Players coming through

football maniac

1 minute ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I don't "despise" those English players who realise they are not good enough  for their own country, rather I despise a Scotland manager who decides to ignore Scots in favour of others with Scots ancestors. Knowing full well that its purely to try and further their football career and not some "patriotic" duty.

Luckily, the manager's job is to pick the best squad he believes he has available, not pander to xenophobic zoomers who can't accept eligibility rules.  Not sure you can blanket say the bolded part either.  I put a long post up a while back (that you completely avoided) about the dirty turncoats you hate (because you clearly do), and just from a quick wikipedia search, there were a couple that definitely fit that bill.  But there were also some surprising ones who didn't at all.  Who represented us through youth levels over England.  Who actively decided against interest from England early in their careers.  But aye, b*****ds the lot of them.

And, once again, the reason he "ignores" these Scots is because they're not as good as the completely eligible players you deride so often.  I asked you to provide examples that disagreed with that, and once again you dingied it.  Care to try again?

5 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Just as a matter of interest, would Forameus  (assuming he is Scottish) be happy to play for England ?

Well I would certainly be eligible, 50/50 on parents' side through birth and 75/25 on Grandparents' side.  I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make though.  I was born here, and despite my English father I would obviously choose to play for Scotland.  But then maybe if I was good enough to be in that position, I'd be a complete dick choosing furthering my football career, so I would choose England cos they're well better innit.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/9/2017 at 22:57, LiviLion said:

Read something ages ago about his dad trying to convince him to play for Scotland but he was having none of it and wants to stick with England instead.

Was the other way around.  Bryan was trying to get him to play for England.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:18, forameus said:

Luckily, the manager's job is to pick the best squad he believes he has available, not pander to xenophobic zoomers who can't accept eligibility rules.  Not sure you can blanket say the bolded part either.  I put a long post up a while back (that you completely avoided) about the dirty turncoats you hate (because you clearly do), and just from a quick wikipedia search, there were a couple that definitely fit that bill.  But there were also some surprising ones who didn't at all.  Who represented us through youth levels over England.  Who actively decided against interest from England early in their careers.  But aye, b*****ds the lot of them.

And, once again, the reason he "ignores" these Scots is because they're not as good as the completely eligible players you deride so often.  I asked you to provide examples that disagreed with that, and once again you dingied it.  Care to try again?

Well I would certainly be eligible, 50/50 on parents' side through birth and 75/25 on Grandparents' side.  I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make though.  I was born here, and despite my English father I would obviously choose to play for Scotland.  But then maybe if I was good enough to be in that position, I'd be a complete dick choosing furthering my football career, so I would choose England cos they're well better innit.

I`m not in the least xenophobic, nor a "zoomer" . I don't hate turncoats, only pity them as its a poor show not only to blank your own country but then play for its biggest rivals. That's between them and their conscience I suppose. My point is , they shouldn't be considered in the first place and eligibility rules are only discretionary and needn't be used. This is my view and will never change. Whats  the point in a Scotland international team with non-Scots ? Please answer me that one ?

As for the non Scots being better, you are joking surely. Since going down that route, we have failed consistently in tournaments. I`m not saying thats the only reason but its surely more than a coincidence. We have about two dozen full time professional teams in this country, the vast majority of whom can expect to be ignored, regardless of how well they are playing, by (most recently) a manager living 500 miles away and making only the odd visit to see if the domestic game is still on the go. The paying public in this country want to see guys they watch and actually recognise, pulling on the dark blue jersey, not once in a lifetime visitors whom we have neither heard of nor can relate to. It may be acceptable to Ireland and Wales fans as their leagues are not comparable to ours, but we ought to reward our good players with international recognition.

I wasn't really questioning your nationality, assumed you were Scots anyway. BTW do you think Thistle could be in trouble ?

On 11/12/2017 at 16:28, forameus said:

Random thought...say, for a completely made-up example, we have a player Johnny Haggis who has a Scottish father, born in Scotland, but has grown up in England, and is one of those dirty turncoats that Blutes despises so much.  For the purposes of this example though, he feels he is Scottish.  He has a son who was born in England, but obviously qualifies for Scotland, despite having never lived here.  He plays for us at senior level.  Big Johnny then has a very public story come out that proves he's no Wee Johnny's pa, and it was actually a visiting Englishman.  

In this purely hypothetical case, would FIFA just shrug and say that he's represented Scotland once, so he's Scottish, or would they rule him ineligible now that he has no links to Scotland?  If it happened the other way around, and Johnny had been shagging around, and ended up siring a child who ended up being the complete opposite and was now eligible only for Scotland, would we have a claim to him?

Kind of like when Coach Bombay stole that kid off the better team because they redraw the county lines in Mighty Ducks.  These are the big questions.

See also Cascarino, Tony.

4 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I`m not in the least xenophobic, nor a "zoomer" . I don't hate turncoats, only pity them as its a poor show not only to blank your own country but then play for its biggest rivals. That's between them and their conscience I suppose. My point is , they shouldn't be considered in the first place and eligibility rules are only discretionary and needn't be used. This is my view and will never change. Whats  the point in a Scotland international team with non-Scots ? Please answer me that one ?

Because they're eligible, so from the point-of-view of the rules, and international football, they're Scottish.  Luckily it doesn't really matter if you believe the rules are "discretionary".  The rules are the rules, and I doubt there's much appetite to make ourselves actively worse just to satisfy xenophobes like you.

As for the non Scots being better, you are joking surely. Since going down that route, we have failed consistently in tournaments. I`m not saying thats the only reason but its surely more than a coincidence. We have about two dozen full time professional teams in this country, the vast majority of whom can expect to be ignored, regardless of how well they are playing, by (most recently) a manager living 500 miles away and making only the odd visit to see if the domestic game is still on the go. The paying public in this country want to see guys they watch and actually recognise, pulling on the dark blue jersey, not once in a lifetime visitors whom we have neither heard of nor can relate to. It may be acceptable to Ireland and Wales fans as their leagues are not comparable to ours, but we ought to reward our good players with international recognition.

And once again, zero examples given, along with the usual tired argument of "they've failed consistently ( in tournaments, no less.  Must've missed them qualifying to fail there).   Anyone that uses that argument seems to completely miss the obvious fact that if you replace these "failures" with worse players, then you're unlikely to change your fortunes.  It also conveniently forgets that teams like Northern Ireland and Wales have been "failures" for far, far longer than we have.  Now they're not.  Our players will be in that camp until they're not.  

May as well try a third time - you keep saying how we have better options - where are these better options?  Completely avoiding that and just warbling on about you being not able to recognise players (aye, it's hard with their English faces) or not able to relate to them (jeezo...)  doesn't really help your non-argument.

I wasn't really questioning your nationality, assumed you were Scots anyway. BTW do you think Thistle could be in trouble ?

All of this post is just a mish mash of absolute pish, but the bit in bold is especially brilliant. What in the name of f**k are you talking about? Fairly certain the "paying public" just want to see us qualify for a tournament. I'll bet if you ask 100 Scotland fans if they would rather see a team full of 100% Pyoor Scots failing to qualify for tournaments or a team full of non-Scots qualify, 90% would say the latter (and they'd be correct). If you haven't heard of the players that are being called up to the squad then it paints you as a bit of an ignoramus tbh.  Which players have been called up recently that you've thought "never heard of him"?

"nor can we relate to the players"? What? WHAT? How the f**k do you relate to any of them? Never in my life have I attended a game and thought "I don't like that number 7, I just can't relate to him". You're a complete mad man. Xenophobic mad man at that.

39 minutes ago, forameus said:

Because they're eligible, so from the point-of-view of the rules, and international football, they're Scottish.  Luckily it doesn't really matter if you believe the rules are "discretionary".  The rules are the rules, and I doubt there's much appetite to make ourselves actively worse just to satisfy xenophobes like you.

And once again, zero examples given, along with the usual tired argument of "they've failed consistently ( in tournaments, no less.  Must've missed them qualifying to fail there).   Anyone that uses that argument seems to completely miss the obvious fact that if you replace these "failures" with worse players, then you're unlikely to change your fortunes.  It also conveniently forgets that teams like Northern Ireland and Wales have been "failures" for far, far longer than we have.  Now they're not.  Our players will be in that camp until they're not.  

May as well try a third time - you keep saying how we have better options - where are these better options?  Completely avoiding that and just warbling on about you being not able to recognise players (aye, it's hard with their English faces) or not able to relate to them (jeezo...)  doesn't really help your non-argument.

You, sir are not worth arguing with. I find it outrageous you calling me xenophobic. I have never reduced myself to calling you names and don't intend to start. Probably best you ignore my posts and concentrate on watching your team slither down a division.

2 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

You, sir are not worth arguing with. I find it outrageous you calling me xenophobic. I have never reduced myself to calling you names and don't intend to start. Probably best you ignore my posts and concentrate on watching your team slither down a division.

:rolleyes:

You haven't once tried to put forward any arguments anyway.  Probably because you don't have anything beyond screaming "SCOTLAAAAAAAND" into your mirror.  

Maybe you should stop making wildly xenophobic posts then, mate.

Just a wee hint.

• 2 months later...

We now have McTominay at Man Utd, Charlie Gilmour at Arsenal and Billy Gilmour and Harvey St Clair at Chelsea who today was called up to the u21s. Encouraging we have players associated with such prestigious clubs. Robertson already doing great at Liverpool. McBurnie been banging them in for Barnsley. Very encouraged

4 hours ago, tartanbrush said:

Plus Ethan Hamilton at Man Utd and Ruben Sammut at Chelsea, don't really know what has happened to him seems to have fallen of the radar, hopefully still plays at a decent level

Neither included in recent under 19 or under 21 squads. Hamilton in particular is a surprise, given he’s been a regular in Man Utd’s under 23 side this term, is highly rated at Old Trafford and has made the bench for the first team in the FA Cup. 

Interesting article from the Scotsman in 2015 about Hamilton and his comparative lack of recognition by Scotland at various age groups. Seems to stem from him not signing for one of the major Scottish club academies and holding out for move down south. There’s no suggestion that he wants to play for (or indeed is eligible for) anyone other than Scotland, but we don’t half make life difficult for ourselves sometimes. 

After Mark Wotte, then SFA’s performance director, had seen Hamilton play in the 2012 Willie Bauld Memorial Cup Final, the youngster was one of four Hutchison Vale players called into Scott Booth’s under-15 squad. Sean McKirdy would go on to join Hearts and Regan Hendry signed for Celtic, but despite Wotte’s best efforts, Hamilton could not be persuaded to follow suit.

“But he was quite determined to go to an academy in England. He and his mother were very strong-minded. They knew exactly what they wanted. She wanted her son to finish school before he signed pro-youth. You have to respect that.”

After being selected for several Scotland squads, Ethan played no part in their 2013 Victory Shield success. Wotte says that he fell just short of the required standard. Thorburn claims that the SFA did not appreciate his refusal to leave Hutchison Vale.

His mother, Laurie, says it was Ethan who stepped back, fearful that too many commitments would affect his schoolwork. “He was sitting exams, he was having time away with United and he would have needed time away with Scotland. And we didn’t really know how they felt about Ethan. I don’t know if it was frowned upon that he was still at a boys club, but I do know it wasn’t right for Ethan at that time.”

Hamilton has never played for Scotland since, but there are no grudges. With Booth and Wotte now departed, Scot Gemmill is the SFA’s under-17s coach. One of his first priorities was to check with the Hamiltons that Ethan wanted to play for his country. “He would love to,” says Laurie. “It’s in his blood. It’s his country. There’s just no doubt about that whatsoever.”

Ethan Hamilton’s journey to Man Utd

• 2 weeks later...
I see Jack Aitchison bagged a brace for Scotland U19s as they beat Holland 2-0?
Got to be worth a bit of game time at Celtic  once they've wrapped up the league.

Seems like ages ago he scored on his debut! Can't believe he's still u19

27 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Got to be worth a bit of game time at Celtic  once they've wrapped up the league.

Nah, that will be when they give Charly Musonda the full 90 minutes, you know, that guy they brought in on loan who was too good for this league yet sits on the bench every week.

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

#ProjectBrave

• 1 month later...

Archived