The wee Rovers v Big Rovers

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This'll be the first game I can realistically make in almost 2 years. I'm home for a wee break, maw's letting me steal her car for the weekend, so gonna jaunt along to this.

It's strange what you miss when you leave home: Spending your hard earned to stand in the cold in places like Coatbridge watching turgid pish lower league football...maybe I'll get a crushingly disappointing result for full nostalgia points? Can't wait. :thumsup2

Cliftonhill the second worst ground in Scotland, after Central Park, enjoy boys.

I would agree that Central Park is the worst SPFL ground in Scotland, mainly because of that fucking fence, but also due to the distance from the pitch, the state of that old away stand/terraces/toilets/snack van, wee neds, etc.

Why is Cliftonhill the second worst?

Which ground is third worst?

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I would agree that Central Park is the worst SPFL ground in Scotland, mainly because of that fucking fence, but also due to the distance from the pitch, the state of that old away stand/terraces/toilets/snack van, wee neds, etc.

Somerset... ;)

51 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I'd rate it worst in some respects, but at least it's theirs and it has character.

Unless it's changed in the last few years only 25% of the actual stadium is usable, granted the view from the stand enclosure is better than behind the goals at Central Park but it's still not a great  place to watch a game of football.

I saw Smith and Wright both notch a hattrick in a game there in the 80's so I have some good experiences there. That said I have bad ones too, my 1st ever away game in the supporters bus was to there in the Scottish cup in 1977. We were 1st division (going down) and they were 2nd div doing well with Bernie Slavin as top scorer in the country. Inevitably he scored the only goal of the game to put us out in a cold and miserable day at Cliftonhill.

As for whats 3rd worst I'm not sure but I'd rate the viewing angles at Somerset better than the redeveloped Recreation Park, since they made the place smaller I think Alloa's a pretty crap place to go for away fans now, the main stand at Cappielow is another non favourite of mine although I hear they are letting away fans into other areas now.

For me the worst in order are Central Park, Cliftonhill,  Recreation Park.

Morton's stand is cramped but if you sit in the front row away from pillars the view is fairly decent. Don't think we can feel too superior because if you're talking crap away fans experience then being stuck in the corner of the Main Stand at Starks Park must be close to being one of the worst views in Scottish football 

Albion Rovers fans, is there any obvious reason why your home record is so poor compared to your away one?

Seems utterly mental to have 4 wins from 4 away from home with a +11 goals difference but 3 defeats from 3 at home with a -9 goal difference.

Despite those stats I would be delighted with a win here. The start of a tough run of games. 4 of our next 5 are away and the one home game is against a team unbeaten on the road in over a year. 

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Albion Rovers fans, is there any obvious reason why your home record is so poor compared to your away one?

Seems utterly mental to have 4 wins from 4 away from home with a +11 goals difference but 3 defeats from 3 at home with a -9 goal difference.

Despite those stats I would be delighted with a win here. The start of a tough run of games. 4 of our next 5 are away and the one home game is against a team unbeaten on the road in over a year. 

I reckon it's down to the Cliftonhill pitch not suiting a team who want to play the ball on the deck. All our away wins, with the exception of East Kilbride, have come on decent surfaces.

I'd rate it worst in some respects, but at least it's theirs and it has character.
Unless it's changed in the last few years only 25% of the actual stadium is usable, granted the view from the stand enclosure is better than behind the goals at Central Park but it's still not a great  place to watch a game of football.
I saw Smith and Wright both notch a hattrick in a game there in the 80's so I have some good experiences there. That said I have bad ones too, my 1st ever away game in the supporters bus was to there in the Scottish cup in 1977. We were 1st division (going down) and they were 2nd div doing well with Bernie Slavin as top scorer in the country. Inevitably he scored the only goal of the game to put us out in a cold and miserable day at Cliftonhill.

As for whats 3rd worst I'm not sure but I'd rate the viewing angles at Somerset better than the redeveloped Recreation Park, since they made the place smaller I think Alloa's a pretty crap place to go for away fans now, the main stand at Cappielow is another non favourite of mine although I hear they are letting away fans into other areas now.

They put in New terracing Behind one of the goals I believe. I mean new , what I mean is a rickety terrace taken from an old Bellshill junior ground.

Archived