Dunfermline Athletic vs Dundee United

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Pretty sure from that account you are the one kidding yourself. The first half hour was one way traffic, we were passing it around with ease, just the end product wasn’t happening. It was looking like only a matter of time before we scored. United then have their first real foray up the park and get a goal. Still shell shocked we then concede another. Second half there was a nervousness where our players were not playing the pass, getting caught in possession or playing a speculative pass to nowhere. Your third might have looked spectacular, but that was due to combination of slack defending and a speculative effort. Our goal created a total shift in confidence back to the Pars, with the two goal cushion not seeming enough that you were time wasting (keeper swapping sides at goal kicks) and trying to do a Nat Wedderburn taking the ball to the corner (with somewhat less aplomb). Too little too late unfortunately.

Some of the feigning injury by United players was an absolute joke - rolling around on the floor etc. Nae need.

I’ve never been carried away, thinking the league was going to be a cakewalk, despite how well we’ve been playing and how many goals we’ve been scoring. Similarly, I’m not too downhearted with what I saw today, as United were not great despite scoring 3 goals. I think there are plenty of twists and turns to come this season, and we’re no spent force yet. Think Higginbotham had his worst game for us today, and coupled with Cardle being out our creativity was obviously stifled.

I know you must be hurting and football fans are precious over these kinds of things (especially the goal kicks) but just to address those two points in bold - Harry Lewis always takes his kicks from the right hand side of his box and he did so at every single goal kick yesterday. If he did keep swapping sides then the ref would have booked him but he didn't, not once. Also, to my memory, our physio Geoff Clarke was not on the pitch at all yesterday and I can't remember a single United player being down for longer than a few seconds. The second half was an absolute stroll (after a competitive first 45). 

18 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Having  played against both Utd & Pars this year VERY surprised with this result strange league so far

Totally agree with this. 

We took the knickers right off United in Paisley and they're one of the worst teams we've played this season based on thei performance that day.

Dunfermline returned the absolute pumping to us just a few weeks ago and our performance that day probably has dunfermline fans thinking we're also hopeless based on that performance from us. 

Now United have done over dunfermline quite convincingly it's beginning to show just how much of a cut throat league this can be and it's with other teams more than capable of taking points off all 3 teams it's showing that this could be quite a turbulent season for everyone. 

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fucking state of that team.....

Yeah , I've been reading on here that Fyvie is much fitter than he was v us . He had a gut and a fat arse that he was blowing out of that day , and going by that pic ain't exactly a lean machine yet !

2 hours ago, Gbud84 said:

Totally agree with this. 

We took the knickers right off United in Paisley and they're one of the worst teams we've played this season based on thei performance that day.

Dunfermline returned the absolute pumping to us just a few weeks ago and our performance that day probably has dunfermline fans thinking we're also hopeless based on that performance from us. 

Now United have done over dunfermline quite convincingly it's beginning to show just how much of a cut throat league this can be and it's with other teams more than capable of taking points off all 3 teams it's showing that this could be quite a turbulent season for everyone. 

The game in Paisley could have been 4-0 or even 5-0 and it wouldn't have flattered you.  The fact is that when we play one up front then we are absolutely terrible.  It's taken our manager a handful of games to recognise this (sadly he doesn't read P&B or would have found out sooner) and assuming he doesn't starting fucking about with the formation again then I think performances like the one in Paisley will be history.*

* Caveat - we will still play poorly on occasion with 4-4-2, I have no illusions about this.

I know you must be hurting and football fans are precious over these kinds of things (especially the goal kicks) but just to address those two points in bold - Harry Lewis always takes his kicks from the right hand side of his box and he did so at every single goal kick yesterday. If he did keep swapping sides then the ref would have booked him but he didn't, not once. Also, to my memory, our physio Geoff Clarke was not on the pitch at all yesterday and I can't remember a single United player being down for longer than a few seconds. The second half was an absolute stroll (after a competitive first 45). 

The point about the feigning injury - it kinda negates your point when you say that the physio wasn't on since the players were rolling around holding various body parts and then jumping up when the play was ready to restart since there was nothing wrong with them. MacDonald and McMullan clearly have previous with that so it wasn't totally unexpected. I don't have an issue with the goalkeeper though - the current laws allow him to choose which side he wants and he's well within his rights to do so, and Murdoch will also usually take them from the right side to hit Higginbotham. Had we somehow got a second goal it would have made things very interesting. Sadly several of our players had their worst games all on the same day.

he only goal that I would have any complaints with was the second as I think that 14 is offside and Scott McDonald is marginal however that doesn't excuse us leaving McDonald 1 on 1 for the rebound not sure why Nat is in no man's land for that one getting swung in.

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 14.03.52.png

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The game in Paisley could have been 4-0 or even 5-0 and it wouldn't have flattered you.  The fact is that when we play one up front then we are absolutely terrible.  It's taken our manager a handful of games to recognise this (sadly he doesn't read P&B or would have found out sooner) and assuming he doesn't starting fucking about with the formation again then I think performances like the one in Paisley will be history.*

* Caveat - we will still play poorly on occasion with 4-4-2, I have no illusions about this.

I really don't see anyone running away with the league like Hibs did last season certainly United should with the best budget in the league. This season will be full of twists and turns I see Saints ,Pars ,United being the consistent top three leaders not in any order. 

Despite playing pretty average yesterday I thought we were very comfortable bar the last 10 minutes when we sat in.  For all the goals the pars have scored this season I am struggling to think of many saves from Lewis. As a team we look far more comfortable playing 4-4-2, definitely a more solid look about us and having 2 up top who have decent movement means there is now options for an out ball as opposed to launching it to 1 midget striker. 

.  For all the goals the pars have scored this season I am struggling to think of many saves from Lewis.

You seemed to force our forward players 5-10 yards deeper than they'd normally like to be, this made it more difficult for us to get quickly in behind which is where we have got a lot of our goals from.

Archived