Rangers and Celtic to merge?

No it wouldn’t our second tier gets better attendances than some nations top league. Saturday just gone saw the Pars pull a crowd of over 7000 without being in the same league as the OF, Raith pulled over 3000 in Tier 3. Scottish football would be fine without the OF even taking them out the statistics our leagues still have good attendances for our population size.

On 02/10/2017 at 10:01, Michael Stipe said:

With Celtic struggling to compete in Europe and Rangers unable (or unwilling) to beat part-time teams, is it time that the two teams merged?

I agree.  They are always saying that very thing about other clubs in Scotland lol

Glasgow United.

On 15/12/2017 at 14:26, EdTheDuck said:

Although there is no reason to suppose that getting rid of the ugly sisters is somehow going to magically fill stadia all over Scotland, it is equally true to suppose that their loss will not suddenly see fans abandon their teams either.

The thought process should be, if Hearts can attract 16,000 in a league set up they have absolutely no chance of ever winning then why would they attract fewer in a league set-up they definitely could win?

It is also perfectly possible that the teams going for the title will see a significant increase in attendance(s). If more than one team is realistically going for it then all the contenders will see a significant increase in attendance.

At the start of any season, how many teams fans will genuinely hope they could win the championship without the gruesome twosome? Certainly the city teams, but also Motherwell? St Johnstone? Kilmarnock?

There is also zero chance of no TV and no sponsorship. The Welsh League, which is largely part-time, is sponsored by a ‘Welsh’ building society and is covered by S4C television, despite 6 of the biggest Welsh clubs playing in the English league system.

I cannot envisage a situation where a league with attendances twenty times greater than the Welsh League would not attract TV coverage and with that comes guaranteed sponsorship.

Absolutely this. At the start of the season you would have 5 or 6 teams that really reckoned they would be in with a shout and season ticket sales would rocket. And any telly money lost short term would ultimately be clawed back as 3 and 4 way title battles would be a million times more exciting than the status quo and broadcasters would compete for the rights to show not just two teams games but anyone still in contentions. 

We don't even need them to go anywhere either. The other premier clubs could just start a new league (that's how the SPL started) and not invite them. The problem is the other clubs chairmen would be too spineless for such a move as they would see it as gambling the telly deals at the moment and the money from getting them filling a stand twice a year. 

As a Dunfermline fan this wouldn't really effect us at the moment but I can tell you as a fan off a championship club currently in a play off place, I don't really want us to go up. The SPL seasons are never fun, it's virtually impossible to ever win the league and you get a load of pissed Neanderthals coming to your park singing bigoted songs about stuff that happened hundreds of years ago. 

Or we could stay in the championship, sit in the top half of the table, play our Derby teams, occasionally blow teams away, go to some grounds where you can still stand and have pretty good chance of winning the league at some point. When we do win it, whenever that is, we should refuse promotion and be the first side to retain the championship title, f*** the system.

I think this is a better idea than people think. There seems to be an assumption that Celtic and Rangers are each too big to merge, but in reality there is no need for both of these teams so they should be merged into one team and shipped off to another nation like South Africa or Russia.

In terms of European Competition, maybe they could merge for the purposes of European games as a transition towards a full merger.

On 1/21/2018 at 03:15, thatsnever10yairds said:

Absolutely this. At the start of the season you would have 5 or 6 teams that really reckoned they would be in with a shout and season ticket sales would rocket. And any telly money lost short term would ultimately be clawed back as 3 and 4 way title battles would be a million times more exciting than the status quo and broadcasters would compete for the rights to show not just two teams games but anyone still in contentions. 

We don't even need them to go anywhere either. The other premier clubs could just start a new league (that's how the SPL started) and not invite them. The problem is the other clubs chairmen would be too spineless for such a move as they would see it as gambling the telly deals at the moment and the money from getting them filling a stand twice a year. 

As a Dunfermline fan this wouldn't really effect us at the moment but I can tell you as a fan off a championship club currently in a play off place, I don't really want us to go up. The SPL seasons are never fun, it's virtually impossible to ever win the league and you get a load of pissed Neanderthals coming to your park singing bigoted songs about stuff that happened hundreds of years ago. 

Or we could stay in the championship, sit in the top half of the table, play our Derby teams, occasionally blow teams away, go to some grounds where you can still stand and have pretty good chance of winning the league at some point. When we do win it, whenever that is, we should refuse promotion and be the first side to retain the championship title, f*** the system.

My thinking also. :thumsup2

On 05/01/2018 at 02:15, thekorean said:

If Rangers and Celtic collapsed for whatever reason, would Thistle fill the void or Edinburgh teams dominate the league plus Aberdeen?

I could actually see Queens Park stepping up, providing of course that they were prepared to ground share with Edinburgh Rugby.

There is a lot wrong with the game in Scotland most of which stems from the old firm and the duopoly they enjoy. 

Scottish football without the presence of that loathsome vermin wouldn't suddenly transform itself but over time it would find it's level. The top league would become a vibrant league with a number of teams having a genuine chance of winning it. If the arse cheeks disappeared, to where I care not, then my own club would lose roughly 25,000 paying customers without their visits but with increased gates across the board we could well pick that up, or something close to it, in the other games. 

We don't need the old firm. They, however, need each other. 

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 02:15, thekorean said:

If Rangers and Celtic collapsed for whatever reason, would Thistle fill the void or Edinburgh teams dominate the league plus Aberdeen?

I for one would welcome our new Thistle overlords

Kingsley can start with Govan

Image result for kingsley partick

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me wen people come out with this "Scottish football without the OF would collapse " nonsense.

OF seem to struggle with this basic logic. When I am watching my team , Aberdeen, play say Kilmarnock, 100% of my attention is on that game.

Who the old firm or anyone else are playing is a complete afterthought and has no affect on my desire to attend that game or support my team. It is the same for all non OF supporters and their teams.

The idea that I would suddenly stop supporting my team because 2 teams I despise  are no longer in the league is a ludicrous suggestion.

I see Arsing Wanger believes that financial imbalance has destroyed competition in the English Prem and the other 4 Big Bucks Leagues

Apparently only, only, 6 teams have won the EPL since 1992. I wish we had six different champions in the last 25 years. Or even three.

BTW did he complain about imbalance when Arsenal were carving up the titles with Man U?

• 8 months later...
On 03/10/2017 at 14:03, rhliston said:

Problem is who would have them ? The English don't want them, they both carry too much baggage and I cant see any Atlantic League coming into the horizon any time soon. So we are stuck with them. 

Bottom of the deep blue sea

Archived