Can Dumbarton beat the Amber Machine at Almondvale on Saturday?

16 minutes ago, Ayia Napa Daz said:

Sonsteam of 08 do you still think craig Barr is better than craig halkett and declan Gallagher?

Given that I've seen Mango every week, and I've not seen Gallagher play since we last played you lot, and prior to this weekend I hadn't seen Halkett since I watched Rangers U20s, my opinion is likely to be totally bias, but yes. Not in centre-mid, but at centre-half he would get into most teams in this division imho. He strolled it there for us earlier in the season with a nice mix of silky, confident play and full on aggressive defending.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.

Craig Barr was decent 6 years ago, but I don't think up to the level of gallagher/halkett/lithgow have shown this season.

I want a very detailed and fully justified explanation as to why you think craig barr would get into what is currently the best defensive line-up outside the premier league.

Whilst I respect your opinion so8 .i think your love affair with Barr is misleading your views.

i thought  Hutton was better on Saturday and didn't go around giving needless fouls including when Barr was back to his favoured position in defence.

foul for second goal absolutely needless a comment I was still making as ball hit net

6 minutes ago, Ayia Napa Daz said:

Ok.

Craig Barr was decent 6 years ago, but I don't think up to the level of gallagher/halkett/lithgow have shown this season.

I want a very detailed and fully justified explanation as to why you think craig barr would get into what is currently the best defensive line-up outside the premier league.

Craig Barr is better than Alan Lithgow - having seen both play for my club. He has similar physical attributes but is more comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

Discuss (6 marks)

4 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Whilst I respect your opinion so8 .i think your love affair with Barr is misleading your views.

i thought  Hutton was better on Saturday and didn't go around giving needless fouls including when Barr was back to his favoured position in defence.

foul for second goal absolutely needless a comment I was still making as ball hit net

To be honest I'm speaking more generally. I agree, he wasn't great on Saturday - I actually thought the same was the case against ICT when he was in there. Him and Hutton suffer from the same problem as Hutton and Carswell in that they are both too defensive. Ideally we need Wilson in there to do the attacking stuff, whilst one of the defensive guys sticks to breaking up play, staying disciplined and keeping things simple.

Barr looked frustrated, and the midfield two were totally dragged all over the place at the weekend. Totally agree on the second goal too.

Hutton didn't go round conceding fouls (to his credit) but aside from a clever quick pass to Walsh for the Nade header, and stumbling over the ball on the edge of the box, I'm still not fully sure what he did do. I do enjoy his outright refusal to ever use his left foot though to be fair - he makes Aggy look comfortably two-footed :lol:

You are one of the better posters on here Sonsteam but Halkett is one of the best defenders in the league, yes again that may be being bias but so far he's stepped up with ease, been one of our stand out players in just about every game and scored 4 goals already. 

Barr was a good player and still isn't a bad player when played in his natural position but I know who I'd rather have in my team and that's Halkett and Gallagher, we are very lucky to have them. 

Lithgow and Barr there isn't much between but given Lithgow has really stepped up this season and has barely put a foot wrong I don't think I'd swap even a Craig Barr from 4 or 5 years ago for Lithgow just now. 

45 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Craig Barr is better than Alan Lithgow - having seen both play for my club. He has similar physical attributes but is more comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

Discuss (6 marks)

Last season I would've believed you. This season Lithgow has somehow become 10x the player he once was, pretty safe to say our back 3 partnership is one of the (if not the) best defensive partnerships outwith the Premier League. I don't think there's a defender at any other team I'd take over Halkett either.

Safe to say he'll probably be away in January to a English Championship side more than likely

4 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

You are one of the better posters on here Sonsteam but Halkett is one of the best defenders in the league, yes again that may be being bias but so far he's stepped up with ease, been one of our stand out players in just about every game and scored 4 goals already. 

Barr was a good player and still isn't a bad player when played in his natural position but I know who I'd rather have in my team and that's Halkett and Gallagher, we are very lucky to have them. 

Lithgow and Barr there isn't much between but given Lithgow has really stepped up this season and has barely put a foot wrong I don't think I'd swap even a Craig Barr from 4 or 5 years ago for Lithgow just now. 

Fair play Andy. Like I said the last time I really saw Halkett play was for the Rangers Reserves/20s at Auchenhowie - where I didn't really notice him much, albeit he would've been very young at the time. Luca Gasparotto was regarded by most folk at those games as 'the next big thing' (and was always kicking about MIlngavie) so I kept an eye out for him, but he's hardly hit the heights with Falkirk, so it shows what they know! 

Actually dug out a few teamsheets from those games, and there's quite a number of future Sons and, Livi players - as well as a host of future Championship (and below) guys.

Scott Gallacher, Stuart Urquhart, Liam Kelly, Calum Gallagher, Halkett, Charlie Telfer, Tom Walsh and Darren Cole (:lol:) are all in one. With Andy Mitchell, Luca, Robbie Crawford and Kal Naismith also in the squad.

Pretty sad that a Dumbarton Reserves team beat that side - and out of our squad nobody kicked on to be a first team regular. Coleman, McKerracher, Metcalfe, Horne and Reece Pearson all got into the squad at times, but are now all playing Juniors or not at all.

Just now, ATLIS said:

Last season I would've believed you. This season Lithgow has somehow become 10x the player he once was, pretty safe to say our back 3 partnership is one of the (if not the) best defensive partnerships outwith the Premier League. I don't think there's a defender at any other team I'd take over Halkett either.

Safe to say he'll probably be away in January to a English Championship side more than likely

I'm trying to disagree with you, but having a quick look at the league table is making it tricky. St Mirren have conceded more than us this season, Dundee United have 'The Edge' and The Pars are sensational going forward, but a bit suspect at the back - so aye you lot are certainly in with a shout. 

English Championship would be a massive jump though. Liam Lindsay was one of the best defenders in the Premiership last term, and even he only got a move to Barnsley - who, although decent, are towards the lower end of the table. Same too with Ben Heneghan who was impressive for Motherwell, and now can't get a look in at Sheffield United. 

Halkett for me will undoubtedly step up, I don't think it'll be January unless someone comes in with a decent offer which isn't likely considering he'd be out of contract in the summer. 

Sadly I don't think he will be a Livi player next season unless we pull of the ultimate shock and get promoted, then we may have a chance of keeping him. 

I think he will likely step up into the premier league, at a mid table side and if he impresses then the only way is forward for the lad. 

I'll enjoy watching him at Livi while I can because he really is a terrific player playing at the top of his game just now, and won't be around forever sadly. 

Lithgow has surprised the feck out of me this season, he's been tremendous for us. Surprising too that when he was out we really missed him more than we have Gallagher,  our biggest defeat for a long while and worst game this season was St Mirren and Lithgow wasn't playing. And we conceded 2 goals from set pieces with high balls into our box, which is very unlike us. He's also shown some skills playing the ball out of defence, which he doesn't get credit for.

Out of our back 3 i'd put Halkett, then Lithgow, then Gallagher in that order this season. Dec is class but he's not been as consistent this season, and isn't quite up to his usual standards.

12 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Lithgow has surprised the feck out of me this season, he's been tremendous for us. Surprising too that when he was out we really missed him more than we have Gallagher,  our biggest defeat for a long while and worst game this season was St Mirren and Lithgow wasn't playing. And we conceded 2 goals from set pieces with high balls into our box, which is very unlike us. He's also shown some skills playing the ball out of defence, which he doesn't get credit for.

Out of our back 3 i'd put Halkett, then Lithgow, then Gallagher in that order this season. Dec is class but he's not been as consistent this season, and isn't quite up to his usual standards.

Think he just fannys about like it's League 1 still, he does seem to get carried away and do too much. Lithgow keeps it safe and simple.

Archived