Dunfermline Athletic vs Dundee United

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun's over assholes

Ah cute, Falkirk finally won on their 8th attempt and think they can start talking with the big boys.

United seemed far sharper than us, if they can sustain that sort of performance they'll kick away from the rest of us, however their results so far including getting a skelping off St mirren would suggest that they aren't showing anything like that level of performance most weeks.

Time will tell i guess but I would suspect they have enough experienced heads to see them through tough periods without dropping many points and that will end up being the difference, it will need to be to justify the cash their spending.

Before United got the first goal I was hoping we'd get through the next ten minutes at 0-0, but the passing which hadn't quite come off suddenly paid a dividend, then McDonald's goal was the bonus.

I feared the size and physicality of the Dunfermline side, but although they appear to have strong players, many of them didn't appear too mobile. And the speed of Higginbotham and the others up front wasn't matched by them tracking back. 

Willo Flood was an upgrade at right back, Jamie Robson came on to a game, and generally there were few/no failures for a United side who look fitter as the weeks have progressed.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

A very strange game this one. Two poor teams going by that first half, with passes going astray all over the place and moves breaking down before they had a chance to develop and some strange refereeing decisions when it came to deciding how many "final warnings" some folk were getting or whether to book players after playing an advantage. That United were 2-0 up was flattering - the first was from a mistake then a soft save, the second was a very soft foul then it looked offside - but we were poor. We improved slightly in the second half but the third - a cracking strike that came out of nothing - killed the game and after that it was a training exercise. I've heard from a fee United fans that they were as good to today as they've been this season and we were certainly as poor as we were at Livingston or in the second half at Morton but the top 4 will all lose points from lots of different places I reckon. It'll be an interesting league and I wouldn't be surprised to see United's strength of squad see then top the pile come May.

You really didn't. As you say, when we scored the third the game was effectively dead but I thought Dunfermline were atrocious in the second 45 whereas in the first half both teams had a decent amount of the game and some reasonable chances.

We were all over the place at times. Wasn't pleasant to watch really but another decent crowd today. Great to see people supporting the product, a competitive league that we can enjoy (for the most part). Today was one of hopefully only a handful of shite performances that we'll have this season.

21 minutes ago, dafc_lee said:

Think it's going to be a repeat of last season. Not much between the teams but pars will lose against united regardless of the performance. Bogey team

There was miles between the teams today. Much more comprehensive than any of the five wins last season. Dunfermline were absolutely hopeless, gave United so much space and played a ludicrously high line. 

I thought we might just sneak it today but it was an absolute stroll. Some Pars fans seem to be kidding themselves that it was close. It wasn't close.

Dundee United won comfortably without having to do much or play particularly well.

Their defense was very solid and organised, the goals were two pieces of poor defending and a screamer, the reason it was so comfortable is that McKinnon outsmarted AJ tactically.

Realistically United would have been happy enough with a draw, so they set up to play tight and quite deep which completely negated our quick, counter-attacking style and we had no answer to it. We clearly were badly missing Cardle, Hopkirk was sitting too centrally as well as having a poor game overall which meant that we were having to channel everything down the right hand side, meaning every attack generally ended with a cross that was easily dealt with by the centre-backs.

Fair fucks to United, haven't had a particularly great season so far but find themselves top, being able to grind out results is huge in this league, but that was probably the worst we've played this season so far.

Hopefully we see a good reaction after the fizzy cup game.

ETA - Thought United were top, my bad.

Archived