Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

I just did the maths, and I’m somewhere north of 8,000 days without “drinking”. There’s a day or two in there early on where I sipped a single beer, but it’s still a hell of a length now that I think of it.

Was I a problem drinker, absolutely. I drank and I drove, stupidly, and thankfully never had an accident or hit anyone/thing…but it took several brushes with the police before I accepted I had an issue. Even then, after realizing, I couldn’t just stop, just slowed down a bit, and over time I realized I was drinking for societal acceptance, not for enjoyment or pleasure. I’ve also had the experience of watching alcohol destroy someone I loved, and it was during this time I had an occasional single beer to “fit in”…hell, I didn’t even finish them.

That experience certainly helped put me on the straight and narrow, and while I believe I could have a drink without an issue, I really feel no need to prove or disprove it. I guess this is what a “normal” person feels about alcohol, and it’s a strange feeling. However, I certainly don’t miss the throwing up, headaches and and pissing the bed!

51 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

4months sober as of yesterday.

Congrats mate, I've fell off wagon the last few months and been drinking as much as I used to, drinking everyday after being sober for 4 years, me being smart guy thinking I'm OK to control my drinking now. 

Was at GP yesterday and he suggested I cut my drinking down gradually and dont go cold turkey , so I don't have seizure or get jaundice like happened last time I stopped, that I ended up in hospital, don't know how this will work because once I have say 2 cabn I get taste for it so to speak and don't stop 

#tldr drink and me don't mix. Wish I never got addicted to the stuff 

#edit I know people be reading this thinking,  he ended ln hospital after seizures, jaundice etc before, why the fcuk he drink again, can't explain that, just you forget about that and think how good alcohol is 

Edited by Amarillo Bairn

4 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Congrats mate, I've fell off wagon the last few months and been drinking as much as I used to, drinking everyday after being sober for 4 years, me being smart guy thinking I'm OK to control my drinking now. 

Was at GP yesterday and he suggested I cut my drinking down gradually and dont go cold turkey , so I don't have seizure or get jaundice like happened last time I stopped, that I ended up in hospital, don't know how this will work because once I have say 2 cabn I get taste for it so to speak and don't stop 

The first day is always difficult, and for some every day is the first day. Regardless, you can did, you have done it before, you will do it and go forward. You know the problem, you’ve identified the issue, and you know the answer…you’re ahead of the game. Stay strong.

2 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

#edit I know people be reading this thinking,  he ended ln hospital after seizures, jaundice etc before, why the fcuk he drink again, can't explain that, just you forget about that and think how good alcohol is 

Oh, I completely understand my friend.

”Just stop”, “Just cut down”, as if.

In my experience this is the definition of the craving. It’s not “craving” the first one, it’s the fact that as soon as the alcohol hits your system you’re not going to stop until…..whatever outcome.

I have had several periods of recovery, several periods of abstinence, but nothing permanent.

Today, I have 22:38 so far today, as have all the guys/girls with 1day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 10 years and beyond.

I am sober today, I cannot ask for more

Edited by Raidernation

7 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

A common story, exact same happened to my father. Stopped drinking for a good year or so but even when not drinking he'd still go to the pub and drink soft drinks just for the social aspect (being forced into early retirement gave his days no real direction) eventually he convinced himself he could have a few at the weekend like a "normal" person, gradually he slipped into his old habits again. 

He went into hospital in 2014 in a final attempt to come off the drink but unfortunately never made it out.

My heart goes out to every single person here struggling and even though I've witnessed it first hand, I've had my own struggles with booze. Stay strong guys 

• 1 month later...

That's 26 weeks, half a year. Last drink was Monday the 6th Feb. Never stopped for that long before. It was good to stop as I could do stuff that I would not have done if drinking as normal (daily) but...

Off on holiday tomorrow so I'll be having a few when I'm away. Going to feel a bit weird having my first and I will be thinking about the slippery slope. Don't want to go back to two day hangovers. I know what I'm like when I get a taste for it but I will try again, all things in moderation. 

On 09/06/2023 at 07:45, Bert Raccoon said:

A common story, exact same happened to my father. Stopped drinking for a good year or so but even when not drinking he'd still go to the pub and drink soft drinks just for the social aspect (being forced into early retirement gave his days no real direction) eventually he convinced himself he could have a few at the weekend like a "normal" person, gradually he slipped into his old habits again

He went into hospital in 2014 in a final attempt to come off the drink but unfortunately never made it out.

My heart goes out to every single person here struggling and even though I've witnessed it first hand, I've had my own struggles with booze. Stay strong guys 

That's pretty much what happened to me everytime I "fell off the wagon". It may well start off as "a few", but "a few" would never be enough and the old drinking patterns and behaviours would re-emerge.

I'm six and a half years off the drink now. There's no way I would ever go back.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

That's pretty much what happened to me everytime I "fell off the wagon". It may well start off as "a few", but "a few" would never be enough and the old drinking patterns and behaviours would re-emerge.

I'm six and a half years off the drink now. There's no way I would ever go back.

To me a "couple of drinks" was 6, and a "few" was a dozen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One year today. 

Not convinced i was ever an alcoholic as such. More that i'd just get into the habit of drinking unhealthy amounts over again. 

Managed a fair few years of only drinking at weekends but was back up to a bottle of wine + a couple of beers and a large whisky nightcap on a Tuesday by last year. And it was like that most nights. It just bored me and made functioning how i'd like to more difficult. 

As one of many changes i've made kicking the booze has contributed to much better physical health and being in a much better place mentally. Quite like being sober all the time. 

Hardly a milestone worthy of fireworks, but today marks Day 11 of a cold turkey break.  Intending on getting to 22, although with no intention of giving up fully.

Realised that a couple of beers had become a daily habit (often with a large dram) that had been going on for a couple of months. This was made worse by daily evenings in the pub and hoose parties on recent mini-holiday trips away.

Replaced it with some 0.0% 330ml bottles for midweek, but I'm finding myself drinking 4 or 5 bottles of the six pack on a midweek night.  I think it's the cold fizz refreshment that I crave, but cheaper fizzy water out the fridge doesn't seem to hit the spot.  My will-power is pathetic (hence why I've never tried any form of recreational drug).

I do ad hoc offshore work which normally gives the liver a sudden rest for a while, and I don't miss it at all when I'm away from home.  That's quite comforting knowing that it's a habit and not a dependence.  However, there's a pause in that type of work for me just now which hasn't given me that forced halt, hence the self-enforced ban.

#halfwaythere

Edited by Hedgecutter

The last drink i had was on Sunday coming home from holidays. I bought a bottle of wine in the airport. I didnt want my wife to think i was drinking so i went into the toilet and pushed in the cork with my toothbrush and filled a bottle of coke and necked the rest.

It all seemed a bit pathetic but i hate flying so it took the edge off.

Im going to stop for a while now. The problem is i really like a few drinks. I feel no better when off it if anything i feel like something is missing.

Hoping to find some kind of benefit this time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...