Mattress dilemma

HI HAT

Wife and I have decided it's time for a new mattress, I'm quite happy to have another "old fashioned "spring one but the good lady wife has been speaking to her mates and she thinks a memory foam mattress is the way to go. And P+B ers got any experience of memory foam mattresses good or bad ? Or am I right to hold out for the spring version ? Help needed to make my mind up. Ta

I'd go traditional spring with a memory foam topper, its what i'm using at the moment and its great. Had this mattress for a year now and i'm a fat lad who according to exes tends to move about a lot at night while i'm asleep, but it hasn't lost any its shape yet. 

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Can't remember what manufacturer made it, but we blew a grand on a memory foam mattress back in 2004 or so, largely because springs were causing the wife a lot of pain in her joints. She's only just started having problems again because it's due to be replaced, but it's easily been the most comfortable bed I've slept on. I can remember having to adopt some new strategies for getting up, though, as you really do sink right into the damned things. It can be like pulling yourself out of quicksand until you get used to it.

Maybe take yourselves to a showroom and try a few out to see if you think it's worth spending the extra money. The more expensive ones used to let you do in-home trials too.

Edit: @welshbairn - can't say I've ever had the problem of a mattress causing my wobbly, hair-covered bottom becoming overtly slick with pungent skin moisture, so I'm happy to say that I won't have to subject you to that mental image. You're welcome.

Edit 2: Tempur. It's a Tempur mattress, for whatever that's worth.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Wife and I have decided it's time for a new mattress, I'm quite happy to have another "old fashioned "spring one but the good lady wife has been speaking to her mates and she thinks a memory foam mattress is the way to go. And P+B ers got any experience of memory foam mattresses good or bad ? Or am I right to hold out for the spring version ? Help needed to make my mind up. Ta

Probably be able to pick up one over on the gypsy thread.
Go with a spring mattress with a topper. Perfect.

Excellent topic Hi Hat and it's a subject that affects us on a daily basis.  It's vital we get things right.    

These are my default settings:  

Mattress - Firm, pocket strung.  

Quilt- Yes, change the day the clocks change.   BST - 5 Togg.   GMT - 12 togg.  

Pillows - 2.  Duck feather and down.   

Pillowcases - matching and dark in colour

Headboard - A must, Wooden.   

Excellent topic Hi Hat and it's a subject that affects us on a daily basis.  It's vital we get things right.    

These are my default settings:  

Mattress - Firm, pocket strung.  

Quilt- Yes, change the day the clocks change.   BST - 5 Togg.   GMT - 12 togg.  

Pillows - 2.  Duck feather and down.   

Pillowcases - matching and dark in colour

Headboard - A must, Wooden.   

Interesting. I recently downgraded from 2 pillows to 1. This seems to have done wonders for my cervical spine and vertebrate placement. As a result my fibromyalgia has all but cleared up.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Interesting. I recently downgraded from 2 pillows to 1. This seems to have done wonders for my cervical spine and vertebrate placement. As a result my fibroglymia has all but cleared up.

That should certainly help the spine and back alignment.    Even in my late 70's I have good or very good spine alignment.   But I attribute that to my Gleneagles golf membership.   

Is a headboard useful for anything other than banging against the wall when you want the neighbours to know you're being rattled?

I presume nobody's ever decided that they need a stout piece of wood at the head of their bed in order to stop themselves sliding off somehow.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

And lack of cycling no doubt

Cycling is bad for the back,  testicles, prostrate etc.   But I have no problem with static exercise bikes.   I believe you can buy them in Argos.  

Is a headboard useful for anything other than banging against the wall when you want the neighbours to know you're being rattled?
I presume nobody's ever decided that they need a stout piece of wood at the head of their bed in order to stop themselves sliding off somehow.

The size of a headboard is a status symbol. It's a bit like having a large cock

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It determines the top of the bed.   Let's paint a picture BigFatTabbyDave you've had a wee day out in Alloa,  the wasps have been pumped by the Binos.   You head home with a few cans and watch some Benidorm and then access your bed.   You cannot decide where your head should rest because you have Clackmannanshire levels of intellect.    That's my point BigFatTabbyDave.