Bookies Ettieque

HEY_SIDNEY

Was is the bookies on Saturday, which I spend most of my early morning picking out coupons etc. You know you go to the bookies too much when you get coffee put on for you as soon as you walk in.

I was sitting down at the tables and was just looking round at all the different types of people coming in and out. Sadly fascinating.

i noticed a lot of things that got on my nerves.

people hanging over the shoulders of those playing the FOBT machines. People that didn't know each other.

people shouting at the horses and dogs (I found this amusing) but shouting at top of their voice.

people on the ssbt machines on the phone to their mate looking through every game telling them past results and whether they should bet that game, btw this went on for a good 20 minutes. Why not just go to the guys house lol.

people with 30 coupons to put on. Then there's the Irish lottery punters with 100s of slips lol.

people who come in and rant about one team doing their coupon to anyone that will listen.

no doubt I may have been guilty of one of the above in the past, however anyone else got anything that riles them up?

I do my very best to avoid betting shops. Seems to be mostly the dregs of society that frequent them (present company excluded obviously). Online betting was the best thing to happen to the gambling game

Couldn't agree more on the folk watching people play the FOBTs, I get annoyed when mates do it never mind random folk. 

Grand national day is a test of mine and no doubt many others patience. "how do you select a horse" "what does each way mean" then when theyre given an answer still bewildered as to why ew is double their stake.

4 hours ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

You know you go to the bookies too much when you get coffee put on for you as soon as you walk in.

There's an auld boy who picks up milk from our shop for his bookie of choice every morning, and likes to say, "they'll no' let me in unless I bring their milk". He obviously means it as a joke, but there's a nervous undertone that makes me think that being barred is something he has nightmares about. Poor auld bugger.

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

I do my very best to avoid betting shops. Seems to be mostly the dregs of society that frequent them (present company excluded obviously). Online betting was the best thing to happen to the gambling game

I like the atmosphere in a bookies, like minded people studying manuscripts like medieval monks with occasional profane outbursts. I do nearly all my betting online though because the data available is dismal, and any mildly complicated bet is virtually impossible. Unless you get one of those machines where the odds are even worse than at the till.

I hate Saturday punters. My hound is going in the traps. I've been watching how it behaves carefully so can't bet 5 minutes before the off. Always fuckers putting on 10 £1 7 million to 1 accas. No bets under £10 should be allowed. Get to f**k you gadgie fuckers.

Ps the fecking betting slips are longer than an Andrex shiteroll. In fact probably all they are worth using for.

21 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I used to work across the road from a bookies so would always nip in to put a coupon on and without fail, the place was always reeking of shite. So my gripe is smelly b*****ds who go for a shite in the bookies toilets.

Aw mate I'm sorry I do this because the bookies toilet down my way is immaculate 

Hadn't been for years but due to accounts being limited and offers excluded etc I've had to go back in the last few years albeit less off late as offers have dried up. Quite like the places generally, not a place I'd stay in longer than getting a bet on and watching a race in though. The locals for me are inside a fairly shit medium sized shopping centre so not all that bad, annoying when people have a trolley in there or loads of bags of shopping.  Quite a few ladbrokes in Newcastle have closed the past few years, still about 6 in the town centre mind and ones now a betfred. Also the bookies are slower to do price changes on certain markets.  Been known to hit about 20 shops a day in the glory days of Cheltenham offers 

11 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

I don't see any need to go into a bookies when it's all available online or on the apps. Maybe been in a bookies twice before.

I assume it's mainly older folks these days that have had the bookies experience as part of their routine forever.

No, loads of younger people on fobt and people like myself who struggle to get a decent bet online. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got to laugh today in the bookies today and the old dear behind counter in ladbrokes who takes no prisoners but is really nice

Anyway at 2.59 today she had a stream of people at counter  trying to get fixed odds coupons on for 3 oclock

Clearly getting frustrated at people trying to shove coupons from all angles under counter at her she shouted

"right yous b*****ds have had all week to put your coupons on so dont moan at me if they dont get on in time"

fucking belter

Archived