Players coming through

football maniac

This thread aims to look at those who are just emerging or who are yet to emerge who could play a massive part in our future. Over the years we have seen various wonderkids not living up to the early hype such as Mark Burchill, John Fleck and Islam Feruz. Who do you think are our most promising players?

For me Kieran Tierney at just 20 has a massive future ahead of him. Hes already standing out at a top level and has proven his versatility by being effective across the entire backline. 

Harry Souttar who is the brother of John also looks to have a very bright future. He was on the Stoke City bench already last weekend in an EPL game so he must be impressing down their. I'm not convinced John could make it in the EPL so he might be even better.

Ross McCrorie at Rangers looks like he loves defending. How good would it be if we got some solid cbs coming through.

Billy Gilmour is already making a positive impact at Chelsea at youth level. Hes scored some quality goals already for them and if he keeps it up will have a very exciting future.

Dean Campbell at Aberdeen looked to have  great awareness when I saw him in a game and he featured last season against Celtic having just turned 16. 

Jai Quitongo at Morton didn't do much in his last game against us but then in the game he scored an absolute worldie and did a run which took out our team leading to another goal. These 2 things showed special talent.

Lewis Morgan at St Mirren looks absolutely class. His ability to beat players time and again and deliver good end product is seriously impressive.

The Dembeles Siriki and Karamoko both could be good. Havent seen Siriki yet but in various reports for Grimsby he has been described as a livewire. He burst on to the scene this season from nowhere. Karamoko could go either way. He has special skills but they can only get you so far. How he fills out will be key. 

Would be interested to know who others think are worth looking out for

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably your man Ralston at Celtic who for some reason Celtic don't want playing in the next under 21 games which has meant Ryan Williamson has been called up. If he could bulk up a bit and increase his positional awareness he could be a great attacking right back btw, maybe this call up will be the making of him. Morgan didn't do much for St Mirren at East End so I can't say if the hype is justified but the issue has always been converting good youth players into superb internationals. Dunfermline's other one to watch is Callum Smith. Pitched in unexpectedly in the BetFred and early league games, he didn't look out of place at all then scored 2 on his Scotland under 19 debut. West Brom and Bristol City are apparently already having a wee look. He has a chance of making it I'd say.

2nd vote for Callum Smith. Think the plan for this season was to ease him into the first team squad and maybe send him on loan but he has simply been too good for that. Gave ICT, Hearts and Falkirk a torrid time and produced some excellent assists as well as his goal threat. 

The most promising thing about the young players starting to come through now is that these are the same young players that have been qualifying for international tournaments at u17 and u19 level, obviously not every one of the guys in they squads have made it but guys like Tierney, McCrorie, and the Souttars have all played together at youth level for successful Scotland youth sides. Others on the fringes like Calvin Miller at Tony Ralston at Celtic have long looked like big prospects and its great Celtic are giving them a chance. I actually see more talent coming through now in Defence than Midfield and Attack, although the younger ones like as you say Billy Gilmour in Midfield and Glenn Middleton and Jack Aitchison in Attack might change that but right now our best prospects are still Kieran Tierney and Oliver Burke.

On a side note as a Pars fan its fantastic to see us have players in the Scotland Youth squads now, Ryan Williamson has improved dramatically this year but always had the potential tbh just very unlucky with the bad injuries he had. Calum Smith looks a great prospect and has done very well against top defenders like Christophe Berra at 17. We also have young Stuart Morrison who has had international recognition and Lewis Martin who was in the Scotland u19 a couple of years ago, although he his development has definitely stagnated. The good thing is we like many other clubs are giving youth a chance because the talent is there.

Going even younger the u16s looked very useful in the four team tourney over the summer (probably still on YouTube). Dembele stood out but it was very much a team effort and there was a heavy emphasis on keeping the ball on the ground. The skipper (Forrest I think) from Celtic looked a real prospect and the back four n keeper were all outstanding. They all looked genuinely athletic too with no reliance on a 'superstar' to win the game. If even half that side break through then they could form the basis of a tidy side (obviously lots of big its but we can hope)

14 hours ago, football maniac said:

The Dembeles Siriki and Karamoko both could be good. Havent seen Siriki yet but in various reports for Grimsby he has been described as a livewire. He burst on to the scene this season from nowhere. Karamoko could go either way. He has special skills but they can only get you so far. How he fills out will be key. 

I hadn't realised that Karamoko had a brother, seems both players are eligible to play for England, Scotland and Ivory Coast.  I would suspect if both or either end up any good they won't play for us but we can hope. Long way to go for both of them though, with Siriki having played for Dundee United and Ayr's academy and now at Grimsby you wonder if he'll ever reach the required standard and Karamoko is still far too young to be counting on.

Greg Taylor at Kilmarnock impressed in the Toulon tournament in the summer and has been decently solid for Kilmarnock from what I have seen last year and this year.  He's a LB so will probably never get into the Scotland squad due to too much competition but he still looks a decent prospect

14 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This guy seems to have been around for a few years now and has done fuk all. Does he even make the Malaga first team squad? In fact has he ever played senior first team football for any pro team.

Hasn't played for Malaga at all but was just promoted to the first team in the summer.  As far as I can see he played 26 minutes for Brighton U23's in the EFL Trophy last season and that was the biggest match he's featured in.

They lost 2-0 to Southend.

23 hours ago, football maniac said:

Charlie Gilmour who is in our latest u19 squad got on the bench for Arsenal tonight. That's got to be a good sign

Very highly rated player and another 1 who has jumped between England and and scotland unders. If he turns out a cracker he will pull on the white strip just like karamanko will

Allan Campbell has been outstanding for us over the tail end of last season and the beginning of this season.

For me he's been our best player and that's including Louis Moult.

Great energy, good in possession and hardly ever gives the ball away, excellent tackler who wins the ball 9 times out 10 and doesn't give away a foul.  Won't ever be a prolific scorer but he also attacks well and gets into scoring positions and has the stamina to get up and down the pitch all match.

The most impressive thing for me about him his is on field maturity.  He has 12 matches for Motherwell but if you watch him he looks like an experienced player with 200 games under his belt.  There's already been a couple of times when he's come on this season, took the game by the scruff of the neck and turned the game round, not bad for an 19 year old central midfielder.

Even if he only keeps his current form up he'll be a great player but if he can improve further he's going to be a star. 

Archived