Scottish 2nd round draw

jimmyg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Wouldn't it be nice if it went back to being the Sunday afternoon after replays, at a Junior Social Club, allowing people to attend....

Not when there's a broom cupboard at a chip-wrapper booked, or a slot on some parochial mind-numbing commercial radio station...

7 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Wouldn't it be nice if it went back to being the Sunday afternoon after replays, at a Junior Social Club, allowing people to attend....

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

Not when there's a broom cupboard at a chip-wrapper booked, or a slot on some parochial mind-numbing commercial radio station...

Or some forward thinking clubs could get together and submit a proposal based around taking the draw for each round around the country (with the cup in tow) and into a local primary school within the locale of a Junior club for the draw.....instead of a Social Club where you won`t find any of the games future supporters..............or you could just leave it as it is and repeat the same complaints year on year...........

25 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

Or some forward thinking clubs could get together and submit a proposal based around taking the draw for each round around the country (with the cup in tow) and into a local primary school within the locale of a Junior club for the draw.....instead of a Social Club where you won`t find any of the games future supporters..............or you could just leave it as it is and repeat the same complaints year on year...........

Nice idea but I'm not sure a Junior Cup draw in a school is going to create any new supporters when giving free tickets to schools for local games hardly generates much interest.

Holding the second round draw in a social club on a Sunday afternoon as used to happen at least generates interest by allowing anyone to attend, and a bit of income to the club. Maybe even do something radical like stream the draw live on Facebook or YouTube.

39 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Nice idea but I'm not sure a Junior Cup draw in a school is going to create any new supporters when giving free tickets to schools for local games hardly generates much interest.

Holding the second round draw in a social club on a Sunday afternoon as used to happen at least generates interest by allowing anyone to attend, and a bit of income to the club. Maybe even do something radical like stream the draw live on Facebook or YouTube.

On it`s own it probably won`t, but as part of clubs actually connecting with the people within the communities that they sit in then it will. It needs to be an ongoing process and it needs to be worked at by the clubs..... the other benefit from being inclusive and interacting with the community like this is that it becomes attractive to different types of potential sponsors whose target demographic normally wouldn`t be associated with the Junior Cup............

Just now, GLESGABOY said:

On it`s own it probably won`t, but as part of clubs actually connecting with the people within the communities that they sit in then it will. It needs to be an ongoing process and it needs to be worked at by the clubs..... the other benefit from being inclusive and interacting with the community like this is that it becomes attractive to different types of potential sponsors whose target demographic normally wouldn`t be associated with the Junior Cup............

A lot of clubs already actively engage with their communities on a regular basis in various ways.  It's not a bad idea, but at the end of the day I think when we're only at the 2nd round draw stage which traditionally is the one everyone looks forward to, we go back to allowing as many Junior fans, players and officials as possible to attend. I've been to many (mostly) second rounds draws all over the place, Pollok, Newtongrange, Shotts, Whitburn, Camelon etc. It's a good afternoon out.

Latter rounds when interest in higher amongst those remaining clubs is maybe the time to take the cup round local schools.

35 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

A lot of clubs already actively engage with their communities on a regular basis in various ways.  It's not a bad idea, but at the end of the day I think when we're only at the 2nd round draw stage which traditionally is the one everyone looks forward to, we go back to allowing as many Junior fans, players and officials as possible to attend. I've been to many (mostly) second rounds draws all over the place, Pollok, Newtongrange, Shotts, Whitburn, Camelon etc. It's a good afternoon out.

Latter rounds when interest in higher amongst those remaining clubs is maybe the time to take the cup round local schools.

You generate interest at every opportunity and every round.. Road to the final etc and this also maximises the number of people exposed to the draw/cup etc and also maximises exposure for sponsors.

I`m sure it is a good afternoon out at the Social Club with lots of men of a similar age, booze and not a single chance of engaging with even one new supporter..............

From what I`ve seen there are actually very few clubs that engage with their local community in a meaningful and ongoing manner. I`m not talking about handing out free tickets but the physical act of engaging by whatever means are necessary to promote,develop and sustain a link/relationship

8 hours ago, GLESGABOY said:

You generate interest at every opportunity and every round.. Road to the final etc and this also maximises the number of people exposed to the draw/cup etc and also maximises exposure for sponsors.

I`m sure it is a good afternoon out at the Social Club with lots of men of a similar age, booze and not a single chance of engaging with even one new supporter..............

From what I`ve seen there are actually very few clubs that engage with their local community in a meaningful and ongoing manner. I`m not talking about handing out free tickets but the physical act of engaging by whatever means are necessary to promote,develop and sustain a link/relationship

You'd be wrong then, there are three of or four within a 10 mile radius of where I am who interact with their local community in various ways, you need to look harder.  Even SPFL clubs find it hard to sustain what you claim Junior clubs, often with small ageing committee's, should be doing, surviving is their main concern.  Great soundbites but reality is different. What does your club do out of interest?

We have a Junior Cup that doesn't even have a sponsor let alone anything else, therefore, for at least one round, it should engage with the lifeblood of the game who keep clubs going and who are often a member of the two men and a dug club. These people shouldn't be ignored either.

There's a lot wrong with the Junior game, there's also a lot of good going on, but tradition shouldn't be cast aside either, it's only a cup draw.....

I've said this before, but trying to generate interest with school age kids is difficult - sure, you can hand out all the free tickets you like, but the interest generated tends to be minimal and fleeting at best  It's one of those ideas that people tend to float every now and then thinking it's radical and forward-thinking, but most clubs have actually had a shot at doing already.

As I said the last time this came up, the real demographic the Junior game should be looking at attracting are the 20-35 age group who were previously lost to actually going to see games thanks to the advent of non-stop football on TV and the ridiculous price hikes at senior level.

They're out there, and they're the ones our clubs should be getting the word out to.

53 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I've said this before, but trying to generate interest with school age kids is difficult - sure, you can hand out all the free tickets you like, but the interest generated tends to be minimal and fleeting at best  It's one of those ideas that people tend to float every now and then thinking it's radical and forward-thinking, but most clubs have actually had a shot at doing already.

As I said the last time this came up, the real demographic the Junior game should be looking at attracting are the 20-35 age group who were previously lost to actually going to see games thanks to the advent of non-stop football on TV and the ridiculous price hikes at senior level.

They're out there, and they're the ones our clubs should be getting the word out to.

It's something that has been around for years, we started giving tickets to schools 20 years ago, it was a lot of time and effort for very little return.

You're right, going for that sort of age range who at the moment prefer to sit in the house and watch Soccer Saturday or who are fed up with the high price of SPFL football are the target market.  "Non League Day" in England has been very succesful in that area.

Archived