Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

Better than I expected and obviously it's good that they kept the Science Officer/Executive Officer from the other ship (I was a bit worried that Michael would be the only survivor) and that they aren't afraid to kill people off that we've met and have been in a few episodes. Still don't like the design of the ship, not sure about the propulsion stuff (as sci-fi it's fine, as Trek? Not so sure), not keen on the Klingon redesign and it's had a few clunky lines (mainly from camp engineer) but it's a hell of a lot better than I was expecting and given the number of producers/executive producers/produced by credits at the start (which is a nice sequence and theme incidentally).

Episode 5 has probably been the weakest of the series so far, but I still enjoyed it.  A few nice nods to canon as well. 

I've had my suspicions about this whole thing being set in the Mirror Universe and there seem to be a couple of really badly handled hints that this might be the case in this episode.

Ive been watching this so far and quite impressed tbh. I've only ever watched the original series and the original movies so couldn't really call myself a fan. 

Introducing swearing is a positive thing imo, as is creating a gay character and not making a big deal about it. My only problem with the last episode is that I preferred the original Harcourt Mudd to Dwight from the Office. 

Caught up with episode 5 the other day and thought it was ok. It was almost like the writers realised that they'd written themselves into a corner with the spore drove stuff? The annoying ginger lassie isnt annoying me as much as maybe she is meant to I think. They seem to be totally ignoring the background crew (is that a robot? An android? Just a guy with a motorcycle helmet on?) and I have no idea why a comedy character from the Shatner series turned up. It's decent though.

Didn't get the whole Klingon torture thing. They transport prisoners to a planet where they'll torture them? Why?

Then on the way they'll put 3 in a cell and beat them up one at a time. Why?

Never at any time felt the Captain was in peril - all a bit formulaic really.

Another very good episode this week.  Jason Isaacs is the absolute stand out in this show so far.

Spoiler

I think they're heavily hinting that Lorca isn't Lorca.  I thought last week that the whole series might be set in the Mirror Universe, but I'm leaning more towards Lorca being from the MU now.  As to what the end game of that could be?  Is he there to try and take the Discovery back with him?

Thought it was a bit of a guddle this week. Michael mentions that Tilly should aim for a move to a Constitution class like the Enterprise making out that's the best class of ship but they keep making a big deal about Discovery being the best ship in the fleet. They seemed to jump into the nebula using the spore drive (presumably using Lt. Stammit as the "pilot") yet didn't mention the tartagrade. They introduced a new (presumably) main character when they haven't fleshed out the other crew on the bridge yet. The Sarek mission was apparently a secret Vulcan mission and yet somehow Starfleet knew about it. All very messy. It was a decent enough episode and all but I've not been as keen on the last couple of episodes I have to admit.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:59, KnightswoodBear said:

Another very good episode this week.  Jason Isaacs is the absolute stand out in this show so far.

Hide contents

I think they're heavily hinting that Lorca isn't Lorca.  I thought last week that the whole series might be set in the Mirror Universe, but I'm leaning more towards Lorca being from the MU now.  As to what the end game of that could be?  Is he there to try and take the Discovery back with him?

Spoiler

I don't think it's the MU, Enterprise established the formation of the Terran empire back to first contact with the Vulcans,  so there would be no "we come in peace" Federation in this show, as it'd already be Goatees and torture all round. As for Lorca, I think he's just another in the recent line of damaged anti-heroes. It's not like the show has been slow in the past to go to the well of tortured, probably insane Starfleet captains, indeed, one of them - Matt Decker - even got a shout out when Saru was looking through his database of most decorated Captains in Starfleet.

I'm kinda enjoying it, almost in spite of myself. The Klingon redesign is pish (and the new character seems to me an obvious spy for them, if not actually a Klingon himself) but I find their motivations for the war quite believable and fits in with what we know of both them (for example, the Undiscovered Country) and the criticisms  regarding homogenisation and integration leveled at the Federation, notably in DS9 by Eddington, and most famously in the bar scene between Garak and Quark (Root beer, it's cloy and bubbly, drink enough and you'll begin to like it - it's insidious, just like the Federation). I can't get worked up about the whole it looks too futuristic thing, at some point we have to accept that a Sci-Fi show made in 2017 can't be a slave to the aesthetics of the 60s.

Burnham, Tilly, Stamets and Lorca are all decent characters and the action is decent. Not sure where they are ultimately going with it all, and I do miss the kind of philosophical brow creasing the good ol' Captains used to have - whether it was Kirk talking a computer into suicide (must have done it a half dozen times), Picard pontificating on morality and the nature of life, or just Sisko beating shit out of things. Having said that, take Sisko at the end of "In the pale moonlight..." - Is Lorca that far more removed in his morality?

Having said all that, if you want a really good piece of Space Opera, with some hard Sci-Fi thrown in, watch the two seasons of the Expanse on Netflix. Fucking amazing show.

15 minutes ago, renton said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't think it's the MU, Enterprise established the formation of the Terran empire back to first contact with the Vulcans,  so there would be no "we come in peace" Federation in this show, as it'd already be Goatees and torture all round. As for Lorca, I think he's just another in the recent line of damaged anti-heroes. It's not like the show has been slow in the past to go to the well of tortured, probably insane Starfleet captains, indeed, one of them - Matt Decker - even got a shout out when Saru was looking through his database of most decorated Captains in Starfleet.

Having said all that, if you want a really good piece of Space Opera, with some hard Sci-Fi thrown in, watch the two seasons of the Expanse on Netflix. Fucking amazing show.

Funnily enough, I've rattled through the first season of The Expanse over the last week.  Really enjoying it.  I love the sense of scale of the programme.  And Naomi is a wid.

I'm kinda enjoying it, almost in spite of myself. The Klingon redesign is pish (and the new character seems to me an obvious spy for them, if not actually a Klingon himself) but I find their motivations for the war quite believable and fits in with what we know of both them (for example, the Undiscovered Country) and the criticisms  regarding homogenisation and integration leveled at the Federation, notably in DS9 by Eddington, and most famously in the bar scene between Garak and Quark (Root beer, it's cloy and bubbly, drink enough and you'll begin to like it - it's insidious, just like the Federation). I can't get worked up about the whole it looks too futuristic thing, at some point we have to accept that a Sci-Fi show made in 2017 can't be a slave to the aesthetics of the 60s.
Burnham, Tilly, Stamets and Lorca are all decent characters and the action is decent. Not sure where they are ultimately going with it all, and I do miss the kind of philosophical brow creasing the good ol' Captains used to have - whether it was Kirk talking a computer into suicide (must have done it a half dozen times), Picard pontificating on morality and the nature of life, or just Sisko beating shit out of things. Having said that, take Sisko at the end of "In the pale moonlight..." - Is Lorca that far more removed in his morality?

I hadn't spotted Commodore Decker (had heard April, Archer, Gerogiou (that was lucky for the show! [emoji14] ) and Pike which were obviously all nice nods to canon.

You're probably right about the new guy - and I'm half remembering something that might have been mentioned elsewhere about the reason (other than cost, obviously) that Kirk-era Klingons didn't have ridges is that they did some genetic engineering to look more human for spent reason? - so I wonder if that's a storyline they are going to go down. It's been picked up for a second season so clearly enough people are buying CBS All Action or watching worldwide on Netflix to keep it running.

7 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Funnily enough, I've rattled through the first season of The Expanse over the last week.  Really enjoying it.  I love the sense of scale of the programme.  And Naomi is a wid.

I've read the books and the sense of scale that develops will blow your mind. Fantastic stuff.

9 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Think I over binged on it a while back and it seemed to be turning into a TV Soap. The editing back to Earth for quick scenes got clumsy. Loving Series 2 and the going back to Eros thing.

Edited by welshbairn

I was sitting this morning thinking, as you do, about Star Trek transporter technology. Now this is a device that basically maps people down to the atomic level and then "transports" them. In which case, toilets are redundant surely? The transporter can simply transport urine out of your bladder and solids out of your colon - this is why we never see anybody using a loo in Star Trek I suppose.

Similarly shaving - the transporter can simply map your face and remove the bristles.

Any other uses for transporter tech?

I was sitting this morning thinking, as you do, about Star Trek transporter technology. Now this is a device that basically maps people down to the atomic level and then "transports" them. In which case, toilets are redundant surely? The transporter can simply transport urine out of your bladder and solids out of your colon - this is why we never see anybody using a loo in Star Trek I suppose.

Similarly shaving - the transporter can simply map your face and remove the bristles.

[sad geek]There's a toilet at the back of the Enterprise D Bridge in Next Generation, it's marked on the floor plan in the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual and apparently there is one episode where a crewman comes out the door that says "Head" - it's near the Observation Lounge door. I can't remember which episode though or if he washed his hands. [/sad geek]

Wouldn't those be hugely wasteful in terms of energy usage anyway? And can you beam parts of a person without the rest of the person? Could you remove faulty organs or do a C-section without cutting into the womb? Am I thinking too much about this?

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 07:23, NewBornBairn said:

Imagine if you fucked up your transporter lock on, and suddenly it's not just the contents of your colon, but half your actual colon and smaller intestine floating about in space.

On 27/10/2017 at 07:23, NewBornBairn said:

"Surpise" sex?