Can Dumbarton beat the Amber Machine at Almondvale on Saturday?

5 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It's a trap. I ended up lost in some shopping centre for about ten minutes!

To be fair, it's very easy to get lost in Livingston.

That was very much a game of two halves. So much so, that there was very little action at the Prunty end of the stadium. I thought Walsh was fantastic although I'm not 100% sure what happened with his goal but his energy and determination were spot on. Hopefully he can get a bit of confidence from his display today. Dowse isn't cutting it for me. There were two incidents that I remember. The first was when he was almost split in two by the striker and it looked like he'd scored but Hill came to the rescue. The other was shortly before the winner when he sent a clearance high and back into a dangerous area before it was cleared. I think he got lucky with those two incidents but he will cause goals if Stevie perseveres with him. I can understand why he's playing just now with Carswell and Handling missing but when one or both of them are fit, it's a Hill/Barr combo for me. Ali in all, I'm disappointed to have lost but we're in a good place in the league and even this early in the season, I'm confident we can achieve our goal again.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to have to say this about a Livi player but Mackin is a luxury we can't afford in the blood and snotters of Championship football. He jogs stylishly up the pitch,  does hee  haw and then jogs back and might head one of his trade mark flick ons to nobody in particular. Meanwhile the rest of the team work hard to win balls and get into threatening positions. I think Cadden going off and him coming on was one of the reasons we fell away in the second half.

A draw would probably have been a fair reflection of the game but we were on the other end of that kind of score so many times with Dumbarton over the last few years  that I don't feel bad about it.

That performance by Northcroft was as poor as I've seen for a while and there have been some awful ones at Almondvale recently. He got very little right and usually not in Livi's favour.

Dumbarton look a decent team quite capable of staying up again I think. However we've a long way to go yet and anything can happen.

Dundee United and Dunfermline next. We'll see what were made of after that.

Mackin was a waste of space today but he wasn't the reason we'd started to fall away in the second half. We had started to lose control of the midfield until Jacobs came on but more importantly, from about five minutes in the second half until up to when  the sons scored, Walsh had been consistently tearing Todorov and Mullin a new one . With McMillan  on  the bench I  really don't understand why we waited so long  before bringing him on. Pretty much everyone in the ground could see it was coming ; fortunately we had a get out of jail card today  which was in part due to the heavy kick up the backside of having conceded a goal.

Was also a bit worried when Nade went off; hes obviously lost a lot of weight over the past few years but he's no faster. Was actually relieved when Stewart went off and then they seemed to score four minutes later - just goes to show.

Said last week we need to stop giving teams a one goal head start and said the same at half time today. It ended up being the difference between a point and nothing.

Hard to take that given the 2nd half performance but we will play worse and lose. Plenty of positives to take, mostly Walsh's 2nd half performance.

On to next week.

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

Said last week we need to stop giving teams a one goal head start and said the same at half time today. It ended up being the difference between a point and nothing.

Hard to take that given the 2nd half performance but we will play worse and lose. Plenty of positives to take, mostly Walsh's 2nd half performance.

On to next week.

Surely you mean we'll play worse and win? 

On another note, One step beyond is a massive improvement on the Macarena for the goal music!

Just now, EdinburghLivi said:

Mackin gets a lot of unfair stick. Good option for the team.

In what way?

Genuinely interested to hear what he brings to the team that makes him a good option.

I know he's scored goals but is that really enough, he's not going to score that many to compensate for what he lacks. His slowness, lack of mobility, both make him a passenger where others are having to work harder to cover for him. We press from front to back, chase down the defenders making them play rushed long balls, then our midfield mop up the scraps and push forward, but Mackin allows defenders time to look up and pick out passes, then the opposition can bring it out of defence, through the midfield and it's a knock on effect throughout our team being on the back foot.

I'd love for him to do well for us but right from the first pre season game I saw him in I just thought he looked like a player going through the motions when chasing down defenders.

2 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

Btw what has happened to Alan Lithgow ? I was worried when we released Crighton and kept Lithgow and even worse made him an integral part of the side, I honestly didn't think he'd be able to step up to the championship, but by god has he proved me and I'm sure many others wrong.  

He has became stronger, has cut out the little mistakes he was making, hardly loses a ball in the air and looks composed on the ball. 

A goal and an assist today too shows he's dangerous in the opposite box. 

Was thinking this myself over the last few weeks, wtf has happened to him?!

He's an absolute monster at the back, doesn't mess about and does the basic level defending and gets the ball clear. That's what we need. No nonsense, he knows that he needs to keep it simple and does that. We have Gallagher and Halkett to do the more complicated stuff. So far Lithgow PotS for me as early as it is

Just now, EdinburghLivi said:

3 goals this season?

We are winning, why are people having a go at players contributing points to the team? 

Yeah I mentioned his goals (2 in the league & 2 in cup game), but it's his contribution to the team (lack of) that gets criticism.

Mackin is humpty. Doesn't have a clue what to do when he is on, runs about a fair bit but 99% of the time never in position.

If we are starting Mullen and Todorov up top, we have nothing on the bench which can realistically change a game if we need it to, although pile rather give Carrick a crack at the whip.

Today's game, as has been said before, game of 2 halves, but Dumbarton really should have left with a point. That was the worst I've seen us today, even worse than Falkirk last week. But, a win is a win, 2 years ago we would have blown that 1 goal lead to teams like Dumbarton.

Loved seeing Walsh at the end, smug p***k when they equalised, didn't want to look at the fans at the end for some reason. LOL

What a great win for us today , first half could have been 2 or 3 up. Second half Dumbarton played very direct and put us on back foot. Not a great performance but showed a lot of character to win that game today. Would have lost it a few seasons ago. Lovely skill from byrne at end enjoyed watching that , close control and nice touches. Halkett and Lithgow very good today. Penrice looks decent player. Danny caused problems again. Dumbarton will be fine I think looked a good side 

So, so gutting to lose that. To be in the ascendancy for so long and to lose the winning goal in such a manner is so frustrating.

Gallagher has GOT to come out and take everything there for Livi's winner, despite a poor header from Morrison. I've not been as critical as others have on Gallagher, but he's cost us there sadly.

As So08 said, it's not an exaggeration to say that Northcroft got almost everything wrong and that continued until the last whistle.

Our improvement second half is so encouraging, you just have to wonder when Aitken will realise that setting up with two defensive midfielders who sit just infront of the back four is costing us week after week.

Also think Mackin gets a pretty rough time which isn't really deserved. Haven't seen as many games this season but he hasn't looked anywhere near as bad as people make out on here, it's like we need a player to pick out for stick when we're playing well :lol:

Onto the game, and it feels good to be on this side of a late winner, good to get our first home win of the season too. Was a weird feeling going from thinking we could be 3 up at HT to thinking we were going to lose it. Some great defending the only reason we didn't go further ahead, first guy getting his foot in the right place to hook a header off the line, and the second one somehow getting in the way of Cadden's open (or not so open as it turned out) goal. Controlled the first half and had a pretty good feeling we'd see it out. But then the second half started and we didn't get started at all, that was mainly down to Dumbarton though who took the game to us and weren't giving us the time or space to take back control of the game, and when we did have the time or space it'd be a horrible pass to give it away again. Knew the Dumbarton equaliser was coming long before it did, and I've honestly no fucking idea what happened, must have taken a weird deflection and very slowly bounced into the net :lol: From there I had the horrible feeling they'd get another, had already convinced myself they'll score in the last 10 minutes so their equaliser coming on 76 gave me the fear they'd score again. 

Still think it's poor to boo an injured player off the park, same injury he picked up last season so hopefully isn't out for too long.

Delighted with the win, as others have said that's a game we'd have lost in our last few seasons in this league, so it's good to see we've got a team and a manager who can hold on and turn things around when needed.

Just now, LiviLion said:

Also think Mackin gets a pretty rough time which isn't really deserved. Haven't seen as many games this season but he hasn't looked anywhere near as bad as people make out on here, it's like we need a player to pick out for stick when we're playing well :lol:

Onto the game, and it feels good to be on this side of a late winner, good to get our first home win of the season too. Was a weird feeling going from thinking we could be 3 up at HT to thinking we were going to lose it. Some great defending the only reason we didn't go further ahead, first guy getting his foot in the right place to hook a header off the line, and the second one somehow getting in the way of Cadden's open (or not so open as it turned out) goal. Controlled the first half and had a pretty good feeling we'd see it out. But then the second half started and we didn't get started at all, that was mainly down to Dumbarton though who took the game to us and weren't giving us the time or space to take back control of the game, and when we did have the time or space it'd be a horrible pass to give it away again. Knew the Dumbarton equaliser was coming long before it did, and I've honestly no fucking idea what happened, must have taken a weird deflection and very slowly bounced into the net :lol: From there I had the horrible feeling they'd get another, had already convinced myself they'll score in the last 10 minutes so their equaliser coming on 76 gave me the fear they'd score again. 

Still think it's poor to boo an injured player off the park, same injury he picked up last season so hopefully isn't out for too long.

Delighted with the win, as others have said that's a game we'd have lost in our last few seasons in this league, so it's good to see we've got a team and a manager who can hold on and turn things around when needed.

Say no more, if you had you'd understand why he gets stick.

Afraid he just doesn't do enough off the ball to put pressure on opposition players for us to get back possession. Far too slow and immobile.  Toddy isn't the quickest player either but at least he pressures defenders into making rash passes, and puts in the effort.

Don't get me wrong, Mackin is useful in the opposition box for scrappy goals, but imo we need more from him than just being a poacher. 

Im also disappointed that our fans are having a go at one of our players, we have a good squad which Dylan is part of, he has contributed to positive results this season already,  let's not forget he's still joint top scorer for us. 

Yea he's not the quickest, it can be frustrating at times, but you can see he's certainly slimmed down since pre season, I see plenty effort from him when he plays and that's enough for me. 

Let's not forget he's still a young lad and this is the highest level he's played at in his proffesional career, he's still learning, I think I'll trust Hoppy with this one.  

So, so gutting to lose that. To be in the ascendancy for so long and to lose the winning goal in such a manner is so frustrating.

Gallagher has GOT to come out and take everything there for Livi's winner, despite a poor header from Morrison. I've not been as critical as others have on Gallagher, but he's cost us there sadly.

As So08 said, it's not an exaggeration to say that Northcroft got almost everything wrong and that continued until the last whistle.

Our improvement second half is so encouraging, you just have to wonder when Aitken will realise that setting up with two defensive midfielders who sit just infront of the back four is costing us week after week.

Gallagher had no chance with the goal an unfortunate header from Morrison but wouldn't blame the goalie.

Gallagher had no chance with the goal an unfortunate header from Morrison but wouldn't blame the goalie.

I'll wait to see the footage of it but my memory of it realtime yesterday was that it was headed from inside his six yard box. Which for me means that it's his ball, every day of the week I'm afraid.

If when I see it and my thoughts differ, I'll happily concede I was wrong, but Gallagher has cost us there in my opinion.

Archived