Players coming through

football maniac

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was playing for the 19s against France the other day. I thought that he played well, as did Atchison of Celtic. Without being biased, I thought Callum Smith did not look out of place at all up against the French defence, although the guy from Dortmund was the best player on the park.

He was playing for the 19s against France the other day. I thought that he played well, as did Atchison of Celtic. Without being biased, I thought Callum Smith did not look out of place at all up against the French defence, although the guy from Dortmund was the best player on the park.

Watched the game as well and agree on both the points about Smith not looking out of place and the Dortmund centre half being the best player on the park. Looked like an accomplished professional in his peak against kids.

Ethan Erhahon of St Mirren and Daniel Mackay of Inverness both made their debuts this weekend at just 16. Erhahon played the full 90 while Mackay came off the bench and notched a goal aswell. Promising. Anyone know the story of Eberechi Eze of Queens Park Rangers on loan at Wycombe? Many sites have him down as Scottish but others say English while others say Nigeria. Certainly looks promising here with these 2 goals 

On 06/10/2017 at 08:03, RandomGuy. said:

Charlie Gilmour has pledged allegiance to Scotland, 19yo CM from Arsenal

He'll probably spend the next few seasons out on loan in the lower divisions. 

It's difficult, almost impossible, for young players at Arsenal to break through into the first-team.

In terms of who will break through, hopefully this year and certainly next year we should start to see if the SFA strategy review findings which were implemented in 2011/12 will have any impact. This year is the first year that we might expect the most important of these initiatives (in my view) to become visible - the Performance Schools. I see that there has been some discussion around Harry Cochrane, who is the first Performance School pupil to make a professional start in the league. Ethan Erahon is also a performance school pupil, and started for St Mirren in the cup.

I'd be interested to know if Hearts and St Mirren fans who saw either play think there is a noticeable difference in the quality of these boys versus previous years. There haven't been too many U16s that have broken into the first team of any Scottish club in recent years, so hopefully this already suggests that they are ahead of the curve in their development compared with previous years. My own view, based on watching Scottish International youth teams only, and a limited number of times, is that the technical ability of the performance school pupils is way ahead of previous youth international teams I have seen. Would anyone else agree or disagree with this?

2 hours ago, albagubrath said:

In terms of who will break through, hopefully this year and certainly next year we should start to see if the SFA strategy review findings which were implemented in 2011/12 will have any impact. This year is the first year that we might expect the most important of these initiatives (in my view) to become visible - the Performance Schools. I see that there has been some discussion around Harry Cochrane, who is the first Performance School pupil to make a professional start in the league. Ethan Erahon is also a performance school pupil, and started for St Mirren in the cup.

I'd be interested to know if Hearts and St Mirren fans who saw either play think there is a noticeable difference in the quality of these boys versus previous years. There haven't been too many U16s that have broken into the first team of any Scottish club in recent years, so hopefully this already suggests that they are ahead of the curve in their development compared with previous years. My own view, based on watching Scottish International youth teams only, and a limited number of times, is that the technical ability of the performance school pupils is way ahead of previous youth international teams I have seen. Would anyone else agree or disagree with this?

A lot of that comes down to the managers tactics, previous teams managed by Sragia and Gemmil were set up either as an up and at them 4-4-2 or with bizarre tactics and player played out of position all over the place. 

Sounds bit like the full team to be honest.

Dunno how many came through that system but the u16s that beat England n Uruguay played a good brand of football and were very well organised indeed. Back four m midfield were excellent, pressed well n kept ball on ground. Decent keeper n a threat up front too. Well worth a look on YouTube

4 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Also bear in mind Aberdeen gave Performance School pupil Dean Campbell a turn off the bench last season and in doung so became the youngest ever player to pull on the red. Ok not a start and not appeared this season but early promise none the less.

28 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Thanks.
Can you advise why you think the young laddy is pish? Or is it just because you’ve said so now. Chances are he won’t be a world beater but Spurs weren’t expecting much from Harry Kane so who knows what could happen.

I think he's pish because he is,  if he had the slightest bit about him he would have disappeared into a prem u23 team never to be seen again for a paltry 400k fee

10 hours ago, albagubrath said:

I do agree, the technique of the youth teams is undoubtedly better than previous years. I just hope they also have the determination that is required.

22 hours ago, Insaintee said:

A lot of that comes down to the managers tactics, previous teams managed by Sragia and Gemmil were set up either as an up and at them 4-4-2 or with bizarre tactics and player played out of position all over the place. 

Sounds bit like the full team to be honest.

I'd agree with you on Sbragia,  he  had his teams playing limited football and was pretty unsuccessful. I would also agree that was true of Billy Knox's teams (and at times frankly bizarre selections). I'm not sure that's an entirely fair accusation to throw at Gemmill though.  Gemmill, seemed to play a more modern brand of football with the 17s when he took over in 2014 and their 2014 tournament was the best ever for a Scottish 17s side (incidentally the best ever year for the 16s in European competition too). His 21s have apparently got a less developed style, although I'm yet to see much of them. I would hope that as his performance school pupils start to make it to that age group (the first batch of which could take up to 4 more years!) we will see the style change. I would hope they have put Gemmill into the job with that in mind.

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

I'd agree with you on Sbragia,  he  had his teams playing limited football and was pretty unsuccessful. I would also agree that was true of Billy Knox's teams (and at times frankly bizarre selections). I'm not sure that's an entirely fair accusation to throw at Gemmill though.  Gemmill, seemed to play a more modern brand of football with the 17s when he took over in 2014 and their 2014 tournament was the best ever for a Scottish 17s side (incidentally the best ever year for the 16s in European competition too). His 21s have apparently got a less developed style, although I'm yet to see much of them. I would hope that as his performance school pupils start to make it to that age group (the first batch of which could take up to 4 more years!) we will see the style change. I would hope they have put Gemmill into the job with that in mind.

image.jpg

Archived