Airdrie v Queen's Park

an86

On 01/10/2017 at 10:03, touchedbymadness said:

A really nice display from Airdrie but with just enough schizo moments to stop us getting carried away.

Similar line up to last week with only Hastie replacing Russell on the left.

Hastie probably had his quietest game since signing but at least he kept his gob shut.

The highlight for me was the interplay between our 4 attacking players.   The 1st goal involved some delightful interplay from Scott Stewart on the right and big Nelly.   The striker's movement and reverse pass opened a gap for Stewart to willingly exploit and finish.   Simple, effective, and stunningly beautiful to watch.

Seeing Stewart in full flow will always make me sick that we had to suffer Brown there all of last season.

Our midfield are keen and enthusiastic.  Luke Watt is a bit of a machine in there.    He has a few rough edges but will grow in to a very dominant cdm.   Big Deano is just full of enthusiasm.  He'll chase anything that moves with gusto.   And he's a decent passer too.  Great to see him get that goal too.

McIntosh and McDonald both did well at full backs.  McGregor is now looking the centre half his physique suggests he is.  Leading his troops and brave.    However his partner Brownlie is toiling.   IMO McIntosh should be in the left sided CD rile as he's the best we have there but it would unbalance the side more.  Let's hope Div settles a bit in coming weeks.

Fry in the 10 hole is hard working but it doesnt always come off for him.  Would be good to see him add more of a goal threat from there.    I'd have liked to see wee Conor McLaughlin get 15mins there at the end.

And what about Furtado?    The big kid has only turned 20 recently.    A lot of the play is going through him now and he's carrying the load well.    Not all is coming off as he's still very green but he'll grow into that role.   He strikes me as one of those types who'll score a barrowload next season in the way Andy Ryan did last.

And the age of that team.  Rohan and Hastie are teenagers, as were the subs Cammy and Nacho.   Right back, both centre halfs, all 3 midfielders and centre forward are all 20.    Stewart is 21 and McDonald 24.    Average age 20years old. 

Just remember that folks, support the team and encourage.   Feel free to destroy JB and McGowan right enough

is this a 4-2-3-1 we are playing

Watt and Cairns look v comfortable in the '2' defensive roles. Could be a challenge for Conroy to get back in as if anything he's more like Watt

I really like Fry as he gets forward fast - with or without ball' -  as seen in our second goal. Stewart is best bombing forward but for the moment Hastie is a bit rusty. Could Brown get back in for him?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

4-2 is hardly worth getting out of bed for tbh. emoji182.png

Aye, but your second goal was an absolute gift that should never have been gifted in a month of Sundays, so it should in all justice have been 4-1 - and that, my friend, is a pumping!

2 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

I know were utter shite, a team in crisis, struggling to make it to the end of the season, but you're taking this pumping really badly. 

Chillax bro.

Not entirely sure what's giving you that impression. We lose every time we play at Airdrie and generally turn in a horrific performance. Saturday was a classic of the genre. Merely mystified as to how people can get themselves into such a state about the opposition after winning 4-2.

12 hours ago, goodwin said:

is this a 4-2-3-1 we are playing

Yes, though technically it's 433 with an inverted midfield (two pivots - Cairns and Watt, Fry as the no. 10).

Watt and Cairns look v comfortable in the '2' defensive roles. Could be a challenge for Conroy to get back in as if anything he's more like Watt

Conroy is a class act who has been underestimated to some degree.    Playing him as a defensive mid is a a bit of a square peg situation, he's much more of a playmaker.   

Remember we beat a soft QP team yesterday, last week we couldnt beat  Raith team that the ML5 mob took apart.    Think we should give it a few weeks abs see.   The option of moving Cairns to defence is always there, especially if Brownlie continues to flounder. 

I really like Fry as he gets forward fast - with or without ball' -  as seen in our second goal. Stewart is best bombing forward but for the moment Hastie is a bit rusty. Could Brown get back in for him?

Not a chance imo.   Hastie did have a fairly quiet game by his recent standards but previously did more in 2 or 3 games than Brown did all season.   Cammy Russell, Jordan Allan and Tierney are still ahead of Brown.

4 hours ago, touchedbymadness said:

Conroy is a class act who has been underestimated to some degree.    Playing him as a defensive mid is a a bit of a square peg situation, he's much more of a playmaker.   

There's no doubt that Conroy has ability, but I don't think he's underestimated. Far too often he's completely anonymous and we need players like him to step up to the plate. He's a player who's been at a higher level but his career has been blighted by confidence issues.  He's ploughing the same furrow with us.

When he plays well, we as a team play well.  The results and performances suggest he doesn't do it often enough.

1 hour ago, Pesadilla said:

There's no doubt that Conroy has ability, but I don't think he's underestimated. Far too often he's completely anonymous and we need players like him to step up to the plate. He's a player who's been at a higher level but his career has been blighted by confidence issues.  He's ploughing the same furrow with us.

When he plays well, we as a team play well.  The results and performances suggest he doesn't do it often enough.

IMO, there are a lot of reasons we lost a lot of games but not sure Conroy is the reason mate, or even close to it.   He has some bad games like most players do but if we're looking for scapegoats I'm sure we could list characters like Ferguson, Gorman, McDonald, Brown, Fitzy, Leitch, Hutton, Mensing, Boateng, Russell (I), Brownlie, and many more have countless more contributions than Conroy.

Still think we'd get more out of him if we could push him further forward where he's far more suited.

43 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

IMO, there are a lot of reasons we lost a lot of games but not sure Conroy is the reason mate, or even close to it.   He has some bad games like most players do but if we're looking for scapegoats I'm sure we could list characters like Ferguson, Gorman, McDonald, Brown, Fitzy, Leitch, Hutton, Mensing, Boateng, Russell (I), Brownlie, and many more have countless more contributions than Conroy.

Still think we'd get more out of him if we could push him further forward where he's far more suited.

Not singling him out as a scapegoat. I just don't think he's got any consistency at all. As I've said, he's got ability but I've been to many games where he's as invisible as the likes of Brown and a few games where he's imposed himself on the midfield. I feel that when he plays well we win. 

I'll agree that he's probably better further forward but he's probably looking at what's behind him and thinking "they  need help", and he'd be right. 

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 23:42, qpfc said:

Does it every week but I quite like It.  

Aye, me as well. If only we had a few more with his fire and passion. It's a shame that quite  a few in our support disagree. The irony being they spent a fair chunk of the game getting angry and shouting at him because he was getting angry and shouting at folk.

Thankfully Willie Muir was on top form on Saturday to save us from a total hiding. First half we were ok but the second half was the most depressing of the season so far. Iredale had a poor game by his standards. Is it too premature to suggest we are in a fight with Forfar to avoid that automatic play off spot? The way things are going I'll take a play off against League 2 teams     

Archived