Ayrshire Aces -V- Methill Minks

On the back of 2 good victories our lack of consistency reared its ugly head today again. Always going to be hard for part time teams to compete with full time teams but our 2 attempts so far have been abysmal. Just have to take it on the chin and put it down to a bad day at the office. As we head to the end of the first quarter a win at home to Albion Rovers in a fortnight will keep us well in touch with a play of position.  With a lot of young inexperienced players in our squad we really need Kevin Smith and Kyle Wilkie back playing hopefully with no league game for 2 weeks  we will see the injury list clear up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd goal is lovely. Higgins with some classy defending to start it off - almost every centre half we have had in the last decade (except Peter Murphy) would have had that up in the hospitality suite somewhere. Nice ball from Boyle, great awareness Shankland, and a cracking finish Geggan. Love it.

2 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

An expected defeat! No consistency whatsoever and we've been soundly pumped from both ft teams. 2 week break and hopefully we can bounce back against an Albion side who have had a great start to the season.

We hammered Albion on the scorecard, I'm still fancying them for top 4 as they showed qualities that aren't usually prevalent in this division, underestimate them at your pearl.

We hammered Albion on the scorecard, I'm still fancying them for top 4 as they showed qualities that aren't usually prevalent in this division, underestimate them at your pearl.

It's East Fife, we can't underestimate anyone! An impressive result for Albion Yesterday will give them a huge confidence boost and I'm under no illusions, this will be a very tough game. ????

Cant deny ayr deserved the victory but we need to stop giving teams goals, fell asleep and allowed a short corner at the first goal but even then the finish was hardly a rocket it bobbled past the keeper, yhe second was a good move and a great finish and for the 3rd sleeping at a short corner again, red card was very harsh, we dont look like scoring though 3 of the last 4 have been penalties got to get 2 men up front, tbh not sure young is the right man for the job, i have never heard him shouting in any game this season just shakes his head snd folds his arms, its got to improve or its time for a change

3 minutes ago, Pat 1958 said:

Cant deny ayr deserved the victory but we need to stop giving teams goals, fell asleep and allowed a short corner at the first goal but even then the finish was hardly a rocket it bobbled past the keeper, yhe second was a good move and a great finish and for the 3rd sleeping at a short corner again, red card was very harsh, we dont look like scoring though 3 of the last 4 have been penalties got to get 2 men up front, tbh not sure young is the right man for the job, i have never heard him shouting in any game this season just shakes his head snd folds his arms, its got to improve or its time for a change

Can't agree, he went in high with his studs showing, fair enough, it was the movement of his foot once raised that makes it a red for me.

Away am a fife fan, and adunno where your getting a soft red card from ? Page was lucky not to do a weekender for assault.

4 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Little chance of underestimating anyone. I thought our problem yesterday was overestimating Ayr. I think everyone expected a tough game but Ayr were only one point ahead of us going into the game and (I think) only picked up one point in their previous two home games! But we go in with an ultra-defensive line up and look like it's our intention to play for a 0-0 as if it was the Nou Camp we were going to. It was always just going to invite a huge amount of pressure and that's exactly what happened with the game plan going out the window after 7 minutes.

Ayr have shown they're vulnerable at the back but we were never really going to test them with a 5-4-1 with only one attacking player in midfield and Duggan all on his own up front. I don't understand why we moved away from the line up that got us two wins and two clean sheets in a row. I can accept keeping things a bit tighter but we gave Ayr abslutely nothing to worry about yesterday and just let them come at us. As soon as they scored, that was pretty much it.

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Little chance of underestimating anyone. I thought our problem yesterday was overestimating Ayr. I think everyone expected a tough game but Ayr were only one point ahead of us going into the game and (I think) only picked up one point in their previous two home games! But we go in with an ultra-defensive line up and look like it's our intention to play for a 0-0 as if it was the Nou Camp we were going to. It was always just going to invite a huge amount of pressure and that's exactly what happened with the game plan going out the window after 7 minutes.

Ayr have shown they're vulnerable at the back but we were never really going to test them with a 5-4-1 with only one attacking player in midfield and Duggan all on his own up front. I don't understand why we moved away from the line up that got us two wins and two clean sheets in a row. I can accept keeping things a bit tighter but we gave Ayr abslutely nothing to worry about yesterday and just let them come at us. As soon as they scored, that was pretty much it.

In all honesty, setting up like that at Somerset is the way to go, we tend to run out of ideas quickly if we're getting no joy in the scoring stakes, a fast break in numbers when you get the chance and pack the defence quickly when we've got the ball, open up once we've ran out of ideas.

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

In all honesty, setting up like that at Somerset is the way to go, we tend to run out of ideas quickly if we're getting no joy in the scoring stakes, a fast break in numbers when you get the chance and pack the defence quickly when we've got the ball, open up once we've ran out of ideas.

I absolutely wouldn't have minded playing a counter attacking game - that would have made sense. But yesterday was overkill. How were we supposed to hit on the break when we've only got two players who are primarily attackers on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I absolutely wouldn't have minded playing a counter attacking game - that would have made sense. But yesterday was overkill. How were we supposed to hit on the break when we've only got two players who are primarily attackers on the pitch.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend si can't really comment on how either team set up or played.

If anybody watched the game against forfar last week their centre half cleared the ball in their box and then raked his studs down mutch's chest, no pen no yellow card, consistancy is all we ask, pagey didn't go to deliberately do the player so its not a red for me, and when the opposition manager says its harsh its worth an appeal I would suggest

If anybody watched the game against forfar last week their centre half cleared the ball in their box and then raked his studs down mutch's chest, no pen no yellow card, consistancy is all we ask, pagey didn't go to deliberately do the player so its not a red for me, and when the opposition manager says its harsh its worth an appeal I would suggest

Appeal would fail, by the current rules it is a definite red. I appreciate he didn't mean it but if you raise your studs and make contact with an opponent then it's a straight red.

I don't think Page's challenge was a red, no malice, no intent whereas Docherty's challenge on Flanagan was two footed, off the ground, reckless & premeditated retribution for the previous challenge. Neither incident had a bearing on the result but another example of inconsistent officiating!

I don't think Page's challenge was a red, no malice, no intent whereas Docherty's challenge on Flanagan was two footed, off the ground, reckless & premeditated retribution for the previous challenge. Neither incident had a bearing on the result but another example of inconsistent officiating!

Total tosh

Doesn't matter if he meant it or not he put his foot up to win the ball and followed through hitting McDaid. It was studs up but he didn't mean it. Just a pretty stupid thing to do though. Red card all day long

Archived