British Football League Champions 1889 - 2017 - Alternative history

BACKOFTHENET

My mate used to use the Shoot soccer ladder tabs things for that.  His British Cup draws were phenomenal (unseeded of course). 
He also used to use the old Soccer Dice (which he recently found again at his Dads house) to play the QF, SF and finals.  He would sometimes use a desk lamp to pretend it was "under the lights".
He did't do it in his Aberdeen jammies though as that would just be sad and ridiculous. 

Magnificent! [emoji38]

This thread has brought back so many memories!

I used to lay out all the slips of Scottish team names from my subbuteo scoreboard on the floor in separate columns representing the league tables. Sometimes I'd do the 4x10 team league tables, sometimes I'd create my own league structure and sometimes I'd make a British league system.

I'd then drag my hand along the carpet from the top of the column to the bottom then drag it back up, whichever slip ended nearest the top of the now mixed up column won the league, 2nd top runners up and so on. Once I'd done this for all leagues I'd do promotion and relegation then repeat the whole process for a new season. Season upon season of excitement, thrills and spills and wouldn't you just know that Forfar somehow ended up in the premier league.

I'd make up cup draws using my subbuteo scoreboard teams too but had a different way of deciding the scores.

I used my casio stopwatch which I'd start then stop without looking at it. Whatever the two millisecond numbers were, the lowest number of these would be the number of goals scored.

However, if this gave an unrealistic figure such as Cowdenbeath scoring 8 at Parkhead I'd do it again. If it was unrealistic a 2nd time I'd repeat it but would then have to accept it the 3rd time. Made for some cracking cup ties.

Despite all of this sadness I never considered combining the two, imagine a team being able to celebrate the double in the Bedroom Football League.

I collected "powerpods" which you bought from tesco in 1's or 3's and came with chocolate. I's line them up on a football rug and use bingo balls as footballs! Even had wee goals but I can't remember how I came to get them. Still have the powerpods somewhere. 

22 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Did anybody ever play Subbuteo on their own? i.e. playing both teams turn about? If so were you inherently biased towards one side and how did you try to instill a bit of fairness? Also shooting in at a goalie who was basically helpless. A friend of mine had to grapple with these major issues.

I had a game called Chad Valley Soccer Stadium, which was a tinny fucking thing with the individual players  operated by triggers at the end of the table. A minute each way, I could play the whole Scottish Cup in a single rainy afternoon. A whole league season took longer, maybe a week

21df9d.jpg

3 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

i note that Rab's kept very quiet so far with this whole subbuteo thing

time for him to 'fess up...

:lol: ... I'm away to dig my old subbuteo stuff out I've got a few Liverpool teams from the early 90s. 

Ive been looking on eBay recently got my eye on building a stadium with floodlights etc much to the missus's delight :lol: 

The Pie And Bovril Cup 2017

FIRST ROUND

Arbroath 6 Montpellier 5

Raith Rovers 1 Kaizer Chiefs 2

Yeovil 2 North Korea 1

Scotland 1 Estonia 3

Seville 4 Hibernian 2

Qatar 2 Crawley Town 3

Cholera FC 1 Dysentery 2

Forres Mechanics 2 Spartans 0

QUARTER FINALS

Dysentery 5 Yeovil 0

Kaizer Chiefs 3 Estonia 5

Seville 0 Crawley Town 2

Forres Mechanics 1 Arbroath 0

SEMI FINALS

Crawley Town 2 Dysentery 4

Estonia 1 Forres Mechanics 5

FINAL

Forres Mechanics 2 Dysentery 5

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Have to say one of my favourite  subutteo teams was :

IMG_1538.thumb.JPG.0ef6a49a3d6fb15ec1bf377b9d4eb5ff.JPG

Still in the loft somewhere.

Being an old c**t I can tell you that these 3D plastic figures were known as ‘Continental’. They were the very latest and cost a bit extra.

My first set was about 1970 and the players were flat sort of celluloid things. You had to glue them into a slot on the base.