Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I usually have only 3 beers on the Friday night so I’m left with 6 beers and a half bottle of red for the Saturday/Sunday so I’m only going over the limit 2 days a week and drinking responsibly on the Friday.

Tell that to your liver!

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

I usually have only 3 beers on the Friday night so I’m left with 6 beers and a half bottle of red for the Saturday/Sunday so I’m only going over the limit 2 days a week and drinking responsibly on the Friday.

That's tremendous restraint well done. Consuming 4x the recommended safe weekly limit in the space of two day screams "ready to be a father". 

40 minutes ago, throbber said:

Progress is progress though. Once the child comes I won’t be able to drink so much either so it’s best that I cut down gradually until then rather than going cold turkey months in advance.

I think you'll find it's sleep.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t follow all these medical guidelines word for word, I am still in good health. I don’t smoke, I have reduced my caffeine intake and get my 5 a day easily, even on the days I’m drinking. I also exercise every day through swimming running and playing 5’s so I’m not worried if there is one small guideline that I don’t quite satisfy. The safe drink limit is meaningless anyway and is merely just there for insurance purposes for when they privatise the NHS.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

It doesn’t matter if you don’t follow all these medical guidelines word for word, I am still in good health. I don’t smoke, I have reduced my caffeine intake and get my 5 a day easily, even on the days I’m drinking. I also exercise every day through swimming running and playing 5’s so I’m not worried if there is one small guideline that I don’t quite satisfy. The safe drink limit is meaningless anyway and is merely just there for insurance purposes for when they privatise the NHS.

Why Bud though?

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

I just like them, sometimes I have a few nice Kraft bottles of beer as well but I very much go for quantity over quality when drinking.

Is that the same folk who make the cheese slices?

On 29/09/2017 at 14:30, ICTChris said:

Cannabis is extremely boring and once you reach the advanced years that Pete and I are at people that smoke cannabis all the time are utter wasters.

On 29/09/2017 at 14:30, Sweet Pete said:

Absolutely agree. There's very little social aspect to it like there is with alcohol.

Missed this thread but couldn't disagree more with the above.  There's very little social aspect to it because you can't sit in a cafe and smoke weed together like you can do in pubs, but if it were legal (as it should be) then you'd see the social aspect. Doobies are designed to be passed and shared, how can it not be a social thing?  Some are wasters, granted, others are normal people with normal jobs leading normal lives. The latter being the more prevalent among the folk I know.  And the ones who are wasters would more than likely be wasters even if weed didn't exist.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Missed this thread but couldn't disagree more with the above.  There's very little social aspect to it because you can't sit in a cafe and smoke weed together like you can do in pubs, but if it were legal (as it should be) then you'd see the social aspect. Doobies are designed to be passed and shared, how can it not be a social thing?  Some are wasters, granted, others are normal people with normal jobs leading normal lives. The latter being the more prevalent among the folk I know.  And the ones who are wasters would more than likely be wasters even if weed didn't exist.

Shut up, you stinking, hippy stoner.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

I have been managing to abstain from alcohol Monday - Thursday of late and have limited myself to 15 cans of bud and a bottle of red wine to distribute throughout the weekend. Feel much better for it.

59 minutes ago, throbber said:

I just like them, sometimes I have a few nice Kraft bottles of beer as well but I very much go for quantity over quality when drinking.

Sommeliers throughout the land nod in approval. "Oui monsieur, you are quite right, the  Sotanum 2009 is not fit to be used to clean your drain. 15 cans of Budweiser is an excellent choice. You have exquisite taste and class Monsieur throbber."

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

In the post that was quoted he didn't, but fair enough then - 9 cans and a half bottle of wine isn't even close to being 4x the weekly recommended limit.*

*particularly as 9 cans of Budweiser equals 0.5 units.

Throbber's claim was that he "limits himself to 15 cans of budweiser and a bottle of red wine" consumed over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.