Stenhousemuir -vs- Edinburgh City

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I also can't really understand the signing of Craig Thomson - why damage the goodwill of fans, neutral observers and the local community to sign a bang-average midfielder?

Yeah for all the stuff we went through when the signing was announced, the one thing I didn't actually consider was that he wouldn't be very good. I've not seen one thing from him to suggest his natural level is higher than L2. Don't get me wrong he's not a particularly bad player and he's not been particularly bad for City but as the poster above says he's 'bang-average'.

15 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Both of them are RSO's so little difference, if you condem one cub for signing one you should do the same with th other.

Just now, AllyMonc said:

Yeah for all the stuff we went through when the signing was announced, the one thing I didn't actually consider was that he wouldn't be very good. I've not seen one thing from him to suggest his natural level is higher than L2. Don't get me wrong he's not a particularly bad player and he's not been particularly bad for City but as the poster above says he's 'bang-average'.

Sorry Moonglum25, this is what I meant in regards to Craig Thomson's signing. For a team like Edinburgh City - still riding high on their promotion to League 2 and offering a genuine alternative to Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian as the capital's third team - bringing in a player like Thomson created a lot of negative attention and eroded a lot of the good feeling towards the club. You only need to look at a lot of the posts in the Edinburgh City thread to see the angst it caused amongst the support. On top of that, Thomson hasn't really done anything so far to suggest he's been a worthwhile signing.

In regards to Alan Lithgow, I've said on these forums in the past that you can't be nonplussed about his signing and critical of others. In the context of Edinburgh City, however, bringing in Craig Thomson didn't make much sense to me.

18 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Not convinced the disallowed goal was offside. Hat trick chance missed.

Never mind the disallowed goal, Mr Goals really should have made contact with Murray Innes' low cross right at the end.

Good highlights, we really did give them a bit of a bodying in the second half.

On 30/09/2017 at 20:56, Francesc Fabregas said:

A straightforward win and very well-deserved three points for Stenhousemuir. Other than a tricky 15 minutes at the start of the game where Edinburgh City enjoyed some decent play around the middle of the park, the home side were largely untroubled and dominated for long spells. The second half in particular was exclusively one-way traffic and it could have been a four- or five-goal thrashing at the end.

While Stenny spent the opening exchanges trying (and failing) to hit long passes up to Mark "Mr Goals" McGuigan, City looked to pass the ball between defence and midfield. There are some decent footballers in their ranks but, for all their neat passing, they had nothing in attack to remotely trouble the Warriors' backline. Other than an effort from a indirect free-kick - an absurd decision from Craig Charleston, given Ruaridh Donaldson thundered a City cross into his goalkeeper's arms - they created little and did not work Chris Smith. Stenhousemuir weren't exactly threatening themselves but Colin McMenamin really should have given his side the lead but headed Donaldson's cross high over the bar.

The second half was more or less all Stenny. Mark Ferry was imperious in front of the defence, shutting down any City foray, and Harry Paton always looked to get on the ball and carry his team forward. The contest was effectively finished on 65 minutes when McMenamin threw himself at McGuigan's low cross to open the scoring and, after that, Stenny had exclusive use of the ball. Paton won his side a penalty shortly afterwards, driving into the box and forcing the City full-back into a foul, and McGuigan converted from the spot. The big striker went onto net his ninth goal in eight league games when he expertly anticipated a poor header back to Calum Antell and sent a gorgeous little chip over the goalie and into the net. He could (and should) have scored a hat-trick at the death but he couldn't quite meet Ross Meechan's centre. Even although he scored twice and assisted the opening goal, he was a little subdued but even so, McGuigan is brimming with confidence, his little chip testament to his grit. What a signing he's been for us.

I didn't think all that much of Edinburgh City. They moved the ball around quite well in the opening exchanges but never struck me as capable of hurting us. Their full-backs look laboured, their wingers were unable to stretch us, and their forwards couldn't beat the Dunlop brothers. I think they'll be looking over their shoulders this season. I also can't really understand the signing of Craig Thomson - why damage the goodwill of fans, neutral observers and the local community to sign a bang-average midfielder?

As for Stenhousemuir, while I don't want to get carried away after bodying two of the division's lesser lights, it's hard not to be enthusiastic about this team at the moment. The back four were generally excellent - the Dunlop brothers strolled through the match, Ross in particular, Ruaridh Donaldson is getting better with every game and Ross Meechan was solid (although his crossing was poor on occasion). Mark Ferry had his best game for the club and was my man of the match, Harry Paton controlled the middle of the park and is developing into a superb little player for us, and Nicki Paterson and Jimmy Scott showed some nice touches. The midfield is very one-paced and better teams will run over the top of us (Stirling Albion, for example) but they were in good form today. Colin McMenamin, his goal aside, didn't offer all that much and Mark McGuigan, as discussed earlier, was the matchwinner, again.

I'm really disappointed it's coming up for the international break, it's good fun watching the Warriors just now.

I enjoyed reading your match report there Cesc.........even although I disagree with a lot of it!  It's good you're enjoying watching your team this season. Wish I could say the same!

Archived