Cracking Free Kicks

We are playing Airdrie tomorrow. In open play Ryan Conroy is a bit meh, but when it comes to Free Kicks...

What's your favourite Free Kick?

Saying that, he also scored this one against Rangers from open play.

Bobby Sloan's v Brechin was excellent.

I recall Allan Walker scoring a peach against Dundee, but I can't remember if that was a free kick or from open play. It was the game we ended Dundee's long unbeaten run.

25 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I recall Allan Walker scoring a peach against Dundee, but I can't remember if that was a free kick or from open play. It was the game we ended Dundee's long unbeaten run.

That was open play. Utter peach of a goal too. They'd been giving it big licks with their Deefiant pish and how they'd kept going, despite spending half a season with Griffiths and Harkins who was in the form of his life. 

Kept our title challenge going an extra couple of weeks. 

26 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Open play. 

Sticking with the Airdrie v Raith theme, I remember a game at Broadwood on a freezing cold day years ago. It was absolutely dire, the kind of match that would get football cancelled. With a minute to go I said "these two could play all night and nobody would score".

Then Airdrie got a free kick 30 yards from goal. Up stepped the late great Stevie Cooper and damn near burst the net. Majestic.

Guido van de Kamp went up for a corner after it, which sticks in my head cos you never see it in league games. He didn't score.

Any by Craig Brewster

I recall him scoring a cracker in the 7-0 win over St Mirren and in the 5-0 win over Meadowbank.

Think I have the 7-0 game on DVD somewhere. Should really get it uploaded to YouTube.

Allan Walker did score a great free kick against Stirling away the year we finished second.  

Sloan's free kick away at East fife the last time we won this division was great as well, really tight angle. 

But the best of all????

It has to be Danny Lennon in Germany, in Munich, against Bayern, in Germany. Went straight in. Peach.  2 Oliver Kahn's wouldn't have stopped it.

8 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Actually Conroy scored quite a few free kicks for us...at home to Dumbarton on opening day and also a 40 yarder away at Cowdenbeath stick out. 

Was that the day Laidlaw hit the bar? It was a ridiculously windy day for a Summer game, and he hit a clearance which almost went right into their goal. 

At the risk of annoying Dunfermline fans....one of the best free kicks I've ever seen was Hassan Kachloul's first touch in Scottish football. Came on as a sub as we set up for a free kick, pushed the regular free kick taker, Jason Dair, off the ball and proceeded to curl an absolute beaut into the top corner! LEGEND

Archived