Sons vs Stranraer

microdave

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Us beating Stranraer :lol:

Us winning three Challenge Cup games in the one season :lol::lol:

Us beating Stranraer in a Challenge Cup tie, when we've already won two games in the tournament :lol::lol::lol:

Us winning a tie against a lower league side in a Cup, with that lower league side being Stranraer  :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Us win four home games in a row (Nomads, Brechin, ICT, this) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very comfortable away win. 

Last time we beat Stranraer - 2003 (13 games ago)

Last time we won three challenge cup games in one season - never

Last time we beat Stranraer in the challenge cup - never (4 attempts)

Last time we beat a lower league team in a cup - August 2014 against Brechin (11 attempts since)

Last time we won four home games in a row - April/May 2012.

When was the last time we played a competitive game on a Friday night? The last one I can remember being at was against Third Lanark in 1967! We used to play friendlies on a Friday night around then on a few occasions. I remember a 2-2 against Rangers Reserves and a 1-0 win against Ross County.

9 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

When was the last time we played a competitive game on a Friday night? The last one I can remember being at was against Third Lanark in 1967! We used to play friendlies on a Friday night around then on a few occasions. I remember a 2-2 against Rangers Reserves and a 1-0 win against Ross County.

I'm don't know if it was the last time we played at home on a Friday but I found a game against Clydebank on New Year's Day 1971, although that was a 3.00 ko.

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

I'm not doing well here, as I was at that one too! Got a surprise on the day when I read the programme and found my name in it.

We played Dundee at home on the last day of 1973/74 on a Friday night. Won 2-0 and qualified fro the Texaco Cup. . .until the next morning when they changed the qualification rules and we didnt get in

14 hours ago, microdave said:

I'm don't know if it was the last time we played at home on a Friday but I found a game against Clydebank on New Year's Day 1971, although that was a 3.00 ko.

image.jpeg

We also had a scheduled fixture the next day that year although it was postponed. Two games in two days - can you imagine that happening now.

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

We also had a scheduled fixture the next day that year although it was postponed. Two games in two days - can you imagine that happening now.

Teams regularly played three games in four days over the New Year period, e.g. seasons 1949/50, 1950/51, 1955/56, 1963/64, 1966/67, 1967/68, 1968/69!

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

We played Dundee at home on the last day of 1973/74 on a Friday night. Won 2-0 and qualified fro the Texaco Cup. . .until the next morning when they changed the qualification rules and we didnt get in

Great spot! Am I right in thinking that we took out advertising time on STV to publicise the game against Dundee?

28 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Teams regularly played three games in four days over the New Year period, e.g. seasons 1949/50, 1950/51, 1955/56, 1963/64, 1966/67, 1967/68, 1968/69!

Great spot! Am I right in thinking that we took out advertising time on STV to publicise the game against Dundee?

We certainly advertised games on tv at some stage, cant remember exactly when though

Certainly a lot of old nostalgia on this thread. Many of you must be much older than I am and I was born as recently as 1971.

Anyhow with the good prices and the chance to sample Friday night football I'm well up for this.

I'm also taking every opportunity to encourage folk to go who might normally do something else on a Saturday.

In order for the reduced prices to be a success and an indicator that price does make a difference(see previous sons Sorrow thread) could I ask you all to do the same and try and encourage others to go. At least let others know of the prices, etc.

I appreciate many of the diehards on here probably do that as a matter of course but i'm worried if we get a rotten crowd the board will see that as justification for the expensive league game entry price.

Of course I might be wrong about that but let's try and get a good crowd at this one.

Will there be (m)any Stranraer fans making the journey up?

I've been having a wee think about things, and I reckon we'd be well placed to try something a bit different in this, firstly for a plan B, and secondly to avoid injuries to some of the big players. I wouldn't be averse to seeing us go with something like this.

Scott Gallacher

Sam Wardrop Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Chris McLaughlin

Tom Walsh David Wilson Kyle Hutton Chris Johnston/Ally Roy

Dimitris Froxylias

Calum Gallagher

I'd really rather we didn't risk Nade, even though he so influential to the way we play, with some big league games coming up. With Morrison out cup-tied, and Stewart pretty unable to play up front on his own (and injury prone) it'll give Calum Gallagher a chance to stake his claim in a more natural position. I don't think he really is a winger, but I reckon he has some of the assets to be a pretty handy forward. Chris Johnston hasn't been seen for months, so assuming he is still with us I'd like to see him brought back into the side. I actually thought he was coming onto a game towards the end of the LC run, however his confidence will probably be shot after so long without a game again. Then again Stevie could also go with Ally Roy - our star man of the early stages of the season - and a genuinely exciting guy to watch when he's running at guys. He doesn't seem to fancy him much though either, so no doubt Mark Stewart will end up on the wing...

In midfield I toyed with the idea of sticking Kyle Prior in, for two reasons A) The experience would do him good, and he looked decent enough in pre-season and B) He's not Kyle Hutton. Then I remembered how lightweight a David Wilson/Kyle Prior midfield looked against Ayr and thought otherwise. Plus, Hutton's only going to get better with gametime - eh? :unsure:

Tom Walsh seems to be a guy who needs plenty of games to heat up. He roasted Livi in the second half on Saturday (after a typically anonymous first) so let's hope he kicks on. The defence picks itself, and I've left Mango out altogether as a result of his injury record. It's too much of a risk. Wardrop or Smith could work at RB, but I'm a fan of a settled back four, so lets stick with Wardrop.

I think there's a fair bit of mileage in your thinking although I 'm not sure whether Callum Gallagher has the physical presence to do much up front, especially on his own. Perhaps a combination of him and Ally Roy as a pairing might be worth a try.
In midfield would it be a possibility to pair Sam Wardrop with David Wilson? Sam has huge energy and seems happy to drive forward from the back. This would allow for David Smith to slot in at right back giving him some game time in his best position.
I strongly suspect none of this will happen but it's always nice to surmise.

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've been having a wee think about things, and I reckon we'd be well placed to try something a bit different in this, firstly for a plan B, and secondly to avoid injuries to some of the big players. I wouldn't be averse to seeing us go with something like this.

Scott Gallacher

Sam Wardrop Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Chris McLaughlin

Tom Walsh David Wilson Kyle Hutton Chris Johnston/Ally Roy

Dimitris Froxylias

Calum Gallagher

I'd really rather we didn't risk Nade, even though he so influential to the way we play, with some big league games coming up. With Morrison out cup-tied, and Stewart pretty unable to play up front on his own (and injury prone) it'll give Calum Gallagher a chance to stake his claim in a more natural position. I don't think he really is a winger, but I reckon he has some of the assets to be a pretty handy forward. Chris Johnston hasn't been seen for months, so assuming he is still with us I'd like to see him brought back into the side. I actually thought he was coming onto a game towards the end of the LC run, however his confidence will probably be shot after so long without a game again. Then again Stevie could also go with Ally Roy - our star man of the early stages of the season - and a genuinely exciting guy to watch when he's running at guys. He doesn't seem to fancy him much though either, so no doubt Mark Stewart will end up on the wing...

In midfield I toyed with the idea of sticking Kyle Prior in, for two reasons A) The experience would do him good, and he looked decent enough in pre-season and B) He's not Kyle Hutton. Then I remembered how lightweight a David Wilson/Kyle Prior midfield looked against Ayr and thought otherwise. Plus, Hutton's only going to get better with gametime - eh? :unsure:

Tom Walsh seems to be a guy who needs plenty of games to heat up. He roasted Livi in the second half on Saturday (after a typically anonymous first) so let's hope he kicks on. The defence picks itself, and I've left Mango out altogether as a result of his injury record. It's too much of a risk. Wardrop or Smith could work at RB, but I'm a fan of a settled back four, so lets stick with Wardrop.

Thinking back to the second game at Somerset Park last season, I'd be pleasantly surprised if Gallagher turned out to be a success in that role. If we are looking to avoid the possibility of injury to a key player, I'd be resting Froxylias ahead of just about anyone else.

Looking forward to this. Friday night, tenner in etc.

I'd like to think we will win but with this being against our bogey team in our bogey competition I'm fearing the worst. We are in fairly decent form just now so fingers crossed.

Not against resting Nade and going with Stewart and Morrison. We need to keep the big man fresh for the league.

Archived