Initiation Ceremonies

carpetmonster

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, banana said:

Reading those, I suppose by rite of passage I'm talking about gaining some experience doing something, some goal, some end achievement, something to be proud of, rather than just humiliation. Acting rather than being acted upon.

Now see, I have no problem with the concept of a rite of passage in order to gain access to an elite group, whether that be a sports team, military unit or even just adulthood. Acts of bravery, physical ability, religious ceremony or demonstration of some skill seem perfectly appropriate when there's a need to prove that you're 'worthy.'

I just find it interesting that so...so often these initiations take the form of sexual humiliation. Who thinks these things up?

20 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Yeah - leave it to the army to consistemtly plumb the depths of behaviour. I remember a guy I know who'd been in the engineers telling me about a game they used to play in the aptly named mess somewhere in Germany a while back.

Basically get a round in with one pint too many.  Somebody curls one out in the extra pint , everybody does their pint in a oner. Last one to finish has to neck the jobby-befouled one as well.

I can see why they started a charity called Help for Heroes - some of them fucking need it.

Could be worse. Could be forced to drink Fosters. 

20 minutes ago, throbber said:

They don't tell you this sort if thing in the army recruitment adverts do they? Instead they go with "Be the best" or "99.9% need not apply"

They could probably save money on their advertising campaigns by just having a shot of a pint glass with a big shite in it and a caption along the lines of "Drink Faster" rather than these cinematic ones that try to grab the attention of folk that think shooting brown people in the jungle sounds like a laugh.

54 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

They could probably save money on their advertising campaigns by just having a shot of a pint glass with a big shite in it and a caption along the lines of "Drink Faster" rather than these cinematic ones that try to grab the attention of folk that think shooting brown people in the jungle sounds like a laugh.

daddy.jpg

1 hour ago, throbber said:

They don't tell you this sort if thing in the army recruitment adverts do they? Instead they go with "Be the best" or "99.9% need not apply"

A sense of belonging may sound like a small thing. Yet it fuels you as much as food and water, because it doesn't just feed your body, it feeds your mind and soul

1 hour ago, NorthernJambo said:

"Willing to drink your pals pish? Not phased by a pint with a jobby in it? Good at dodging bullets? Sign up!"

They don't want folk good at dodging bullets, they want folk to take the bullets

Archived