St Mirren v Raith Rovers . Challenge Cup Rd 3

shull

Even if we put out our strongest current 11, I’d reckon this will be a pretty standard win for St Mirren.  We are lacklustre in midfield just now and ropey at the back.   Theres a pretty big gap between the leagues in general, so I would imagine St Mirren will come out relatively comfortable winners.

I really really hope we play as weakened a side as possible though.  We’ve already lost 1 key player to injury in this cup, absolutely no point risking anyone else.  The league is our absolute priority.  Granted we would likely get an absolute hiding in that instance, but our squad is pushed to the limits already.  To lose someone like Barr, Vaughan or Thomson would be disaster.

We’ve won this cup before, in the absolute best possible circumstance that you can win it – not really interested in it anymore bar the odd good day out it throws up – this isn’t one, so pretty indifferent. 

Absolutely.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

Barry's putting the kids out.....could be a hiding to nothing.

It's what this competition should be for, tbh. It just so happens that our 'kids' are also among our best players, and two of them were playing last night, while a third probably would have been but is injured.

Wonder if our u-20s will get us the win or we'll take another 5-0 thrashing. Having no centre midfield makes it difficult to win games. Especially against non-Seaside league teams.

Still, stranger things have happened. Mon the u-20s. We are unstoppable!

3 hours ago, RRFC2711 said:

Barry's putting the kids out.....could be a hiding to nothing.

He doesnt say that. he is putting out his strongest team which will include some youngsters which is a opportunity for them to show and earn places for selection throughout the season. He clearly states he wants to win this game which is a tad different from fielding our entire youth players as many suggest. Personally i agree with him. win and we could always draw DU or the Pars which would earn us money that we need to hopefully add a player. However he does also state thre league is our priority so yes some youngsters will play, but not the entire starting 11.

Too much negativity about this  tournament.  Nobody's forcing anyone to go and watch it. If the  Premier U21's are sent away to f***  it would be a really good tournament.

If we got to the final again that would be great.

I don't mind the Welsh and Irish teams, but I'm not a fan of letting the u-20s enter.

This season where we barely have a decent starting XI anymore and where all efforts need to be put towards winning the league, is not the season I want to be fannying about with the cups.

Archived