Players coming through

football maniac

18 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

What's your verdict then Kenny?

Game and atmosphere was shite,  the 2 players in question well how to put it,  the young lads look manufactured all nice touches but both lack that extra something special that natural raw talent brings all bit meh for me. Of the 2 mctominay has the best chance for me and both could be doing with going on loan to championship club getting real game time.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s been excellent. Man of the match in about half the games he’s started, left sided midfielder with confidence and a deft wee trick.

Was totally anonymous tonight against saints, hardly had a kick thanks to the excellent defending of Aaron Comrie. Not for a minute do I think he'll make it either, but he's a young fullback who's getting better with each game and if argue has the right back slot at saints nailed down for a while tbh.

2 hours ago, Paco said:

Scott McTominay starting in the Champions League for Man United tonight. Anyone been watching?

Need to cap this guy asap. Could still turn out for England.

With Gauld, Burke, McKay, Mctominay and mcginn our future midfield is looking quite tasty!

Ciaran Dunne of Falkirk 17 made his full debut against us and was arguably the best player on the pitch. Was such a positive winger who had end product. We seem to have a lot of talented youngsters. Could this be the first signs of Mark Wottes influence? He implemented a number of changes and with these players coming through at an early age perhaps his plans are now coming to fruition. We got rid way to soon because of our tendancy to be impatient and expect quick results from a long term project.

Ciaran Dunne of Falkirk 17 made his full debut against us and was arguably the best player on the pitch. Was such a positive winger who had end product. We seem to have a lot of talented youngsters. Could this be the first signs of Mark Wottes influence? He implemented a number of changes and with these players coming through at an early age perhaps his plans are now coming to fruition. We got rid way to soon because of our tendancy to be impatient and expect quick results from a long term project.

Did wotte not quit? Certainly the u16s looked very promising over the summer but 16-22 seems to be an ongoing issue for us.

I chatted to Wotte for a hour or so a few years ago up at Hampden (on a press trip where the SFA were promoting their youth academy). I was impressed with what he had to say in terms of developing young players, and the whole programme was called something like 'Scotland 2020' because that was the year that they hoped to have their first players from academies picking up full caps. With that in mind, there is still a bit of time to go to see if we'll have success from it.

The good thing is that through the academies the players get hundreds of extra hours football / coaching a year in addition to training with their clubs, which should have an impact on their fitness, technique and confidence on the ball. The downside, which Wotte stressed, is that after 16, the players move onto clubs full time (assuming they win contracts) and then the crucial 16-20 period is entirely down to their clubs. The only contact Wotte and his team had would be during youth international get-togethers, so there is a huge responsibility for Scottish clubs to take the (hopefully better) product of the youth academies and develop them into future internationals.

21 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

We've always had decent young players, we've been to World and European finals after all - it's converting the early promise to full international level.

We haven't qualified for a European under-21 tournament since 1996.

We've qualified for one European under-19 tournament since 1986. (2007, when we reached the final.)

We haven't qualified for any of the World tournaments since 2007.

54 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Under 19s were runners up at the Euros in 2006, the Under 17s got to the semi finals of the Euros in 2014. I'm not saying we're in a golden age and also I was more thinking about those finals and semis a few years back so it wasn't factually inaccurate.

For a long time the results at youth level were absolutely dire, apart from that one (fluke?) run by the U19s in 2006, if you compare it with the results in the 70s, 80s and even the 90s. Eg the U18s (now known as U19) won a Euros in the early 80s and the U21s reached semis in 1992 and 1996. It's not a coincidence that our results at senior level declined a few years after we stopped performing well in youth tournaments.

Hopefully that is starting to turn improve now, as the recent results for the U17s have been more promising. Qualified for the last four Euros and reached the semis once, as you said.

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Papers reporting this morning that McTominay knocked back a call up this month as he is still waiting to see if England will come calling

I suppose he's thinking that if he gets  a run in the Man U first team he might make it into an England squad. I can understand it from a career point of view. I'm not arsed about where players are born or any of that, but it kind of sours the idea of capping him if we know from the outset that he is either more interested in playing for England or is purely mercenary. 

Archived