The Wee "Will-we-qualify-probably-not" Thread: Nations League Edition

forameus

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Is there any set of results that could have us top the group ? Cant be arsed wlrking it out 

Since GD applies, not head-to-head... if we win both our games; England lose both theirs (H v Slovenia / A v Lithuania); plus GD swing of 9 to us; we'd win group, regardless of Slovakia v Malta.

EDIT: e.g. scores Scotland 3-0 Slovakia; Slovenia 0-2 Scotland; England 1-3 Slovenia; Lithuania 3-1 England would see us both finish on 20pts and +8 and we'd prevail by 1 GF.

Since GD applies, not head-to-head... if we win both our games; England lose both theirs (H v Slovenia / A v Lithuania); plus GD swing of 9 to us; we'd win group, regardless of Slovakia v Malta.

EDIT: e.g. scores Scotland 3-0 Slovakia; Slovenia 0-2 Scotland; England 1-3 Slovenia; Lithuania 3-1 England would see us both finish on 20pts and +8 and we'd prevail by 1 GF.

Is there any way to add a “Bet Now” button to the end of this?

There isn’t a hope in hell we’ll make the play-offs, never mind qualify for the tournament.

Beating two dreadful sides in Lithuania and Malta doesn’t mean we’ve turned the corner, despite the best efforts of Strachan’s media poodles who suggest otherwise.

I hope I’m wrong of course.

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

There isn’t a hope in hell we’ll make the play-offs, never mind qualify for the tournament.

Beating two dreadful sides in Lithuania and Malta doesn’t mean we’ve turned the corner, despite the best efforts of Strachan’s media poodles who suggest otherwise.

I hope I’m wrong of course.

Beating Malta and Lithuania isn't why we are being optimistic. Coming close to beating the auld enemy and beating Slovenia, our 2nd place rivals, is why we are hopeful. The last 2 results kept the momentum going. We now have what we severely lacked in the past - belief!

1 hour ago, forameus said:

So people are "crackpots" because they hope that their own country qualifies?

I hope Raith win the Scottish Cup this season but I would be a crackpot I if believed there was a realistic of it happening. 

8 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

I hope Raith win the Scottish Cup this season but I would be a crackpot I if believed there was a realistic of it happening. 

But you're talking about two completely different things.  I hope Scotland qualify far more than I believe they will.

It's not just you, but where does the need to take a shite on anyone who thinks they could do something come from?  Seems that those who believe they won't are absolutely desperate to tell everyone exactly why, and just how thick people are who don't agree.  They most likely won't qualify, but stand a better chance than in recent years.

16 minutes ago, forameus said:

But you're talking about two completely different things.  I hope Scotland qualify far more than I believe they will.

It's not just you, but where does the need to take a shite on anyone who thinks they could do something come from?  Seems that those who believe they won't are absolutely desperate to tell everyone exactly why, and just how thick people are who don't agree.  They most likely won't qualify, but stand a better chance than in recent years.

Because I have fallen for the 'we still have a chance'  pish too many times before. It leaves me dismayed that people still peddle this nonsense . Then when we do fail the same c***s will make it out to be some glorious failure. Strachan will still be manager and nothing will change. Then it will be  the same story again next time. 

Because I have fallen for the 'we still have a chance'  pish too many times before. It leaves me dismayed that people still peddle this nonsense . Then when we do fail the same c***s will make it out to be some glorious failure. Strachan will still be manager and nothing will change. Then it will be  the same story again next time. 

Absolutely this.

A couple of mid campaign wins get the feathered hat fannies pishing their pants that” wuv still goat a great chance”

We’ve no chance as long as that wee turd is in charge.

We're much more likely to fail to win tomorow than beating Slovenia IMO. Slovakia are the much better side of the two.

In regards the play offs if we were to get Portugal or Italy we stand no chance. Any other side we'd have around 40 (i.e. Sweden) to 60 percent (I.e Bosnia) chance to qualify I'd say. 

Absolutely this.

A couple of mid campaign wins get the feathered hat fannies pishing their pants that” wuv still goat a great chance”

We’ve no chance as long as that wee turd is in charge.

The truth is somewhere in the middle between that of those obscure people who seem to have a serious dislike of Scotland supporters and the "feathered hat fannies."

We have a chance - a decent one at that to make the play offs.

32 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

We're much more likely to fail to win tomorow than beating Slovenia IMO. Slovakia are the much better side of the two.

In regards the play offs if we were to get Portugal or Italy we stand no chance. Any other side we'd have around 40 (i.e. Sweden) to 60 percent (I.e Bosnia) chance to qualify I'd say. 

Two of them aren't likely to be in the playoffs.  Switzerland could well be in there instead of Portugal (although they do play each other on final day) and Bosnia are probably the side most likely to be the "unlikely 9th".  Northern Ireland and Wales would probably be our best options, even though both of them would probably go in as favourites to those particular ties.  Italy would be the nightmare, nuclear option, and would most certainly see us get absolutely pummelled.  Iceland/Croatia/Turkey/Ukraine could be an interesting one, although I imagine they'll be unseeded like us.  Someone put up a list of the likely seeds in one of the threads I think.

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Two of them aren't likely to be in the playoffs.  Switzerland could well be in there instead of Portugal (although they do play each other on final day) and Bosnia are probably the side most likely to be the "unlikely 9th".  Northern Ireland and Wales would probably be our best options, even though both of them would probably go in as favourites to those particular ties.  Italy would be the nightmare, nuclear option, and would most certainly see us get absolutely pummelled.  Iceland/Croatia/Turkey/Ukraine could be an interesting one, although I imagine they'll be unseeded like us.  Someone put up a list of the likely seeds in one of the threads I think.

Portugal are second with two games to go so are more likely to be in the play offs no? And I think the Wales/Ireland group is more likely to be the worst runners up tbh.

Portugal are second with two games to go so are more likely to be in the play offs no? And I think the Wales/Ireland group is more likely to be the worst runners up tbh.

They play Andorra while Switzerland play Hungary then they play each other on final day. By no means certain that Portugal will come out on top of that but a decent chance. Wales' group definitely could be the one but I think Bosnia have to beat Belgium to have hopes of getting a decent level of points if I remember right.

Archived