St Mirren V Brechin

The manager has some issues with Sutton. He's only going to use him as a last resort, as we seen today.

Although the wasn't involved in the goal, John definitely changed the dynamic of the game when he came on. Reilly wasn't having any joy at all.

John Sutton was involved in the winning goal. Stewart's cross went to front post and Sutto headered to Hilson to poke it home. All three subs were involved. Great changes from the gaffer.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brechin had a gameplan and stuck to it well today maybe ran out of steam after the 2nd goal. Not the worst performance I've seen by the opposition at the 2021 this season. Fans were a credit too. Felt we never really got out of first gear and were possibly fortunate to get 3 points today but 3 points delivered. Will take scrappy wins every week.

I also thought Sutton made a big contribution to the second goal. If nothing else he at least caused a bit of panic and made the goalie flap. Thought Kirkpatrick struggled and Todd was much better in that position the week before, but nobody has really made a claim for Magennis' spot during his absence. We will be much better with him in the team. 

I also thought Morgan had one of his worst games in ages, which is really fucking with Lex's "we only win because of Morgan and Jack Ross is shite" routine. Luckily Cammy Smith and McGinn were both excellent and those two were just about enough to drag us over the line against a Brechin team that were much better than I expected them to be.

For us, we haven't actually played well since the Dundee United game, but we've picked up 9 points out of 12 in that time, and are top of the league. I guess that could be considered a good sign! The next quarter will really show where we are when we have to play teams like Dundee United, Falkirk, QoS and ICT away from home. Away form just hasn't been up to much and it's being masked a wee bit by the fact we haven't played many yet. Dumbarton and Falkirk away next. 4-6 points out of that would be excellent.

8 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Yet the only time the ref told anyone to hurry up and get on with it was with your keeper with about 5 mins to go .    Strange that !  :rolleyes:

Yes I agree with you, I thought the ref was very biased in Brechin's favour too.

:thumsup2

7 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Once again we come away astounded that we took nothing from a game which was there for the taking.  Football is cruel sometimes.  Two momentary lapses in concentration cost us dearly with two very softly conceded goals. 

I thought we more than matched Saints up until the last quarter when we started to run out of momentum. That second goal basically knocking the stuffing out of us. 

Finn Graham was excellent again in the middle of the park , very composed and determined to win any 50/50 . I think he gets better with each game he plays.  Our shape going forward was impressive too with Orsi and MacLennan putting in a power of work.  Orsi looked knackered when he went off but Ally Love was a very able replacement with arguably his best performance of the season so far. 

So many positives to take out of the game but unfortunately the ref and lino seemed determined not to see the "professional" pulling of jerseys and strangleholds at virtually every set piece we had.  I lost count of the times a Brechin player was literally thrown to the ground.  This seems to be  the way to defend in the  higher leagues  and possibly the reason why we concede so many as we are not "professional " enough.   I wonder if the refs will be as lenient with us if we start manhandling as blatantly ? 

Too many " momentary lapses in concentration" , on saying that I am enjoying watching Brechin think they have stepped up well but as I think we all knew we are struggling to get results so far. Big miss is Andy Jackson, did I read he is going to be out for another 6-8 weeks ? now that is a nightmare

Def missing Jacko,can't hold the ball in final third.we also need to get more balls into the box so need to get down the channels then a wee bit quality to whip in a decent ball. No complaints tho boys are doing ok n hopefully will learn from game to game,a win could make the difference.

Are we missing Jacko (fantastic player work ethic one of the best I ve ever seen) ?
BUT !!! We re now playing too quicker attacking young lads and starting to show signs of promise Too many times Jacko s the lone striker having to chase down and win balls against 6ft plus defender s . I m not having a pop at Jacko probably more the tactics employed when he plays . Who would you drop ?
Off course I d have him back on a minute but I think we re making good progress with our style just now .
Hey am no manager just posting some thought s .

32 minutes ago, Tetragrammaton said:

I, 4-1 think Morton should play the skunks every week!

Aye you might not be sitting in mid table mediocrity if you did. Unfortunately for you, we don't play you every week tho so get it round yi.

Are we missing Jacko (fantastic player work ethic one of the best I ve ever seen) ?
BUT !!! We re now playing too quicker attacking young lads and starting to show signs of promise Too many times Jacko s the lone striker having to chase down and win balls against 6ft plus defender s . I m not having a pop at Jacko probably more the tactics employed when he plays . Who would you drop ?
Off course I d have him back on a minute but I think we re making good progress with our style just now .
Hey am no manager just posting some thought s .

Bit of shit fest to be honest.

Brechin played well up to a point. They came and sat in until we scored then opened up a  bit. while we seemed to sit back, although Brechin did get more possession, they scored with their only chance in the whole game and while Orsi did well Sammy looked to be at fault. 

Second half Brechin sat back and packed the defence.  St Mirren plugged away with out doing anything great but eventually got the equaliser.

St Mirren not great but didn't need to be. Brechin at no point looked like they could snatch it and were there hanging on.

If I was a Brechin fan I'd be annoyed that they just sat in against an under par St Mirren and never really asked any questions. However, I think if Brechin had kept pushing forward then St Mirren would have picked them off.  However, you lost anyway so you might have made more of a game of it. 

Archived