Winter/Christmas Break

Deego

Looking to get away for 4/5 days around early-mid December for some Christmas market type stuff. Had a look and Vienna/Bratislava seems decent, but flights seem a bit difficult from Scotland.

Any advice on getting to Vienna/Bratislava or recommendations for other places? Don't fancy Germany, as I've been a few times so fancy somewhere new. Not really got a max budget but cheaper is always good I suppose.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Deego said:

Looking to get away for 4/5 days around early-mid December for some Christmas market type stuff. Had a look and Vienna/Bratislava seems decent, but flights seem a bit difficult from Scotland.

Any advice on getting to Vienna/Bratislava or recommendations for other places? Don't fancy Germany, as I've been a few times so fancy somewhere new. Not really got a max budget but cheaper is always good I suppose.

Cheers.

Alright Deego. We flew to Bratislava from Edinburgh with Ryanair, reasonably priced and flight just over a couple of hours to get there. Not sure if there's a Christmas market as we were there at Easter, but Vienna is just over an hour away and Budapest an hour and a half away.

Prague might be a better bet for you. Flight from Glasgow and the Christmas market starts around December 6th in the Old Town Square and goes on 'til about January 6th.

Ryanair fly directly to Bratislava from Edinburgh twice a week, not sure if you just missed that. Only about an hour to Vienna on the train and depending on time it's not far to Brno either.

Poland is worth a look too, Krakow, Warsaw and I think Gdansk do a lot of Christmas market type things.

14 hours ago, Paco said:

Poland is worth a look too, Krakow, Warsaw and I think Gdansk do a lot of Christmas market type things.

I spent Christmas in Krakow a few years back, it was a bit shit, Christmas market included. Also the only place in Europe I've got food poisoning. Poland in general is a good shout though, plenty of cheap flights from Scotland and good value for money once you're there. Perhaps somewhere like Wroclaw.

On 23/09/2017 at 10:01, BallochSonsFan said:

Tallin?

Somewhere a bit different. Limited direct flights but easy enough with a stop over. Gives you the option of a day trip to Helsinki as well.

Tallin will be baltic at Christmas. Seriously, went to Vilnius around that time and it was 20 below. With a bit of wind it gets nasty. Riga another time wasn't as freezing but the constant cold rain made it more miserable.

Archived