Inverness v Queens

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JessieField said:

Now that Lee Robinson isn't at Queens to "carry the can" I wonder how much longer before Martin becomes public enemy  number one? (At least Lee could occasionally catch the can so he could carry it!)

Read the first page of this, the first half of the st mirren thread and then the tail end of the Morton thread and I think you can see the jury is well and truly out. 

Martin being about as agile as a glacier doesn't absolve Lee Robinson of being a mediocre liability last season. It was a move near enough anyone who doesn't post on a Scottish Football forum pretending to be his mate would have done. Be it a poor summer on his personal part, or injuries or the fact we don't strangely refer to the ex-Sons players  on here by a nickname like their fans do,  it just hasn't worked out thus far but it could always turn around (Though it might require a few weeks to actually recover from what's holding him back /rescue Danny Carmichael from being trapped inside him.)

23 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Alan Martin will make sure of the points for ICT.  I would maybe even consider emergency loaning Callum Antell.

If he plays like he did on Sunday that is a certainty. But comparing him to Calum Antell, the worst goalkeeper I have ever seen in a Queens team, is a step too far. Take a chance on Leighfield for this one, or even Speedy!  We will be up against it on Saturday. ICT are hurting and they are a hard team so the physio could be busy. We will need to be at our best for this match.

I'm needing sectioned for going to this,  haven't ever been North of Aberdeen so this is all very exciting.

I'd start the back four that finished the game on Saturday and possibly go back to the formation that we played at Falkirk/Livingston seeing as Inverness don't have the same wide threat as Saints do.  I'd swap Martin for Leighfield because I think being able to move is a quite important thing for a goalkeeper to do. Also Kane for Dykes as I think we need to be a lot more quicker on the break.

Leighfield

Rooney
Kerr
Fordyce
Marshall

Jacobs
Rankin 
Tapping

Dobbie
Lyle
Kane

I would go with that team as well although I wouldn't be disappointed if he found a place for Andy Stirling instead of one of the 3 midfielders.

Can't think that Martin will start but I guess we have to accept that it is a big ask for Leighfield - that said his display at Livvy was infinitely better than anything that Martin has produced. If Martin is genuinely injured then he has to stand down or be stood down for his own sake. Even if his injury is better he is clearly not anywhere near the required level of fitness for this level of football.

Whatever team is selected can we please go there with a clear goal of trying to win the game with a positive outlook along the lines of the Falkirk away performance.

I hate to say it but with Inverness having a torrid time and losing almost every game I can't help but worry that we might turn up bearing the usual array of "free gifts".

Leighfield has to start.  The current situation is deeply unfair on Martin and damaging for the team.  I refuse to believe he is a complete dud because he was so highly rated by the Dumbarton fans, but he is plainly not fit for purpose as it stands.  Whether this is due to injury or not remains a mystery, but he should be taken out of the firing line until it is rectified.

You have to wonder what some of Naysmith's odd selections are doing for morale.  I'd imagine Leighfield felt rather frustrated watching from the bench on Sunday knowing that despite conducting himself well in his appearances and without any notable howlers he would likely still be second fiddle in the next game.  I can't begin to imagine how Scott Mercer is feeling about his move to us.  He has been completely frozen out, and some would say rightly so, but were any of his appearances any worse than Fordyce's attempts in the same position?  McFadden jumping ahead of Stirling is another similar situation that has already been touched on elsewhere.  Are Rooney and Dykes now ahead of Connor Murray in the wide midfield positions?

I don't think there is anything more frustrating as a fan than a manager trying to shoehorn players into an unsuitable system.

How can Martin go from being Dumbarton's  player of the year to what we have seen this season.

I am hoping he is carrying a injury because if not we have real problems.

I have never seen a keeper move so slow or look so unfit surely Naysmith must watch him in training  to see how good or bad he is

ICT are hurting and they are a hard team so the physio could be busy. We will need to be at our best for this match.

You overestimate our gashness

Leighfield has to start.  The current situation is deeply unfair on Martin and damaging for the team.  I refuse to believe he is a complete dud because he was so highly rated by the Dumbarton fans, but he is plainly not fit for purpose as it stands.  Whether this is due to injury or not remains a mystery, but he should be taken out of the firing line until it is rectified.
You have to wonder what some of Naysmith's odd selections are doing for morale.  I'd imagine Leighfield felt rather frustrated watching from the bench on Sunday knowing that despite conducting himself well in his appearances and without any notable howlers he would likely still be second fiddle in the next game.  I can't begin to imagine how Scott Mercer is feeling about his move to us.  He has been completely frozen out, and some would say rightly so, but were any of his appearances any worse than Fordyce's attempts in the same position?  McFadden jumping ahead of Stirling is another similar situation that has already been touched on elsewhere.  Are Rooney and Dykes now ahead of Connor Murray in the wide midfield positions?
I don't think there is anything more frustrating as a fan than a manager trying to shoehorn players into an unsuitable system.

Excellent post.

Leighfield's performance at Livingston for me shows he can handle it so I'd say get him on at ict unless there's massive evidence Martin has improved in fitness.

GN has assembled a pretty decent squad imo. Midfield maybe the weakness. We now get to enjoy the show and see whether he has a scooby how to assemble his best 11!

He's had the benefit of the doubt from me so far but it's his team this season so I need to see some delivery. Time to gel is fine but we have been going backwards last 2-3 games.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What's our record away at ICT like?

In my head it's pretty poor, but I might have made that up to suit a frankly twisted agenda.

Twice in 10 games since 1997 with the last win featuring a Derek Holmes hattrick in 2009. If there's a silver lining, the fact Johnny Hayes and Adam Rooney no longer play for Inverness should be a major boost for us IMO.

8 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Twice in 10 games since 1997 with the last win featuring a Derek Holmes hattrick in 2009. If there's a silver lining, the fact Johnny Hayes and Adam Rooney no longer play for Inverness should be a major boost for us IMO.

Ah but now we have Alex Cooper and George Oakley. Tremble in fear...

23 hours ago, BeeJay said:

ICT are hurting and they are a hard team so the physio could be busy. 

FFS, where does this come from? Apart from the fact that ICT are as hard as my first shite, a team you haven't played/seen since 2010 is going to keep your physio busy? Even Tokely has been away for 5 years.

torn between the idea of giving leighfield a chance to win the no 1 jersey or give martin a chance to redeem himself after the first goal howler last week (assuming he is "fit" to play). 

I don’t think Leighfield is a 1st choice Championship keeper but given the situation I’d agree it’d be the right thing to do.

8 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It has to be leighfield for me. And get Rooney at right back.

What's the crack with Carmichael? Is he anywhere near fit. I'd love to see him on the right and Stirling left, we'd have genuine width.

Sure Naysmith Said Carmichael prob out until around Montrose game next sat.

On 27/09/2017 at 15:32, Doonhamer doon south said:

torn between the idea of giving leighfield a chance to win the no 1 jersey or give martin a chance to redeem himself after the first goal howler last week (assuming he is "fit" to play). 

^^^ This is probably what Naysmith is thinking to himself as well. 

Archived