Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

The main character's name is annoying as f**k.

First 2 episodes were ok. I'm not entirely convinced that it's a strong enough plot for a whole new series. There has to be more than just Federation v Klingon. That maybe sustains a series or two but isnt enough to keep a whole new Trek property going for a number of years.

Just finished it and have to admit I really enjoyed it, it's only 10 or 12 episodes isn't it? so I think the whole Klingon/Federation war could easily cover the series, finally laying down some canon to such an important period of the Star Trek universe can surely only be a good thing!!!

The only thing I didn't like is the new look they've given the Klingons, they just don't look like the warrior race they have always previously been, I wasn't a fan of the perms and ponytails they cultivated in the later TNG seasons and continued with in DS9 but they looked more of a viable fighting species than the scabby lizards of restricted movement dressed in the Hellraiser punishment gear they're going with now, Worf, Kang, Kor and Chang would kick these guys a new ring piece in a square go I reckon!!!

Anyway as I said, enjoyed it and will keep watching and it's great to see Clem Fandango getting another gig!!!

I was well pleased by that, people inventing political agendas for it are daft. Klingons looked a bit too rubbery for me, like Halloween masks, but not too bothered. What I'd like is going back to a single story line per episode instead of a never ending  space opera. The first two versions you could watch in any episode order you wanted without losing the thread. The idea of a beginning, middle and an end within an hour seems to be lost in the world of box sets.

11 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Just finished the 3rd episode and thought it was the best so far. 

The opening 2 were good, but the 3rd was a belter.  It reminded me of Alien once they got onto the Glenn

I don't think everything is as it seems.  There's too many things that just don't tie in with TOS or the Kelvin timeline.

Aye, Spock, remember when your mum read you and your foster sister stories together.  The lassie with the boy's name that you've never mentioned before?

I'm in two minds about this. It's got good story (so far) and good characters. But aside from a Star Trek badge on the show there's nothing Star Trek about it. It's dystopian - and the idea that they're experimenting on these lifeforms for propulsion, regardless of the dire potential consequences, just doesn't feel right. If this had been another sci fi show, I'd be really happy with it.  Just call the thing Discovery - and leave behind the Federation, Starfleet, etc. This is a good science fiction show - it just isn't Star Trek.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I'm in two minds about this. It's got good story (so far) and good characters. But aside from a Star Trek badge on the show there's nothing Star Trek about it. It's dystopian - and the idea that they're experimenting on these lifeforms for propulsion, regardless of the dire potential consequences, just doesn't feel right. If this had been another sci fi show, I'd be really happy with it.  Just call the thing Discovery - and leave behind the Federation, Starfleet, etc. This is a good science fiction show - it just isn't Star Trek.

This has been done in Voyager,  the Equinox episodes.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I had thought that, but there's no evidence (yet) that these creatures are being killed or mistreated. Just that they're willing to sacrifice a crew and a ship for these experiments. 

On 04/10/2017 at 13:23, Zen Archer said:

There's a similar thing going on in The Expanse on Netflix, which is getting a bit boring. On series 2, doubt I'll make it to 3.

Waiting for some sort of Section 31 twist after the black badges from the 3rd episode. Although i've given up on that being a fix for all the anachronisms on the show. As it can explain away the Discovery being kept secret never to be acknowledged on the main show timeline, but i'm not sure how it could do that with the changes with the Klingons.