Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

For me the episodic approach is best.  Each episode a different story all wrapped up by the end.  Maybe an underlying story arc but enough of a fix with one episode on its own.

One of the better Discovery episodes was with Harry Mudd and the time loop thing.  Can be enjoyed almost in isolation to all the other episodes.

By comparison one episode stretched into ten is like a badly chaired meeting that goes on longer than it should.  You wish weren't there.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

For me the episodic approach is best.  Each episode a different story all wrapped up by the end.  Maybe an underlying story arc but enough of a fix with one episode on its own.

One of the better Discovery episodes was with Harry Mudd and the time loop thing.  Can be enjoyed almost in isolation to all the other episodes.

By comparison one episode stretched into ten is like a badly chaired meeting that goes on longer than it should.  You wish weren't there.

...except they turned a comedy character into a psychopath.

I get what you are saying, but serialised stories worked well in DS9 and Enterprise.

12 hours ago, scottsdad said:

...except they turned a comedy character into a psychopath.

I get what you are saying, but serialised stories worked well in DS9 and Enterprise.

Ds9 doing it with the dominion war did it well because every so often there would be a normal stand alone episode that had barely anything to do with the big plotline, but still was written well enough to use the plotline and reference it

And sometimes they just downright left out the big plot lol

I asked ChatGPT to write an episode of discovery 😃

Mystery solved as to the writing standard!

Spoiler

Title: "Echoes of the Ancients"

Act 1:

[Scene: USS Discovery bridge. Captain Saru stands at the center, overseeing operations.]

Captain Saru: (addressing the crew) Set course for the Kaelon system. Lieutenant Detmer, engage at warp six.

Lieutenant Detmer: Aye, Captain. Warp six, engaged.

[The Discovery jumps to warp.]

[Scene: Science lab. Commander Stamets and Lieutenant Commander Tilly are analyzing data.]

Commander Stamets: This anomaly we've detected—it's unlike anything we've encountered before.

Lt. Cmdr. Tilly: It appears to be emitting an energy signature similar to that of the ancient Iconian technology.

Commander Stamets: Iconian? That's impossible. Their civilization disappeared millennia ago.

Lt. Cmdr. Tilly: Agreed, but the data doesn't lie. We need to investigate further.

[Scene: Engineering. Lieutenant Commander Reno and Ensign Owosekun are working on modifications to the ship's systems.]

Lt. Cmdr. Reno: If we're going to approach that anomaly, we'll need to reinforce the shields and boost power to the deflector array.

Ensign Owosekun: Aye, Commander. I'll get right on it.

Act 2:

[Scene: The Discovery approaches the anomaly in the Kaelon system. The crew is on high alert.]

Captain Saru: Red alert. All hands, prepare for possible confrontation.

[The anomaly emits a burst of energy, causing the ship's systems to falter momentarily.]

Lt. Cmdr. Stamets: Shields holding, but we're being pushed off course!

[The Discovery struggles against the anomaly's energy field.]

Ensign Tilly: Captain, we're losing power to the engines!

Captain Saru: Detmer, get us out of here!

[The Discovery manages to break free from the anomaly's grasp, but sustains damage in the process.]

Captain Saru: Damage report.

Lt. Cmdr. Reno: Main power is offline. We're running on emergency backups.

Captain Saru: Tilly, Stamets, I want a full analysis of that anomaly. We need to find a way to neutralize it before it poses a threat to this sector.

Act 3:

[Scene: Science lab. Tilly and Stamets pore over data collected from the anomaly.]

Lt. Cmdr. Tilly: It's almost as if the anomaly is responding to our presence, as if it's alive.

Commander Stamets: Fascinating. If we can establish a communication link, we might be able to learn more about its origins and intentions.

[They continue their analysis, trying to decipher the anomaly's signals.]

[Scene: Engineering. Reno and Owosekun work to repair the damage sustained during the encounter.]

Ensign Owosekun: Commander, I'm detecting a subspace transmission originating from the anomaly.

Lt. Cmdr. Reno: Can you isolate the signal?

Ensign Owosekun: I'm trying, but it's highly encrypted. It'll take some time to crack it.

Act 4:

[Scene: Bridge. Saru receives an update from the science lab.]

Captain Saru: Tilly, report.

Lt. Cmdr. Tilly: Captain, we've made some progress in deciphering the anomaly's signals. It appears to be trying to communicate with us.

Captain Saru: Can you establish a link?

Lt. Cmdr. Tilly: Not yet, but we're getting closer.

[The bridge suddenly shakes as the anomaly emits another burst of energy.]

Lt. Detmer: Captain, the anomaly is destabilizing!

Captain Saru: All hands, brace for impact!

[The Discovery is engulfed by the anomaly's energy, and everything goes dark.]

Act 5:

[Scene: Main engineering. The crew works frantically to restore power.]

Lt. Cmdr. Reno: We need to reroute auxiliary power to the main systems.

Ensign Owosekun: I'm trying, but the energy fluctuations are making it difficult to stabilize.

[The lights flicker back on as power is restored.]

Captain Saru: Status report.

Lt. Cmdr. Reno: Main power restored, Captain. We're back online.

Captain Saru: Helm, get us out of here before that anomaly destabilizes further.

[The Discovery manages to escape the anomaly's influence and jumps to warp.]

Act 6:

[Scene: Captain's ready room. Saru meets with Tilly and Stamets.]

Captain Saru: Your efforts in analyzing the anomaly were commendable, but we still have many unanswered questions.

Lt. Cmdr. Tilly: We were able to establish a brief communication link before the anomaly destabilized. It seemed to be trying to convey a message, but we couldn't decipher it in time.

Commander Stamets: Whatever it is, it's unlike anything we've encountered before. We need to remain vigilant as we continue our journey.

Captain Saru: Agreed. Until we have more answers, we'll proceed with caution. Dismissed.

[As Tilly and Stamets leave, Saru reflects on the mysterious encounter, knowing that the echoes of the ancient anomaly will continue to linger in their minds as they explore the depths of space.]

[End credits.]

• 2 weeks later...