Inverness v Queens

If I'm spared, there will a time, long in the future, when someone will ask the question on who booted the ball way over the South stand from a free kick.

It went so far, I'm convinced it confused the average speed cameras on the A9

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely two points dropped  there but as far as games go it was similar to the league cup group games in that we couldn't finish to save ourselves. First half we showed far too much respect to a rank rotten Inverness side, Rooney was probably our only attacking threat was a brilliant strike that Fon Williams parried over and spent the first half giving Tremarco and Baird no peace with his running but having Kane and Dobbie up top meant we had nobody to hold the ball up and no threat from up top which limited us greatly. Stirling played a sort of free role switching sides regularly, which when he was on  the ball he was useful but his teammates had no idea where he was the rest of the time. We skied a couple of shots and Inverness had a header go wide and that was largely the first half. 

Second half we took over completely but be it Dobbie taking shooting advice from Kim Jong Un, or the lack of width and quality in the midfield (a shock I know) we couldn't break the deadlock. Naysmith made some strange subs like Rooney for Brownlie and bringing McFadden on but taking off Stirling earlier, it wasn't really what we needed but we really could and should have gotten a goal.  The referee seemed to lose the game a bit and the reaction of the Queens players for the handball penalty seemed to suggest that they had a case though the way the day had went, we'd probably have missed.

Alan Martin wasn't in any danger of getting found out today, Inverness were abysmal, they held up defensively but they offered nothing going forward, no quality out wide and were outplayed by Kyle Jacobs and John Rankin in the middle. They seemed to have resort to giving up a lot of really cynical fouls as they couldn't handle anyone running at them. Even John Baird who is usually a snarling nuisance against us, looked overweight and barely interested and their team was loaded with passengers. I can see why they are second bottom. Fon Williams getting MoM after making like 3  standard saves sums their performance up today.

Here we go again. Slagging off the keeper. Yes Martin had a bad game last week but he is by far the better of the two we have. Leighfield was a bomb scare against Berwick, can only imagine what he would be like against competent opposition.

4 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

Here we go again. Slagging off the keeper. Yes Martin had a bad game last week but he is by far the better of the two we have. Leighfield was a bomb scare against Berwick, can only imagine what he would be like against competent opposition.

Morning Alan.

5 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

Is there not a wee contradiction in there somewhere? You don't like people slagging off Martin but it's ok to slag off Leighfield? I'd class Livingston as competent opposition and by all accounts Leighfield did well against them.  I'm not saying Leighfield is better but he's certainly not a bomb scare. I hope to god our young players don't come on here as the last thing they need is their confidence shot by reading some of these posts. 

Atrocious from Inverness. Didn't think much of Queens but if one side was going to win it it should have been them. I don't think we had even a half chance to speak of really. Just utterly dreadful all over the pitch apart from Fon Williams in goal who made a couple of good saves. Big claims for a handball against Mckay in the second half. Didn't think it was a spot kick but maybe one of the club highlights will confirm.

I just want this season to over already.

Encouraging that we went all out for win in second half with plenty of attacking options.

Looking at the stats in terms of shots at goal - if we had been on the wrong end of such a one sided scenario in terms of chances created you can be sure that we would have lost the match. We very rarely get results that we steal from games but continually are on the wrong end of these.

We outplayed DUFC and had infinitely more great chances - lost.

We had many more chances than Morton - Lost

We had many more chances than St Mirren - lost

Same at Caley but at least got point.

Livvy away was the exception but neither side created much.

While it is very early days one big positive is that teams are not creating many chances against us but still manage to convert a huge percentage. We on the other hand invariably create a decent number of chances per game but conversion is very poor.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Big claims for a handball against Mckay in the second half. Didn't think it was a spot kick but maybe one of the club highlights will confirm.

Must admit, when I saw it at the time I thought it was a penalty instantly.  I'd have to see it back but I thought his arm was up.

7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Must admit, when I saw it at the time I thought it was a penalty instantly.  I'd have to see it back but I thought his arm was up.

That decision, or lack of one, summed up the referee yesterday. IIRC the Inverness player blocked the ball with two hands raised, it was a stonewaller.   Also how the Inverness no. 2 managed to escape being sent-off for an accumulation of fouls beggars belief.  He was eventually booked in the second half but committed further fouls both before and after that, most notably a "forearm smash" on Andy Stirling in the first half which the referee didn't even penalise him for.  I'm not just highlighting Inverness players, the Ref gave some poor calls against Inverness too but the ones he didn't give for QoS probably had a more direct impact on the outcome. Having said all that we can't pin all the blame on the Ref for the result, we were wasteful in front of goal which against any  team with a bit of skill and self-belief could have been costly, Fon Williams also had a couple of decent saves to keep his side in the match.  He wasn't in any danger of  any of his teammates vying for the Inverness MoM award.  

It's actually a bit embarrassing that we didn't win yesterday as on that showing Inverness CT are possibly the worst team we have faced this season, (ok  maybe tied with Falkirk)  and that includes non-league and lower league opposition in Cup games.  Queens really need to start seeing off struggling teams though if we are to stay clear of them in the league and maintain any hopes of finishing near the top four. We can't be continue to boast of creating  better scoring chances, shots on target, etc , if at the end of the day we are not converting that into goals and wins.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

That decision, or lack of one, summed up the referee yesterday. IIRC the Inverness player blocked the ball with two hands raised, it was a stonewaller.   Also how the Inverness no. 2 managed to escape being sent-off for an accumulation of fouls beggars belief.  He was eventually booked in the second half but committed further fouls both before and after that, most notably a "forearm smash" on Andy Stirling in the first half which the referee didn't even penalise him for.  I'm not just highlighting Inverness players, the Ref gave some poor calls against Inverness too but the ones he didn't give for QoS probably had a more direct impact on the outcome. Having said all that we can't pin all the blame on the Ref for the result, we were wasteful in front of goal which against any  team with a bit of skill and self-belief could have been costly, Fon Williams also had a couple of decent saves to keep his side in the match.  He wasn't in any danger of  any of his teammates vying for the Inverness MoM award.  

It's actually a bit embarrassing that we didn't win yesterday as on that showing Inverness CT are possibly the worst team we have faced this season, (ok  maybe tied with Falkirk)  and that includes non-league and lower league opposition in Cup games.  Queens really need to start seeing off struggling teams though if we are to stay clear of them in the league and maintain any hopes of finishing near the top four. We can't be continue to boast of creating  better scoring chances, shots on target, etc , if at the end of the day we are not converting that into goals and wins.

If we regard the bottom 4 as "struggling teams" i.e. Dumbarton, Falkirk, ICT and Brechin then your point doesn`t really hold water. Thus far we`ve taken 10 points from a possible 12 against them. That`s a pretty reasonable record of seeing off the struggling teams. It`s the better teams we struggle to see off.

19 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Fair enough. I was somewhat blinded by the sun in the Main Stand. Doesn't look like there are any highlights up yet to get a better look.  Yet anyway...

Shame QOSTV couldn't film from the west side for whatever reason. Mind you it would only show how empty the main stand was.

Shame they couldn't find room for Dobbie's free kick in the 15 mins though :whistle

5 hours ago, RiG said:

Looks like a good call by the referee not to award a penalty for handball against Mckay. Ball looks to hit him in the face.

5 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

No arguments with the booking for Tapping either - very clear dive.

Yep on both fronts, though I've no idea why McKay is jumping with his hands up like that. He's lucky it didn't hit his hand.

I'd also say both David Raven and Charlie Trafford are lucky boys not to have been sent off in that. Raven gets away with a forearm into Stirling's throat early on (not even a foul given), his "tackle" on Marshall is dreadful and could have been a straight red and then even after that he goes through the back of Dobbie in almost the same spot. Trafford has both feet off the ground when he takes out Tapping in the middle of the park, notwithstanding that he does get the ball first. And then after that quite deliberately bangs John Rankin in the head with his knee when Rankin is on all fours on the ground. That one's right in front of the referee. Lord knows how he doesn't get a second yellow for it.

We had much the better of the game but haven't really forced Fon Williams to do an awful lot. One save from distance from Dobbie's shot and the one at Tapping's feet that Tapping really should do a lot better with.

Archived