm genuinely concerned.

10 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Thistle looked rotten. Storey was useless and that defence makes ours look like world beaters. 

What about the bad points? 

Was raging walking out of the game yesterday. Killie were dreadful, yet never looked like losing the game. That’s how bad we were.

Nitriansky is so awful it would be hilarious if I was watching any other team. Storey is never a winger in his life, and all he contributed was a couple of daft, pointless runs across the halfway line. The sight of Edwards attempting to make 50/60 yard passes will haunt me till the day I die. McCarthy is the only Thistle player who could leave that pitch and think he did well (although I don’t think he’s the solution to our problems).

Injuries from our battle royals training regime are clearly having an effect, but how long do we really give Archie? Saying as long as he wants is nonsense. I’m a massive fan of his, but the team has regressed massively this season, and the players don’t seem arsed anymore. If we don’t win two of the next three then we should be seriously considering his position, and if we don’t win any, then he needs to go. Going without a win from April to November is inexcusable, regardless of who you are.

38 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Was raging walking out of the game yesterday. Killie were dreadful, yet never looked like losing the game. That’s how bad we were.

Nitriansky is so awful it would be hilarious if I was watching any other team. Storey is never a winger in his life, and all he contributed was a couple of daft, pointless runs across the halfway line. The sight of Edwards attempting to make 50/60 yard passes will haunt me till the day I die. McCarthy is the only Thistle player who could leave that pitch and think he did well (although I don’t think he’s the solution to our problems).

Injuries from our battle royals training regime are clearly having an effect, but how long do we really give Archie? Saying as long as he wants is nonsense. I’m a massive fan of his, but the team has regressed massively this season, and the players don’t seem arsed anymore. If we don’t win two of the next three then we should be seriously considering his position, and if we don’t win any, then he needs to go. Going without a win from April to November is inexcusable, regardless of who you are.

Archie is the only one that can answer why one of the best strikers in the league a few years ago has been dumped out on the wing. It beggars belief.  As for the next three games, if we don't win even one of them and given the November fixture list, we are looking at December before we can get that elusive first win. Not sure if even Archie can survive that scenario. Despite Maxi's ramblings I still can't see the board sacking him but they must be looking at rival clubs like County and Killie who have obviously upgraded their managers (still can't quite believe Killie have tempted Clarke back to Scotland) If we are winless after the St Johstone game I can honestly see him walking of his own accord.

Nitriansky was showing for the ball a lot down the right but it was infuriating watching him hardly ever try to make a forward, overlapping run. Just stood there a few times waiting for the ball to come to him, and whenever he did get it he never once tried to run forward with it!

Was especially galling when O'Donnell was going forward down that side second half... :(

Said yesterday that Storey looks like a guy who was a pro rugby player but has had to switch to playing football and doesn't really understand the rules. Good physique, great pace... no footballing ability, just wants to run through players, or burst 20 yards straight across the park and lay it off to someone else (not wearing red and yellow). I get that folk will say he's playing out of position but in the only game I've seen him where he started through the middle vs the Orcs, he spent most of the game running out to the wing to get the ball anyway.

Midfield problems have been well documented, but barring some miracle of Bannigan and Fraser getting fit and back to top form (which in the latter's case is a 3 match spell in August 2014 and he's been here for 4 and a bit years now) we're down to chucking in McCarthy there and hoping he floats rather than sinks. Oddly of the last-gasp desperation throwing in another CB there and hoping it works as a DM, Turnbull might be the best bet as he can pass it a bit... but there's an argument he's our best fit left back as well as it stands, and shift McGinn over to his natural side.

Still a long way to go, but hard to take any positives at all from the last 2 games.

Also, remind me never to pay for a Thistle game on the PPV on holiday, way to spoil my last day of sunshine (though sitting outside in the heat with a few cold beers helped). Only other time I've done it, we lost 0-1 to St Johnstone last year.

The sight of Edwards attempting to make 50/60 yard passes will haunt me till the day I die.

What a strange attitude, considering practically every one he made, landed right on Nitriansky's boot.

If you had said Devine, your argument may have been more credible, considering over the period of the end of the first half and beginning of the second, he misplaced 8 long range passes in a row.

Even if your Edwards point was valid, it would be strange to criticise him for attempting to follow the managers orders. Especially as Archie in his post match interview publically criticised the players who repeatedly resorted to playing 10 yard passes. Or as I would call it, passed the buck.

2 hours ago, dave.j said:

What a strange attitude, considering practically every one he made, landed right on Nitriansky's boot.

If you had said Devine, your argument may have been more credible, considering over the period of the end of the first half and beginning of the second, he misplaced 8 long range passes in a row.

Even if your Edwards point was valid, it would be strange to criticise him for attempting to follow the managers orders. Especially as Archie in his post match interview publically criticised the players who repeatedly resorted to playing 10 yard passes. Or as I would call it, passed the buck.

I can recall at least three occasions where Edwards launched the ball forward and it went nowhere near the intended recipient, attempting to switch from right to left, so wouldn't have been aimed at Nitriansky. I can agree that Devine was just as bad, if not worse though. Think I've just grown so accustomed to his abysmal distribution that I don't even notice it anymore.

Correct, Archie criticising players for his shitty squad selection is passing the back.

9 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Out of interest how were we dreadful? We completely played you off the park. 

Correct, Archie criticising players for his shitty squad selection is passing the back.
That's never a good sign, exactly what Forlan at ICT & McCulloch at Killie did, just before they left their respective clubs.....

8 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

That's never a good sign, exactly what Forlan at ICT & McCulloch at Killie did, just before they left their respective clubs.....

Not looking good for us at the moment:( 

(Of course this would all change if we beat Dundee next Saturday)

Archived