Dons vs Saints - 30/09

19 hours ago, anotherchance said:

The last few seasons (with the likes of Hayes and McGinn) the hallmark of our league success has been long winning runs where we've looked convincing, controlling games, with our good players playing well in a recognised system.

We've played most the weaker teams in the league and scraped through in most of them. October brings Hibs away and Celtic at home - would like to go into those games with some genuine momentum rather than looking as unconvincing and jittery as we've done so far.

Good amount of points on the board but very much doubt a winning run is sustainable unless we improve the performances.

Hmm

I would say we were pretty unconvincing at this point last season too. We had 12 pts (compared to 17) and although we had played Celtic  & Rangers, fact is we got reamed at Parkhead and showed Rangers far too much respect and were pretty fortunate to win 2-1 at Pittodrie. We had scraped though in Europe against Fola Esch and lost to a bang average Maribor while in the League Cup we had been utterly unconvincing against Ayr, St. johnstone or Morton before that horrible capitulation in the final.

There were a lot of rumblings of discontent early last season and some were even calling for Deek's head and a lot of fans were suggesting that Hayes & McGinn in particular tended to disappear in the big games.

I think we'll be fine, once McInnes decides on what is his strongest team and stops playing fucking Considine at left back...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tarapoa said:

Just a thought.

Due to the LC semis, neither Dons nor Saints now have a scheduled game on Sat 21st Oct.

Aberdeen's visit to Perth is scheduled for Wed 13th Dec.   i.e. a midweeker in the pre-festive period when attendances can be poor anyway, and obviously so can the weather.

Why not change St Johnstone vs Aberdeen to Sat 21st Oct ?

A midweek game in Perth during shit weather and in the run up to Christmas almost guaranteeing a sub-3,000 attendance? That's a stick on for Sky Fucking Sports to move it to the Monday night, surely.

16 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Just a thought.

Due to the LC semis, neither Dons nor Saints now have a scheduled game on Sat 21st Oct.

Aberdeen's visit to Perth is scheduled for Wed 13th Dec.   i.e. a midweeker in the pre-festive period when attendances can be poor anyway, and obviously so can the weather.

Yes please, as I've a stag do that weekend and would miss an inevitable shitfest. SPFL, make this happen.

37 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Just a thought.

For goodness sake. There is no place for well thought out and totally sensible ideas in Scottish football.  Please delete your post. 

ETA - For goodness sake. Do some research before posting stupid ideas.

34 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Just a thought.

We have a game.

Half your team want to go watch the semis anyway.

Just a thought.

I’m washing my hair that day, sorry.

Just a thought.

Celtic the midweek immediately after the 21st, so might be a case the rest is beneficial.

Although on the other hand December was a c**t of a month last year in terms of number of games.

A midweek game in Perth during shit weather and in the run up to Christmas almost guaranteeing a sub-3,000 attendance? That's a stick on for Sky Fucking Sports to move it to the Monday night, surely.

The midweek game at McDiarmid, with absolutely wild rain and gales, remains the strangest game I've been at. Sure it was Peter Enckelmans last game for us, with him conceding from Aberdeens half.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The midweek game at McDiarmid, with absolutely wild rain and gales, remains the strangest game I've been at. Sure it was Peter Enckelmans last game for us, with him conceding from Aberdeens half.

1-1? 

Watched it in the pub with my dad when his plane was diverted from Aberdeen to Edinburgh because of bad weather. I'd just started uni, and that was the day we were doing the secret Santa in our halls. I got an inflatable sheep, naturally, which eventually met its demise at the Rory Fallon goal at Hampden vs Hibs. 

This game will be 1-1 as well I'd imagine. Stevie May and Stevie McLean. Neither will be particularly upbeat about their goals. 

Image result for steven mclean gesture st johnstone

4 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Celtic the midweek immediately after the 21st, so might be a case the rest is beneficial.

Although on the other hand December was a c**t of a month last year in terms of number of games.

Both teams have 7 matches in 4 weeks during December this year.  5 of which take place prior to Christmas, notoriously the poorest time of the season for attendances, so good going to squeeze in as many games as we can...

The people who organise our game really do a good job in attempting to kill the sport.

18 hours ago, Radford said:
Saints are at Murrayfield on Saturday 21 October to face Hearts.
I always enjoy trips to Pittodrie so am looking forward to the game. Will miss it when it's gone.

Are they? Oops, my admittedly hastened research was clearly from a dodgy website.

December midweeker it is then.  It'll still be a sh1tfest.

16 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

1-1? 

Watched it in the pub with my dad when his plane was diverted from Aberdeen to Edinburgh because of bad weather. I'd just started uni, and that was the day we were doing the secret Santa in our halls. I got an inflatable sheep, naturally, which eventually met its demise at the Rory Fallon goal at Hampden vs Hibs. 

This game will be 1-1 as well I'd imagine. Stevie May and Stevie McLean. Neither will be particularly upbeat about their goals. 

2-1 to the dons with Vernon scored early and Jack scored from the half way line . St Johnstone scored in the last minute. 

I think the first match was postponed due to waterlogged pitch (quite a late call i think) and got re-arranged for middle of December.  It was live on Sky sports and most have only been about 200 Aberdeen fans and about 1400 St Johnstone fans.

2-1 to the dons with Vernon scored early and Jack scored from the half way line . St Johnstone scored in the last minute. 
I think the first match was postponed due to waterlogged pitch (quite a late call i think) and got re-arranged for middle of December.  It was live on Sky sports and most have only been about 200 Aberdeen fans and about 1400 St Johnstone fans.

I watched that game in a pub by myself in Ipswich as was away with work.

Had to convince the barman to put it on for me, had there been anyone else in said pub he'd probably have told me to f**k off.

Safe to say he wasn't sold on Scottish football by that encounter.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I watched that game in a pub by myself in Ipswich as was away with work.

Had to convince the barman to put it on for me, had there been anyone else in said pub he'd probably have told me to f**k off.

Safe to say he wasn't sold on Scottish football by that encounter.

Looked a heritage site and it was our first away win of the season - 300 Aberdeen fans traveled. 

Aberdeen team: Brown, Foster, Osbourne, Mawene, Considine, Clark, Jack, Arnason, Milsom, Vernon, Fallon

St Johnstone team:  Enckelman, MacKay,  Callum Davidson, Anderson, McCracken, Millar, Murray Davidson, Maybury, Craig, Parkin, Haber

Fans moan about Motherwell game on Thursday night but those was dark days watching the team!

Fairly certain that the December game is Saints' lowest ever league attendance at McDiarmid (including First Division) and ergo the lowest league crowd since the late eighties. A year later we had a December game at Pittodrie where the conditions were almost as bad again. Would struggle to remember ever being at a match in worse weather than the McDiarmid one.

I think @Jamie_Beatson can confirm but a semi-amusing anecdote from that night is that Peter Houston was done for speeding on the A90. In court his defence stated the road conditions had been perfect. I think the judge swallowed it too.

Fairly certain that the December game is Saints' lowest ever league attendance at McDiarmid (including First Division) and ergo the lowest league crowd since the late eighties. A year later we had a December game at Pittodrie where the conditions were almost as bad again. Would struggle to remember ever being at a match in worse weather than the McDiarmid one.
I think [mention=1090]Jamie_Beatson[/mention] can confirm but a semi-amusing anecdote from that night is that Peter Houston was done for speeding on the A90. In court his defence stated the road conditions had been perfect. I think the judge swallowed it too.

Correct! If I remember rightly the police actually warned against travelling that night unless it was absolutely necessary. The weather was absolutely wild and it was ridiculous that the game went ahead.

A couple of months later Houston appeared at Dundee JP court charged with speeding on the Kingsway after doing punditry work at the game. His lawyer said conditions were "dry and fine" and he'd just crept over the limit... 75 in a 50 I think.

Archived