The wee Rovers v Big Rovers

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

They put in New terracing Behind one of the goals I believe. I mean new , what I mean is a rickety terrace taken from an old Bellshill junior ground.

I wouldn't say it was rickety, but yes, like many things at Clftonhill (Cardiff Arms Park floodlights; Cathkin Park seats,; portakabins from who knows where) it has seen previous use. The biggest issue with it is that there isn't a roof... probably because we couldn't find a 2nd hand one :ph34r:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/09/2017 at 21:52, Scottydog said:

One of my last visits to Cliftonhill was a pre-seseason friendly some years ago, found my self standing next to Oscar winning actor Robert Duvall. Surreal or what?

That was the last time I attended Cliftonhill, my missus drove us through and went to bingo, I went to a wee pub up past ground then on to game. I have very little recollection of it, was it 0-0? Anybody?  Attendance was about 23...me, Scotty, Rab and 20 Albion fans! Cliftonhill for thrills!

This will be my first trip to Cliftonhill and for a few others in our group. Think this might be the case for a good few fans? Hopefully a good crowd through. We had around 400 at QP so would hope to have at least that number again. Maybe a bit more. Big win for Albion Rovers today so should hopefully be a good game with two teams full of confidence.
Wee Rovers fans, what's the best alcohol selling establishment to sample? I see there is one bar pretty close to the ground (is there a bar in the ground too? Away fans welcome? tele's?). Any pubs got the football on close by or in town, pool tables etc? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Owens Bar is 3 minutes walk from the ground, on the road to Airdrie. Pub grub, satellite telly and beer garden. If you want cask ale, the nearest is (Wetherspoons) The Vulcan, which used to be Jim Brogan's Sportsman's Bar, 7 minutes walk back towards Coatbridge town centre.
Incidentally, JB was not the only ex-Celtic player to own a pub in Coatbridge. John Hughes (the original one) had Yogi's Bar, behind where ASDA is now - and where, famously, Ferenc Puskas went for a pint after a friendly match in Glasgow.

49 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I wouldn't say it was rickety, but yes, like many things at Clftonhill (Cardiff Arms Park floodlights; Cathkin Park seats,; portakabins from who knows where) it has seen previous use. The biggest issue with it is that there isn't a roof... probably because we couldn't find a 2nd hand one :ph34r:

Was it second hand? I don't remember that. I'm not a builder, but would it make economic sense to lift, haul and reset concrete blocks?

8 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Does or did Peter silky Hetherston own a pub in coatbridge?

He used to have the aptly named Silky's but passed it on, and the pub has reverted to one of its previous names (Woodside Bar). I haven't heard that he's taken another pub on but others might know.

4 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

He used to have the aptly named Silky's but passed it on, and the pub has reverted to one of its previous names (Woodside Bar). I haven't heard that he's taken another pub on but others might know.

1 minute ago, Bold Rover said:

He did  "Silky's", no less. It's nowhere near Cliftonhill, mind. Down in one of the banlieu. Now reverted to The Woodside Bar, iirc.

Snuffy - it's as if we only had one brain between us...

1 hour ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Owens Bar is 3 minutes walk from the ground, on the road to Airdrie. Pub grub, satellite telly and beer garden. If you want cask ale, the nearest is (Wetherspoons) The Vulcan, which used to be Jim Brogan's Sportsman's Bar, 7 minutes walk back towards Coatbridge town centre.

That's brilliant mate, thanks a lot for the info. Trains arriving in at back of 11 so should be a good day! 

On 23/09/2017 at 22:26, North Terrace Gazza said:

Cliftonhill the second worst ground in Scotland, after Central Park, enjoy boys.

On 26/09/2017 at 10:50, roverthemoon said:

For me the worst in order are Central Park, Cliftonhill,  Recreation Park.

Morton's stand is cramped but if you sit in the front row away from pillars the view is fairly decent. Don't think we can feel too superior because if you're talking crap away fans experience then being stuck in the corner of the Main Stand at Starks Park must be close to being one of the worst views in Scottish football 

No doubt that Cliftonhill and Central Park are rivals for the title of worst grounds but Shielfield gives them a run for their money. It also has a a track round the pitch and the fans have to peer through steel mesh.  At one time it wasnt bad until they put the fencing up. Three proper shit pits.

1 minute ago, Big Berk said:

No doubt that Cliftonhill and Central Park are rivals for the title of worst grounds but Shielfield gives them a run for their money. It also has a a track round the pitch and the fans have to peer through steel mesh.  At one time it wasnt bad until they put the fencing up. Three proper shit pits.

I never noticed the mesh when I was down at Berwick last season, when did it go up?

8 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I never noticed the mesh when I was down at Berwick last season, when did it go up?

Last time I was there was the season we came up from the 2nd. The away fans were allocated a small caged section across from the stand. Maybe theyve taken it down since.

PS - just had a look on their website. They seem to have developed one side of the ground to make it all seated. The old covered terracing opposite it is still there but it looks like only one side of the ground is now in use. If so then its now a step up from Cliftonhill. Maybe one of the Berwick fans will look in and comment.

Things could be a lot better if clubs gave more consideration to away supporters.  Central Park wasnt too bad when we were allowed onto the high terracing opposite the stand before herding us into that corner. The same at Berwick, which is a similar ground. At the Recs how often have Rovers fans been squeezed long the low terracing with a poor view while the high terracing behind the East goal is populated by a dozen home fans. I accept the criticism that the corner of our old stand is not the greatest place to watch a match from either, tho far from the worst.  Even at Parkhead we were shunted into a low level corner with a pathetic view of the game.  I dont go to games now at Central Park, Alloa or Parkhead for these reasons. I notice that Ayr fans were also complaining about their positioning at Hampden on Saturday, and . Clubs should realise that  away fans are actually paying customers rather than inconveniences to be dumped in the nearest handy corner of their ground.

Obviously everyone is different but I'd rather watch Albion Rovers games at home, than a soulless lego land stadium with thousands of empty seats. Lost count of the superb games at Cliftonhill where the crowd was tightly packed in with superb games ( Ayr, Annan, Queens Park, QOTS, Morton, Airdrie etc etc etc) superb atmosphere for both home and away fans.  I personally dont give a monkeys If the toilets need  bombing etc etc... all about the atmosphere and standing watching the game for moi. Raith will have half the main stand seats and terracing in front of stand and the whole standing section behind the goal. Hopefully a big crowd on Sat - how many away do Raith expect to bring ? Sure If you google Albion Rovers v Ayr or Rovers v Ayr videos you will see the section behind the goal with fans... 

Archived