Fighters over the Trossachs

The DA

Any idea what I might have seen today?  A couple of dark-grey single-seater, single-propeller fighter-style planes flying low and fast over Loch Venacher.   They looked like they were practicing for an air-show.

Afraid I didn't get a picture but for those in Dunblane, it was the same aircraft that buzzed over yesterday afternoon.

They weren't Spitfires or Hurricanes but they might have been later-war stuff like a Tempest or a Typhoon.

Can't remember the name but saw a van painted up that made me google it.

Turns out there's a crowd from down south offering 30minute and upwards passenger flights in a Spitfire and another WW2 plane I can't remember the name of out of Cumbernauld Airport.

All great until you look at the prices. Think it was upwards of £5k for the basic 30minute shot...

19 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Mustangs had Merlin engines as well.

Yep, aware of that, Zen. It sounded too throaty for a Merlin - but I've listened to a few on Youtube since alta-pete posted and it's definitely a Merlin.  I just misremembered what a Merlin sounded like.  Getting old.

Yep, aware of that, Zen. It sounded too throaty for a Merlin - but I've listened to a few on Youtube since alta-pete posted and it's definitely a Merlin.  I just misremembered what a Merlin sounded like.  Getting old.

I was in Ardrishaig a couple of weeks ago and I heard what I thought to be the sound of a Merlin above me, bit cloudy so couldn't get a good view of the aircraft but it definitely had squared off wingtips and tail. It might have been a Mustang as mentioned by others.

300e794dc7b9a7ed5f69d8f11656e969.gif
8c9ebbd1112954629b60f312059139a2.jpg

Did it look anything like this ^^^?

Texan T-6B, the RAF are getting these to replace the Tucano advanced trainer. It's a popular aeroplane and regularly stages through Glasgow airport on delivery flights to other countries.

10 minutes ago, Black Dug said:

Texan T-6B, the RAF are getting these to replace the Tucano advanced trainer. It's a popular aeroplane and regularly stages through Glasgow airport on delivery flights to other countries.

Hard to say.  You'd have to be a real plane-spotter to recognise the differences side-on at 500 yards.  There were two of them, though and it looks like Cumbernauld only has one, The Shark.

220px-P51-d_mustang_472216_arp.jpg

The Texan is a turboprop trainer, what I saw and heard was definitely a piston engined aircraft.

On 29/09/2017 at 17:57, The DA said:

On 29/09/2017 at 17:33, Zen Archer said:

Mustangs had Merlin engines as well.

On 30/09/2017 at 09:11, budmiester1 said:

I was in Ardrishaig a couple of weeks ago and I heard what I thought to be the sound of a Merlin above me, bit cloudy so couldn't get a good view of the aircraft but it definitely had squared off wingtips and tail. It might have been a Mustang as mentioned by others.

^^^VLs^^^

Archived