Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

Been trying to get fitter lately and lost a bit of weight due to a mix of having an active job and eating less shite, but noticed that the ale puts it right back on again and the day after a few beers I'm not worth a damn these days, even if I haven't had that much. Seems age has caught up with me and the days of having a skinfull and feeling fresh as a daisy the next morning are gone, so decided to knock it on the head completely for a bit and see if I can see some improvement in keeping the beer gut off.

I gave up smoking easily, but do enjoy a drink to relax after a busy week, but with two young kids I just can't face being hungover whilst running about after them.

Any other P&Bers ever given up the creature, or is quittin' just not your style?

I don't really drink much anymore, as I get older I can't really deal with hangovers and when you are working Monday to Friday I find writing off a day (or two depending on the severity) of the weekend for the sake of a night or day out isn't worth it. This is boring, Centrist Dad cliche but I'd rather go out for a nice meal and a few drinks than have a big session. Also, I've moved further out of the city so going out in town or Leith involves pissing about to get home.

As I get older I find drunk people intolerable as well. I'm looking forward to spending the next twenty years with 'building ships in bottles in my shed' as my primary social activity.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'd rather go out for a nice meal and a few drinks 

Say goodbye to this soon, unless you count a beer which barely gets drunk as you pick up discarded food around a highchair in a chain restaurant. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Pete, I work shift work as well as having two under the age of 4 so a hangover usually knocks me for about 3 days. I'll have a couple if I'm out, but thats about it. Not that big on drinking in the house tbh. 

I've lost 5 stone this year and I have so much energy I'm up at 5.30 most mornings now. Still like a few cans on a Friday/Saturday night but that's it, I'd rather have a coffee. Been on the vape this week, so ciggies are getting fucked right off next. I'm feeling mighty fine right now 

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't really drink much anymore, as I get older I can't really deal with hangovers and when you are working Monday to Friday I find writing off a day (or two depending on the severity) of the weekend for the sake of a night or day out isn't worth it. This is boring, Centrist Dad cliche but I'd rather go out for a nice meal and a few drinks than have a big session. Also, I've moved further out of the city so going out in town or Leith involves pissing about to get home.

As I get older I find drunk people intolerable as well. I'm looking forward to spending the next twenty years with 'building ships in bottles in my shed' as my primary social activity.

Who's going to empty the bottles for you?

Say goodbye to this soon, unless you count a beer which barely gets drunk as you pick up discarded food around a highchair in a chain restaurant. 
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Pete, I work shift work as well as having two under the age of 4 so a hangover usually knocks me for about 3 days. I'll have a couple if I'm out, but thats about it. Not that big on drinking in the house tbh. 

Oh aye, a flat, warm pint that takes two hours to drink while you chase a toddler round a carvery is as good as it gets. Mine are three months and three years, so recovery time is out of the question.

I don't get hangovers. The worst I ever feel is tired, as after drinking I think you are nearer to unconscious, than normal sleep. I've largely ignored my coeliac condition when drinking and only Best has any impact in terms of wind and shit. So, I'm not stopping. Since getting in to proper beer, discovering the joy of gin and nice wine I enjoy it too much.

For those who get hangovers, remember the words of Alfred Garnett. "I feel sorry for people that don't drink. They wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day. 

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't get hangovers. The worst I ever feel is tired, as after drinking I think you are nearer to unconscious, than normal sleep. I've largely ignored my coeliac condition when drinking and only Best has any impact in terms of wind and shit. So, I'm not stopping. Since getting in to proper beer, discovering the joy of gin and nice wine I enjoy it too much.

For those who get hangovers, remember the words of Alfred Garnett. "I feel so or for people that don't drink. They wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day. 

What a sad, pathetic post

Been trying to get fitter lately and lost a bit of weight due to a mix of having an active job and eating less shite, but noticed that the ale puts it right back on again and the day after a few beers I'm not worth a damn these days, even if I haven't had that much. Seems age has caught up with me and the days of having a skinfull and feeling fresh as a daisy the next morning are gone, so decided to knock it on the head completely for a bit and see if I can see some improvement in keeping the beer gut off.

I gave up smoking easily, but do enjoy a drink to relax after a busy week, but with two young kids I just can't face being hungover whilst running about after them.

Any other P&Bers ever given up the creature, or is quittin' just not your style?

Don't think I will ever be able to quit but previously I'd get 8 cans of cheap lager for a Friday night to Saturday lunchtime and maybe another 8 for Saturday night/Sunday. Wouldn't really be drunk but just unable to drive.
Nowadays I maybe have 2 bottles of more expensive ales on Friday and 2 or 3 of the same on Saturday and just enjoy them a bit more instead of swigging away. none on Sunday.
Lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks now [emoji5]

Quitting is pointless. Its seven days of meh when you are off the drink.

5 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Don't think I will ever be able to quit but previously I'd get 8 cans of cheap lager for a Friday night to Saturday lunchtime and maybe another 8 for Saturday night/Sunday. Wouldn't really be drunk but just unable to drive.
Nowadays I maybe have 2 bottles of more expensive ales on Friday and 2 or 3 of the same on Saturday and just enjoy them a bit more instead of swigging away. none on Sunday.
Lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks now emoji5.png

Quitting is pointless. Its seven days of meh when you are off the drink.

DA Baracus will be on to give you terrible row, you sad individual.

I could give up alcohol fairly easily, I think, were it not for the fact I fucking love a beer.

I'll drink other things if I'm having a mad one, but other than the occasional whisky I'd never miss most alcoholic drinks.

Nothing better than a cold beer after a long day of work though. If they could make non-alcoholic beer taste like the real thing I'd have no problem being aff it, but until then there's no chance!

I've tried in the last few weeks to cut back, I was hitting it fairly hard, and have been doing OK actually. Had a week off it a couple of weeks ago and went out shopping on the Sunday and went for two pints and a burger, and enjoyed it more than I would normally have had I been in the boozer with my friends having eight pints.

Bit of a pain in the arse when you're not drinking and others are though. I had a few folk round my house a couple of weeks ago and, having been out hillwalking all day, I was knackered, and my friends were chatting utter shite once they had a bevvy in them. By half ten I wanted my bed, but think it was about 3am before the stragglers left. That's the downside, without doubt.