British Football League Champions 1889 - 2017 - Alternative history

BACKOFTHENET

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My mate used to use the Shoot soccer ladder tabs things for that.  His British Cup draws were phenomenal (unseeded of course). 

I used to do this as well and just use a dice for the games.  If a 6 came up it meant a 0.  Weirdly enough Cowdenbeath used to always do quite well :lol:

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

My pal would do this but you wouldn't know him, he lives around my grans way. I'm happy to act as go between.

Amazingly in the entire circa 500 times the Invergowrie Scottish Cup was contested Rangers never won once. Dundee didn't either but that's entirely consistent with real life.

Is your pal Barry?

Closest I came to these frankly concerning levels of weirdness was Scottish Cup draws for family-n-friends Subbuteo tournaments (paper slips in bag*).

One edition was abandoned not for WWII or rioting, but the ball firing off the diningroom table and down the back of a radiator.

*take note, SFA, we never screwed up a single draw either IIRC

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Closest I came to these frankly concerning levels of weirdness was Scottish Cup draws for family-n-friends Subbuteo tournaments (paper slips in bag*).

I wouldn't call any of this weird tbh. It at least shows a bit of creativity and imagination to amuse yourself.

There are definitely worse ways to spend your childhood than making up football leagues and match reports.

Did anybody ever play Subbuteo on their own? i.e. playing both teams turn about? If so were you inherently biased towards one side and how did you try to instill a bit of fairness? Also shooting in at a goalie who was basically helpless. A friend of mine had to grapple with these major issues.

11 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Did anybody ever play Subbuteo on their own? i.e. playing both teams turn about? If so were you inherently biased towards one side and how did you try to instill a bit of fairness? Also shooting in at a goalie who was basically helpless. A friend of mine had to grapple with these major issues.

Not Subbuteo but I used to play Lego Football myself. Remember Lego Football?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Sports-Championship-Challenge-3409/322930226734?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Dec2ad80829d04818b177cb2d2071d525%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D112685660568&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

21 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

see various mentions to the European Super League scattered about the place; fairness - during the long slog of a league season - was ensured by not changing ends at half time and home teams playing from right to left (I'm right-handed); i was also of the opinion that the proper balls were stupidly large, and therefore used a subbuteo cricket ball instead - about the size of a pea; this in turn meant that the goals had to be scaled down, or scores used to reach double figures in fairly short order; i can say in all honesty that neither Rovers, Hellas Verona or Meadowbank Thistle ever won the league - but occasional cup triumphs weren't entirely unknown...

i dont really see why your keeper would have been helpless - surely you could flick to shoot with one hand, and manipulate the goalkeeper with the other - unless you're quadraplegic other otherwise incapacitated ? this was probably key to the home/away balance - right handed shots against a left handed goalkeeper generally ended badly for the stalwart custoidans...

edit: a friend of mine stole my login to post this - the twat

Edited by Herman Hessian

15 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I wouldn't call any of this weird tbh. It at least shows a bit of creativity and imagination to amuse yourself.

There are definitely worse ways to spend your childhood than making up football leagues and match reports.

Oh, I agree, it was the more extreme examples I was meaning like the chap whose friend (aye...) conducted floodlit rounds of his dice rolling competition under a table lamp...

Btw talk of Subbuteo brings back memories of the wonder that was the Subbuteo team poster. Anyone else have one of these? In an age before the internet, and when all you heard of foreign leagues were occasional European games against British clubs, results list in the paper and national team finals tournaments on TV - it was a thing of awe. I only ever had the standard red and blue kits but even then you could be Iceland, Malta, Tunisia, Shelbourne or Japan, Caledonian Thistle, Cowdenbeath, Dundee, Queen of the South, Carlisle, Chesterfield, Limerick, Belenenses (that would have been especially exotic), Strasbourg, Molde, Valerengen or Viking Stavangar - I have the battered, torn, selotaped and patched-up relic before me now... Berwick double-up to no fewer than 11 other variedclubs.

Forfarshire Cup 2008/09 - Alternative History

It took me a few minutes to do this but it was well worth it.

As the Forfarshire cup wasn't completed in season 08/09, I have decided to settle this for once and for all.

Instead of the usual seven teams I have decided to add Kirriemuir Scottish Caledonian United in order to avoid any one team receiving an unfair advantage by getting a bye into the semi finals.

St Johnstone beat Forfar on penalties in the final after a boring 0-0 draw at a windswept Station Park.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Oh, I agree, it was the more extreme examples I was meaning like the chap whose friend (aye...) conducted floodlit rounds of his dice rolling competition under a table lamp...

Btw talk of Subbuteo brings back memories of the wonder that was the Subbuteo team poster. Anyone else have one of these? In an age before the internet, and when all you heard of foreign leagues were occasional European games against British clubs, results list in the paper and national team finals tournaments on TV - it was a thing of awe. I only ever had the standard red and blue kits but even then you could be Iceland, Malta, Tunisia, Shelbourne or Japan, Caledonian Thistle, Cowdenbeath, Dundee, Queen of the South, Carlisle, Chesterfield, Limerick, Belenenses (that would have been especially exotic), Strasbourg, Molde, Valerengen or Viking Stavangar - I have the battered, torn, selotaped and patched-up relic before me now... Berwick double-up to no fewer than 11 other variedclubs.

My mate (honestly this time) bought a Wales subbuteo rugby team plus a spare goalie which gave him 16 men so he had 5 spares in case of the inevitable player getting knelt on. They were all red so he usually played as Aberdeen or Liverpool.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Btw talk of Subbuteo brings back memories of the wonder that was the Subbuteo team poster. Anyone else have one of these? In an age before the internet, and when all you heard of foreign leagues were occasional European games against British clubs, results list in the paper and national team finals tournaments on TV - it was a thing of awe.

brilliant things - highlight of the summer holidays when the "new range" posters came out for the upcoming season

only two things ever came close to being as good as these - the britains farm catalogues, and the bartholomew football maps that had little pictures of the kits with arrows poiinting to the ground location, and a big panel down the side that had all the club badges and some brief details (name of the ground, nicknames maybe ?)

Edited by Herman Hessian

I had that when I was a kid (might still have it). every couple of days I would swap the players round to different positions and used different Lego figures so I had more teams.

Took me a few minutes but totally worth it.

Toffee Crisp European Supercup 2017

Round 1:

Glenafton Athletic 1 - 2 PSG (after extra time)

Bayer Leverkusen 4 - 3 Lazio

Middlesborough 2 - 5 Hamilton

Ayr United 2 - 0 Barcelona

Bayern Munich 2 - 1 Benfica

Rangers 0 - 2 FC Metz

Zenit St Petersburg 2 - 3 Peterhead

Peterborough 3 - 1 Auchinleck Talbot (aet)

Marseille 1 - 1 Troon FC (Troon win 4-2 on pens)

Juventus 2 - 0 Third Lanark

Legia Warsaw 5 - 1 Arsenal

Fenerbache 1 - 0 Edinburgh City

Rosenborg 2 - 2 Everton (Everton win 2-1 on penalties)

Macclesfield 1 - 3 Hertha Berlin

Cardiff City 2 - 1 Real Mallorca

Tenerife 1 - 4 Brechin City

Round 2:

Peterhead 1-1 Everton (Peterhead win 3-2 on penalties)

Cardiff City 6 - 3 Legia Warsaw

Troon 3 - 0 Juventus

Brechin City 1 - 0 Peterborough

FC Metz 1 - 3 Ayr United

Hertha Berlin 2 - 1 Fenerbache

PSG 2 - 3 Bayern Munich

Hamilton 2 - 0 Bayer Leverkusen

Quarter-Finals

Peterhead 2 - 3 Cardiff City

Bayern Munich 1 - 1 Troon (Troon win 5-4 on penalties)

Brechin City 0 - 2 Ayr United

Hamilton 1 - 2 Hertha Berlin

Semi-Finals

Troon 1 - 0 Ayr United

Hertha Berlin 2 - 4 Cardiff City 

FINAL

Troon 0 - 0 Cardiff City (Cardiff City win 3-2 on penalties)

Congratulations Cardiff City! Commiserations to Troon who defied all odds to eliminate European giants Marseille, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Ayr United on their way to the final.

8 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Did anyone ever play Subbuteo cricket?

A mate had it but it completely bamboozled me.

yup - had a school chum who adapted it for baseball too, was more suited to that, as it happens, as all the action was "in front" of the batter; the two-tier football grandstands also looked very much like some of the older ball parks, for added realism, if your mate happened to be the sort who was bothered about the levels of architectural accuracy involved....

Edited by Herman Hessian

i'm guessing that if anyone were ever to have been sufficiently close to the levels of autism required to feel compelled to have made the comparison (however unlikely that may be) that they would, for example, note the similarity between the old Tiger Stadium in Detroit and the aforementioned old-style Subbuteo grandstands - i've just done a cursory google search, and the likeness quite randomly occured to me...

tiger10957.jpg

oldstadium1.jpg

real pedants may also be drawn to note common features with the right field porch at the Texas Rangers (current) Ballpark in Arlington...

24 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

My mate (honestly this time) bought a Wales subbuteo rugby team plus a spare goalie which gave him 16 men so he had 5 spares in case of the inevitable player getting knelt on. They were all red so he usually played as Aberdeen or Liverpool.

There wasn't a Subbuteo stockist in our town which is probably why I never bought additional teams.

However my friend would often get brought a new team by his grandparents when they visited (which was weekly or at least seemed like it). He didn't even like football and I honestly cannot recall ever playing Subbuteo with him... I just remember their cupboard with its awe-inspiring stacks of "Lanerossi Vicenza", "Bodo-Glimt", and "Go Ahead Eagles/Greek Apollon". Presumably he'd lost interest after a while but his parents hadn't the heart to tell them to stop or similar - he wasn't allowed to lend them. He'd also an Astroturf pitch you wouldn't need to persuade your mum to iron.

Anyway in hindsight it seems this was an early education in the negatives and inequities of conspicuous consumption and the capitalist system.