Airdrie v Queen's Park

an86

Turbulent times at Airdrie and a tough spell for us, so it's tough to know what to expect. To say that Airdrie hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us would be colossally understating things, but bad records have to come to an end at some point, surely? Looks like we created several great chances against Ayr and didn't take them. We don't have an out and out scorer, which isn't really a problem that's exclusive to this season. I think Jamie Longworth might be the only one to bag over 20 goals in a season for us in the past 25 years or so, but I'm happy to be corrected on that one if I'm talking pish. 

Sounds incredibly obvious, but it's all about getting the basics right. We've made so many silly mistakes, particularly early in games, which have led to the loss of goals and put us on the immediate back foot. Couple that with the fact that we can't score and it's a pretty major problem. I'd like to see Thomas Orr starting the game. From what I've seen, I think he offers the biggest threat in the final third. Given our record, I'd be absolutely delighted to come away with a point, but this is obviously a game that Airdrie would be expecting to win. 

Incidentally, can any Airdrie folk give a brief summary of what's actually going on at the club? No manager and a chairman releasing Romanov style statements about local journos. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, an86 said:

Turbulent times at Airdrie and a tough spell for us, so it's tough to know what to expect. To say that Airdrie hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us would be colossally understating things, but bad records have to come to an end at some point, surely? Looks like we created several great chances against Ayr and didn't take them. We don't have an out and out scorer, which isn't really a problem that's exclusive to this season. I think Jamie Longworth might be the only one to bag over 20 goals in a season for us in the past 25 years or so, but I'm happy to be corrected on that one if I'm talking pish. 

Sounds incredibly obvious, but it's all about getting the basics right. We've made so many silly mistakes, particularly early in games, which have led to the loss of goals and put us on the immediate back foot. Couple that with the fact that we can't score and it's a pretty major problem. I'd like to see Thomas Orr starting the game. From what I've seen, I think he offers the biggest threat in the final third. Given our record, I'd be absolutely delighted to come away with a point, but this is obviously a game that Airdrie would be expecting to win. 

Incidentally, can any Airdrie folk give a brief summary of what's actually going on at the club? No manager and a chairman releasing Romanov style statements about local journos. 

I don't think any Airdrie fans can give such a summary. It is true to say that we have no manager and a chairman who has fallen out big time with the local paper. Apart from that your guess is as good as anyone else. One thing is for certain and that is whatever is going on, it isn't good.

Despite our woes we are still potentially very dangerous.

Young winger Jake Hastie let himself down last week and missed the Raith game but he could be back to add a really powerful presence that was missing on Saturday.   When he's switched on he's sensational.   Furtado has been a bit of a presence up top,  if his finishing improves he could be scary.

We're very young (average age 20) and can be really Jeckyll and Hyde but if you catch us on a good week be wary.

20 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

Despite our woes we are still potentially very dangerous.

Young winger Jake Hastie let himself down last week and missed the Raith game but he could be back to add a really powerful presence that was missing on Saturday.   When he's switched on he's sensational.   Furtado has been a bit of a presence up top,  if his finishing improves he could be scary.

We're very young (average age 20) and can be really Jeckyll and Hyde but if you catch us on a good week be wary.

Still convinced, despite having retired, than Iain Russell will take to the field of play and score at least one penalty.

3 minutes ago, an86 said:

Still convinced, despite having retired, than Iain Russell will take to the field of play and score at least one penalty.

Tbh, one season was more than enough for me.   The b@#$%₩d missed his last few,  the crucial playoff one could have seen us go up and be a lot more stable now.

Think a year older, lazier and less motivated player would've done me in.

The chances we missed on Saturday were just ridiculous, and as we normally ship a fair few goals versus Airdrie, hopefully Gus will have the entire squad on shooting practice this week.  Galt and Brady are creative players so there will be chances for us.  A win would take us level with Airdrie and I expect Forfar can't buy a win at the minute, so the table will look a bit more comforting?

TBH been to a few QP games this season and really haven't been impressed with most of the new signings...unsure if there has been a change in scouting but the quality of signing has dropped off a cliff...think this will be a long frustrating season.

39 minutes ago, jinky said:

unsure if there has been a change in scouting but the quality of signing has dropped off a cliff.

My initial off-the-cuff response was to disagree with you about that Jinky, but now that my brain has caught up with my typing, I''m forced to agree with you about this as sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head. Ryan Docherty's already oot the door and the two Greens & Chris Duff are on the periphery with Luke Whelan and James MacLennan nowhere to be seen.  Michael Bailey looks the part, and recent acquisitions Jack Iredale and Ciaran Summers have fitted in nicely (jury's still out on Luke Donnelly) whilst Thomas Orr is looking out of sorts at the moment.

That's 11 new signings, and of the original 8 pre-season ones only Bailey and possibly Orr have improved what we already had. Question is..........is that down to poor judgement or simply a reflection that there's not as much untapped talent in the amateur and Junior ranks as there was previously?

18 minutes ago, The Spider said:

My initial off-the-cuff response was to disagree with you about that Jinky, but now that my brain has caught up with my typing, I''m forced to agree with you about this as sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head. Ryan Docherty's already oot the door and the two Greens & Chris Duff are on the periphery with Luke Whelan and James MacLennan nowhere to be seen.  Michael Bailey looks the part, and recent acquisitions Jack Iredale and Ciaran Summers have fitted in nicely (jury's still out on Luke Donnelly) whilst Thomas Orr is looking out of sorts at the moment.

That's 11 new signings, and of the original 8 pre-season ones only Bailey and possibly Orr have improved what we already had. Question is..........is that down to poor judgement or simply a reflection that there's not as much untapped talent in the amateur and Junior ranks as there was previously?

I understand where you are coming from but I do think there is more to our demise than that. The new signings have each shown some promising  talent at times, mostly at the beginning of the season but none of them have been given a chance to bed in with a run in the team. Gus was shuffling the pack so quickly at the beginning that it looked like one wrong pass and you're out. I think Duff has suffered most from this. I think he has promise. Also, remember that we really only lost two players of merit from last season. Zanatta who was excellent but on loan and McGeever who was a rock. Why we are so disjointed is disappointing but I do think Gus must shoulder some responsibility but for me the biggest disappointment is Willie Muir's total reluctance to come for a cross ball within his six yard box. This is a big change from last season and is unhelpful for the confidence of a new pairing of centre backs whoever they may be. I think Willie needs to take command in his own area. Ayr's first goal is a good example. That was a "keppers ball".

20 minutes ago, The Spider said:

A few of the key guys that Gus brought in had a season or two to bed in in League Two, which readied a number of them for the step up when the time came. There was also some continuity over that period as well. It's a tough market for us and the jump from junior/lack league football to League One is certainly much tougher. A loss of important players and high turnaround can sometimes mean a tough old season for us when we're in the league below, but it's ten times harder when you're up a league.

I think this is the fifth season we've been out of the bottom tier in my lifetime and we've never managed three seasons on the bounce. If Gus can help the team achieve three seasons in League One, on the back of a promotion, he'll unarguably go down as our greatest manager of modern times.  A huge task lies ahead, though.

5 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Also, remember that we really only lost two players of merit from last season. Zanatta who was excellent but on loan and McGeever who was a rock. 

So you didn't rate McKernon? I thought he was our best midfielder by a mile last season and has been a huge loss. 

Do accept that Willie has work to do in that dept but aside from that he is an excellent keeper.If you only lost 2 of merit there must have been a lot of under-performers with 11 newbies this season?

Absolutely agree about Gus having a significant role in engendering confidence within the squad and from what I see he is very quick to jump on players....he must have scouted or had these players watched and should be held responsible if they aren't up to scratch!?

Do think players need time to adapt if they haven't played at this level before,however,I still feel the recruitment could have been better....also,there used to be a conveyor belt of talent from the youth set-up that got a chance...does Gus prefer untested amateurs rather than young lads that have been nurtured and coached by the club?

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

A huge task lies ahead, though.

If you mean the game at Airdrie, then I agree with you. Let's take a step back for a moment though. Generally speaking, I'm assuming you're happy that we have Muir as a 'keeper? How about a back four of Millen, Cummins, Iredale and Summers or Bailey? Then what about a midfield of Docherty, Fotheringham, Brady & and one of Burns/Bailey/Duff on the left? I'm assuming that you agree that Galt is also worthy of a place, so if you had  any one of Brophy/Duggan/Zanatta up front, wouldn't you fancy that side to at least finish in 8th place?

My point is that I don't think it's a huge task in terms of needing to bring in several players to bring up the overall standard, but if he can pull another rabbit out of the hat in terms of getting a goal-scorer on loan then that's "all" that's needed.

2 minutes ago, The Spider said:

If you mean the game at Airdrie, then I agree with you. Let's take a step back for a moment though. Generally speaking, I'm assuming you're happy that we have Muir as a 'keeper? How about a back four of Millen, Cummins, Iredale and Summers or Bailey? Then what about a midfield of Docherty, Fotheringham, Brady & and one of Burns/Bailey/Duff on the left? I'm assuming that you agree that Galt is also worthy of a place, so if you had  any one of Brophy/Duggan/Zanatta up front, wouldn't you fancy that side to at least finish in 8th place?

My point is that I don't think it's a huge task in terms of needing to bring in several players to bring up the overall standard, but if he can pull another rabbit out of the hat in terms of getting a goal-scorer on loan then that's "all" that's needed.

I mean the whole season. I think Bailey and Summers fall into the "too early to say" category. I think we need something else in midfield with a bit more dig and drive, but guys like McKernon don't turn up every season. Iredale looks like he's a very composed player, but we don't know if that'll be extended beyond January.  Up front, as it quite often is at Queen's Park, is a huge problem for us. Also have to factor in the existing players and new players gelling and a bit of a lack of proven depth if we pick up injuries.  Having said that, all it takes is a couple of results and the whole mood can change, but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that we'll be in and around the scrap. 

18 minutes ago, jinky said:

.also,there used to be a conveyor belt of talent from the youth set-up that got a chance...does Gus prefer untested amateurs rather than young lads that have been nurtured and coached by the club?

Liam Brown did well for us in League 2 when he broke into the team. I think he struggled a bit last season when he played but I was looking forward to him being a big player for us this season. Unfortunately Motherwell had other ideas and signed him. 

It was November before we started to click last year so we're still on track for mid-table mediocrity. The stuff of legends. The September card looked tough but if you can ignore the GA column for a minute we're actually doing okay. A bit fluky against EF but unlucky against Ayr. Haven't seen so many clear cut chances for us in years, let alone missed clear cut chances. The whisper is coming to a shout and there's every prospect, encourage by Airdrie's dysfunction, that this week and the upcoming Forfar game will settle the team down.

As for judgement on the boss, it's fair to consider that QP is the only team in the leagues that can't sign players until the start of July. Couple that with the early season start in the Challenge Cup and it's not surprising we're slow starters. And as a consequence of the very short summer, unfortunately, some players are signed when they shouldn't be. It's how it is.

...is that down to poor judgement or simply a reflection that there's not as much untapped talent in the amateur and Junior ranks as there was previously?

Or perhaps we've recycled so many back into where they came from the word has got round that the Big Hampden Dream Machine isn't what they hoped for.

Glenafton should really be called QP Auld Lads.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Or perhaps we've recycled so many back into where they came from the word has got round that the Big Hampden Dream Machine isn't what they hoped for.

Glenafton should really be called QP Auld Lads.

Easier life for a lot of the boys. Games are mainly pretty local and a few quid in the pocket. Fair play to any player who travels a fair distance for us every fortnight and gets very time on the park. A tough gig at this level if you're not getting your game.

Even the guys who are consistently in the starting XI and bursting a gut all week at work must wonder if it's all worth it when the alarm clock goes off for Peterhead away in mid winter, or taking time off for re-arranged games etc. It's often forgotten how much of a sacrifice players at this level make. Everyone involved obviously loves the game, but it's still a tough old slog.

Archived