Kilimarnock's Next Permanent Manager

Kilmarnock's Next Manager  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Scott Boyd has an internship as assistant to Kirsten Callaghan, Kilmarnock FC CEO, to get him through his sports management degree. Technically that would make him McIntyre's boss.... Lol. 

That is a tremendous point :lol:

Scott Boyd has an internship as assistant to Kirsten Callaghan, Kilmarnock FC CEO, to get him through his sports management degree.

All of this is just absolutely fucking ridiculous. All of it.

16 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

McGhee managed to take the bloated,unbalanced mess that was destined for relegation under Baraclough and turn it into a functioning football team, finishing 5th and binning loads of deadweight. If it's that McGhee then I could see him doing a pretty decent job in similar circumstances at Killie.  If it's the McGhee of the season after who clearly suffered some sort of mental breakdown, however...

Pretty much.

After last season's shitshow and McGhee's meltdown it's kind of easy to forget how the season before went.

In fairness we were in a bit of a better nick than Killie when he took over (9th on 10 points after 10 games) but things weren't exactly looking good given the way things had been going under Baraclough. He picked up 2 manager of the month awards that season and largely it was those runs of form that got us Top 6. Unbeaten through December (3 wins and 2 draws) and 6 wins from 7 between mid-Feb through to the split in April including 5 wins on the bounce.

The 2-1 win against Celtic under him that season means we're still the last side to win a league game at Parkhead right? You can balance that out with the 6-0 against Hearts and the 7-0 against Celtic but on the whole for a team that needed extra-time to beat East Fife and were eventually papped out the LC by Morton finishing in 5th place was a decent turnaround.

At the same time he got shot of David Clarkson, Theo Robinson, Craig Reid and cut short Jake Taylor's loan in January as well which going by the club accounts was absolutely necessary after Baraclough's trolley dash. Granted he signed Morgaro Gomis but swings and roundabouts there. He not only get the best out of Marvin Johnson but also managed to talk him up quite spectacularly and enable us to sell to Oxford for a fair wedge, he also gave Ben Hall a shot in the first team that resulted in us getting (I think) £230k from Brighton for a player who played less than 20 games for us.

In a sense the job he did that season is exactly the sort of thing you'd think Killie should be looking for. Experienced manager who's shown he can turn a failing side round without the owner having to sign an entirely new team in January. 

However given he's still got a 6 game ban to serve and he not only lost his mind last season but he also seemed to get lazy as well. Everything about last season screamed that he couldn't be arsed and was simply phoning it in.

Hindsight's great but listening to Burrows talk about Robinson's approach to recruitment and comparing the players we brought in this summer to last season it raises legit questions.  Granted our budget was reduced but I can't imagine that there's much difference between this season and last. Our COO is the same guy, our chief scout/head of recruitment is the same guy...yet last season we ended up with Blyth, Clay, Lucas and Dean Brill, made Samson first choice simply because he was there and just persisted with Joe Chalmers for a similar reason. You've heard a surprising number of players saying explicitly in press conferences this season that one of the major issues was that that the team picked itself last season and how the lack of depth in the squad that was there was a problem. The only key difference in the personnel is the manager, which should raise questions.

It seemed telling that when Flow did that interview for MFC at the start of the close season he was quite pointed in saying that Robinson had been putting in the miles going to watch and identify players. The more I compare this season with last I can't help but feel McGhee was simply saying "get me a 6ft 3 target man" and picking a name off a list. You also look at the difference in a player like Bowman under Robinson vs the performances he put in under McGhee. Similarly, Robinson departing as assistant and with McFadden coming in as his replacement (along with the subsequent improvement since Robinson's become manager) makes you wonder exactly how much an influence Robinson had on the coaching side vs. McGhee.

It's curious timing that McGhee's been talking in the press about wanting to get back into full time management. I could see McGhee actually be able to put forward a decent case tbh. It all depends on whether Killie ask him the right questions and whether he'd actually be motivated. Also there's the question of whether they'd be willing to allow him to stick with his Scotland gig and if his commute back and forth to Brighton would be an issue.

All told I'd imagine McIntyre would probably be a less contentious shout for the job though.

McGhee managed to take the bloated,unbalanced mess that was destined for relegation under Baraclough and turn it into a functioning football team, finishing 5th and binning loads of deadweight. If it's that McGhee then I could see him doing a pretty decent job in similar circumstances at Killie.  If it's the McGhee of the season after who clearly suffered some sort of mental breakdown, however...

His record of either being very good or very bad with not much in between does worry me but he’s probably the most realistic shout.

Lambert or McLeish would (maybe) be good but probably out of our budget.

If it's McGhee or Houston I'll have a full frontal aneurysm.

I think it will be McIntyre or Hartley. Possibly Holt, but the board may want experience.

For the sole basis that it may make Lex weep, I'd like it to be Jack Ross.

Kilmarnock's board have no preferred candidate, are prepared to look abroad for a new team boss to replace Lee McCulloch and will prioritise someone with tactical acumen rather than someone purely motivational and inspirational. (Daily Record)

Apparently Killie are now going to look for someone who actually knows what they're doing.  Seems a bit of a radical move for Scottish football.

14 minutes ago, killie_lad said:

Someone on the killie forums has just suggested him, Paul Hartley and Jockey Scott and it's his first ever post. That was you wasn't it

Pmsl, no I couldn't be arsed going to that effort like - Broon was obvs an inspired choice tho

Archived