Plastic Whistle v Managerless Relegation Fodder

Alan Archibald has so far breezed along on good will from a section of the Thistle support simply because he played in some previously successful Thistle sides. If he was an ex-Old Firm player he would already have been under a lot more pressure before now.

People need to remove themselves from this sentimentality when thinking about the way the team currently performs, and has previously performed under Alan Archibald.

We need to bin all this "In Archie we trust" and "greatest squad ever" crap, it reminds me of when Gerry Collins told us John Paul McBride was the greatest passer in Scottish football. Archibald is not a good manager who is going to be head-hunted by a bigger team. 3 more games, at least 2 wins or that's it, he should be toast. You at least have to make an attempt to avoid relegation.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Reid said:

I would rather play Turnbull out of position than throw a 17/18 year old who is nowhere near ready in.

Aye because playing guys out of position is helping us at the moment so let's play some more. You don't know if they're ready until they get some sort of first team experience?

Whoever gave Edwards the MOTM has obviously had some serious pre match bevy. We sign what every one believes to be a half decent striker and in the last two games he has been played on the wings. In the last two games, not one player has come near to pass marks and today only Cerny and McCarthy can escape criticism. Full backs are awful, Frizell and Jones doubled up to destroy Nitriansky,  Keown looks a shadow of last years player, nothing in midfield, nothing out wide and nothing up front. What I have witnessed in the last two games has relegation written all over it. 

2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Archie has no idea what to do with Storey.
Another dreadful signing.

Unfair! He is an out and out striker who is being played out wide. Why? God only knows. Archie said on Jagzone yesterday that everyone was fit bar the long term. If that's the case where was Lawless and Bannigan today? McCarthy did more in the 15 minutes or so he was on than Edwards and Barton combined. 

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Is he a dreadful signing? You just said that Archie has no idea what to do with him. Is that Storey's fault?

Agree with you he played so well for Inverness playing as a striker which is why Aberdeen had signed him. I don't think he's even played through the middle for us yet and for what it's worth I actually preferred Sammon playing out wide.

In an ideal world we'd have Osman giving some defensive presence to the midfield, and Bannigan quickly distributing the ball wide to attacking full backs. Instead we had a full back who was out of position and looks uncomfortable going forward, and another who takes an age to control the ball and just looks plain shite. I actually thought Edwards' and Barton's distribution was very good today, but off the ball they are hopeless and midfielders will just breeze past them. The only other option is to start an unproven McCarthy, but I doubt much would change. 

We do have a good squad but are completely hamstrung by injuries and just need to ride it out as best we can until January, where we'll hopefully be in touching distance with 10th. We've done it before and can do it again. About the worst thing I think we could do is sack Archibald; I doubt Mourinho could make anything of our current injury ravaged team, so a jobber like John Hughes certainly won't.

Why he persists with Barton and Edwards in the middle of the park when young Mcarthys sitting there is a fucking mystery ! Barton should be playing sweeper he can't play in fucking midfield is he blind. Dropping Turnbull when Keown has been poor for 2 games ?  Storey isnt a winger and is wasted there. The chzech guy can't play football. Why is our bench missing 2 players when we have youth players ? f**k off archie !

I said earlier I'd take Archie at killie, the offer still stands. I believe the mini kickers need volunteer coaches on a Saturday morning

6 minutes ago, killie_lad said:

I said earlier I'd take Archie at killie, the offer still stands. I believe the mini kickers need volunteer coaches on a Saturday morning

tumblr_lz3npwOoJg1qe5b8wo1_r2_500.gif

Aye because playing guys out of position is helping us at the moment so let's play some more. You don't know if they're ready until they get some sort of first team experience?

I've seen them play for the development team. They're nowhere near ready.

In an ideal world we'd have Osman giving some defensive presence to the midfield, and Bannigan quickly distributing the ball wide to attacking full backs. Instead we had a full back who was out of position and looks uncomfortable going forward, and another who takes an age to control the ball and just looks plain shite. I actually thought Edwards' and Barton's distribution was very good today, but off the ball they are hopeless and midfielders will just breeze past them. The only other option is to start an unproven McCarthy, but I doubt much would change. 
We do have a good squad but are completely hamstrung by injuries and just need to ride it out as best we can until January, where we'll hopefully be in touching distance with 10th. We've done it before and can do it again. About the worst thing I think we could do is sack Archibald; I doubt Mourinho could make anything of our current injury ravaged team, so a jobber like John Hughes certainly won't.

If we don’t sack Archie then it’s down to fan boys like this who want Archie in charge at any cost.

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

If we don’t sack Archie then it’s down to fan boys like this who want Archie in charge at any cost.

No, I just have a more plausible idea as to why we're shite at the minute than the 'dae sumthin tae change it Archie!!1!' morons in the JHS.

14 minutes ago, Reid said:

I've seen them play for the development team. They're nowhere near ready.

I've also seen a few development games and i can tell you they look more up for a football match than a few of our experienced players have in the last 2 matches. 

Archived